Fuji Rumor: Fuji just announced an interchangeable compact system?

wt21

Hall of Famer
43Rumors is claiming this, though I can't find it anywhere else (8.39am EDT) 43 Rumors | Blog | UPDATED: Fuji announces a new interchangeable mirrorless system for spring 2012. No word if it will be m43 or not.

This would be big and great news indeed.

My thoughts:
1) This is really cool!
2) Oly and Panny will have to do a Pro body. NEX 7 and now Fuji? They have to respond.
3) The Fuji system could be great, and now I don’t have to choose between m43 (love the lenses, but missing some sensor mojo) and NEX (I don’t like the look/feel, the lenses, and not even really their sensor. I find it overcooks colors).
4) More impetus for Canon to do SOMETHING

(oh, and 5. Nikon’s move looks worse and worse every passing day)

Exciting! I wouldn't be surprised that this would be true at all. I would think that they would stick with the larger sensor that they have in the X100, but what do I really know about marketing... I just know what I'd like.

Did you notice the updates from the German sites? Perhaps some of our multilingual members can translate some of the finer points?

I just ran them through Google translate, and found this statement at the bottom:

"Like, based in Kleve Fujifilm Electronic Imaging Europe GmbH announced on demand is also on the above, nothing is known or it is still not communicating. Shigetaka Komori has made a remark at a press conference, but neither said anything about the specifications, shown still pictures or graphics to look and technology." So, don't expect a DPR "preview" anytime soon, lol.

We'll have to see if Fuji decides to "clarify" or "explain" the comment. This is what you get when you follow the rumor sites :)

We'll just have to wait and see, of course. If its APS, the question is how the manage the size of the lenses. A lot of the 23mm on the X100 is buried inside the body, which makes the whole package compact. How do you do that with interchangeable lenses - I'm not sure. So they may end up with the Nex conundrum of trading off lens size (Sony 16mm) or quality (Zeiss 24mm). Or, if they're geniuses, maybe they can have it all? Or just go with a really limited range of focal lengths to keep the size reasonable? If they go with m43, they could make a really compact system with lots of good lenses already available, and I'm sure they'd bring a lot to the table in terms of sensor tweaks and IQ. Probably sell a lot of bodies but fewer lenses. Could be good for everyone. But I know there are a lot of people who bought the X100 who claim they'd never buy an m43 because of the sensor size. So Fuji will have a fairly fundamental decision to make here.

-Ray

We'll just have to wait and see, of course. If its APS, the question is how the manage the size of the lenses. A lot of the 23mm on the X100 is buried inside the body, which makes the whole package compact. How do you do that with interchangeable lenses - I'm not sure. So they may end up with the Nex conundrum of trading off lens size (Sony 16mm) or quality (Zeiss 24mm). Or, if they're geniuses, maybe they can have it all? Or just go with a really limited range of focal lengths to keep the size reasonable? If they go with m43, they could make a really compact system with lots of good lenses already available, and I'm sure they'd bring a lot to the table in terms of sensor tweaks and IQ. Probably sell a lot of bodies but fewer lenses. Could be good for everyone. But I know there are a lot of people who bought the X100 who claim they'd never buy an m43 because of the sensor size. So Fuji will have a fairly fundamental decision to make here.

-Ray

Fuji is, of course, a genius. The best camera is the one you don't have yet, so clearly the Fuji interchangeable is the best mirrorless yet! (at least until we actually get to use one, and then we uncover it's warts)

"Fujifilm will introduce a high-end Interchangeable Lens Camera System in spring
2012. This camera will achieve better picture quality in terms of high resolution and
low noise compared with 35mm full size Digital SLR."

Well, there might be a misunderstanding going on, the Fuji CEO probably meant full size chassis, while some "experts" interpreted this statement as full size sensor.

-Ray

Maybe it's possible to make an interchangeable system where the lens mount does go deep into the body of the camera? Or can that only be done in a fixed lens situation?

IMO, the X100 has the best combination of IQ and overall size out of any system out there. The sensor and processing engine is more than good enough for me. It's right up there even with the fabled Sony 16 mp sensor. So if Fuji can somehow keep that going, I'd be thrilled. No need for full frame or more MP.

Good to see this. Seems like the CSC market has encouraged a lot of good camera companies who probably believed they had little hope of competing with N&C in DSLRs. It will also be interesting to see what Ricoh and Pentax can come up with together building on their current range. The more the merrier.

Apparently, a few people are disappointed that this camera is not going to be a micro four thirds camera. Which got me thinking... Fuji is a sensor maker and they make very good ones. Since Fuji does not make a direct competitor to the M43 niche why doesn't Olympus go to Fuji to create a better M43 sensor? Why rely on Panasonic or Sony when Fuji could possibly take them further.

Back