Fuji Rokinon lenses for Fuji due very soon

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
A few of the Rokinion lenses that have been discussed appear ready to hit the shelves (and probably identical versions from Samyang and Bower...). I saw this on DPR earlier and all of the links to B&H show availability on or around March 25.

New Samyang/Rokinon line of lenses for Fuji X: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'm mildly interested in the 10mm f2.8 and possibly VERY interested in the 12mm f2.0. The 10 is a tank and will cost about $530, but the 12 is a really decently small and light lens and is about $330. I've been leaning pretty hard against the 10-24 for the Fuji system lately and one of these lenses might take care of having an ultra wide option beyond the 14 in my travel bag. Since I very rarely feel the need to shoot wider than the 14 when I'm using it, I might just get the 12 to have the option at very little cost in $$ or size or weight. And keep the Pany 7-14 for the harder core UWA outings when I'm not traveling...

-Ray

I'm mildly interested in the 10mm f2.8 and possibly VERY interested in the 12mm f2.0. The 10 is a tank and will cost about $530, but the 12 is a really decently small and light lens and is about $330. I've been leaning pretty hard against the 10-24 for the Fuji system lately and one of these lenses might take care of having an ultra wide option beyond the 14 in my travel bag. Since I very rarely feel the need to shoot wider than the 14 when I'm using it, I might just get the 12 to have the option at very little cost in $$ or size or weight.

I've been looking at these lenses as well because I very much like the quality of my Samyang/Rokinon 8mm fisheye for m43. But personally, I would not buy and carry an extra lens for the 2mm that the 10mm offers over the excellent Fuji 14mm. I would have considered the 10mm, but like you said, it's quite a bit bulkier than I like my mirrorless lenses to be.

Don't need any of them with the (to me anyway) excellent Zeiss 12mm. However, I don't know if there is a lens ever "too wide" and the 2mm between 12 and 10 is actually significant in some urbex stuff I do. I'll be keeping an eye on these but if I jump it will probably be after they start showing up used from folks that bought them but don't know how to use them well or whatever. They'll show up eventually, lol.

I've been looking at these lenses as well because I very much like the quality of my Samyang/Rokinon 8mm fisheye for m43. But personally, I would not buy and carry an extra lens for the 2mm that the 10mm offers over the excellent Fuji 14mm. I would have considered the 10mm, but like you said, it's quite a bit bulkier than I like my mirrorless lenses to be.

I'm assuming you mean the 12mm in the first part of your statement. And I get the point, but having played around with the Zeiss 12 briefly, I'd say it's a fair amount wider. Not quite as much difference as between the 7 and 9 in m43-land (Pany 7-14 v Oly 9-18), but it's the difference between a very wide lens and an ultra-wide if you ask me. There's something about the 21mm field of view in the 14 that feels like the widest standard lens I could use. The view is wide, but the perspective doesn't seem all out of whack to me. The 18mm equivalent you get with the12mm, as with the wide end of the Olympus 9-18, really feels ultra-wide. Like your whole perception of space and shapes and lines changes. It would obviously change notably MORE with the 10mm options (10-24 or Rokinon 10), but I don't think I want to deal with the price of the Fuji or the size of the Rokinon. So I'll probably give the 12 a try. I'm sure it won't be as good as the Zeiss, but I'll bet it'll have that UWA character that'll be worth having along on a trip. We'll see...

-Ray

I'm assuming you mean the 12mm in the first part of your statement.

Yep, I meant to compare the Rokinon 12mm to the Fuji 14mm. Sorry 'bout that.

I shot with the Sigma 12-24 on my FF DSLR, so I know what you mean by the distorted perspective of a UWA. Shooting a plain, empty landscape with that lens was... well... just boring. But once you included some foreground interest and put some thought into your compositions, the results could be quite surreal. Using it judiciously, I got some quite memorable shots from that lens.

With the 18mm equivalent FOV of a 12mm/APS-C combo, would be more reminiscent of my Canon 17-40. Still UWA, but much less so than the Sigma. And compared to the Fuji 14mm, I would gain a mere 3mm worth of equivalent FOV which to me is not enough to justify a purchase, or to carry it around knowing how little I would use it in comparison.

I can certainly see the appeal of this lens though, it strikes a good balance between price, performance and bulk. And I would seriously consider it if I didn't already have the 14mm. And I'd equally lust for something like that Sigma 12-24 for the X system, but given the cost and bulk of Fuji's 10-24, it's probably going to be a long wait.

Back