Fuji Rokinon 12mm f2

There was a sale on the roki 12's plus I had an Amazon gift card for 75.00, so what the hell. I'm going to wring it out this weekend and see what I think. For some reason I don't see this as a go to landscape lens and truth be told I just don't know. I'm going to take it with me and shoot everything I can then see what I think.. I've got 30 days. I'm not a MF guy anymore, but we'll see how well I do with the XT20. I also priced a Touit 12 after looking at Bill's 50mm car set. Images like that will make me rethink MF.

Well the Roki came in today, put it on my camera. Of course no info going to the camera is the first thing I noticed. Being a landscape shooter that's not a problem. Jack the f stop to 11-16 and watch the EVF, your good to go. But I want to use this at 2.0-4. Was going to go out tonight for a walk around town but its raining. Coming up with a plan for tomorrow. It really seems to be an easy lens to focus until you get below 5.6. But I pulled off a couple of Beer can shots at 2.0 just sitting at my desk.:D

I forget what body you're shooting, but you've got the Focus Assist button back there, right? When I'm shooting it wide, as in f2-4, I use that a lot to quickly blow up the focus point (wherever it is!) to 100% in the EVF and check my focus.

Anything 5.6 or tighter, I just dial it out to infinity, then pull it back the tiniest bit, and everything's good from ~10 feet out and on.

Started out pretty rough this morning. 4:00 AM about. Forgot to correct this one. It's a little warped.
Foggy%20AP-XL.jpg

Wow rain again. Seventh straight day of rain here in central Florida. Might be the XT1 and 35 f2 today. I know the 16 is WR but it's the teachers pet.

Edit: went out and never left the car. Unreal this kind of rain this long, here.

Last edited:
Yeah the plants are probably thrilled with the rain.

I find that clouds and tree limbs are fun to play with, using this lens. They look kinda cool all distorted and stretched out at the upper corners. That, and shooting lower down, which claws in a ton of foreground.

Also of note: This thing shoots at pretty much exactly 90 degrees, so you can back into a corner and get the whole room.

Last edited:
Yep Andy, I find that if I keep the axis level on mine it is pretty honest. If you want the weird stuff just move it around a bit. I have heard of de-centered problems with this lens but mine seems good.

Yeah, mine is fine too.

I have an old Vivitar 19/3.8 which I used on a Nikon->Fuji focal reducer and that did really crazy stuff in one of the corners, so I ended up getting a Nikon 20mm instead (which was okay but was build like a tank) before I got my 12/2.

Well, I spoke to my nephew at the weekend and my 12/2 is way better than his, so I've let him keep it - on the understanding that he gets out and uses it.

I've not use it since I got the 16/1.4 - I know that the extra 4mm makes a big difference, but the 16 has been doing everything I need so it would be wrong to hoard the 12/2.

I got the chance to play with this lens for a few minutes. Unfortunately just indoors. This a shot of my pal Jeremy. Owner of said lens, and the good friend who always takes care of my Jeep.

28413853817_6902fe56e3_c.jpg

Back