Panasonic Rumor - Panasonic LX8

Status
Not open for further replies.
(FT3) Panasonic LX8 to be announced within a few days. - 43 Rumors

Hmmmm... I guess by next week we will know the truth about this one. Slightly bigger than the lx7. Would that put it between the gm1 and lx7 in size?

But most intriguing update is that it maybe a m43 size sensor fixed sensor camera will also be announced...

Gary

The GM1 body is notably smaller than the LX7, although depending on the lens, it could be deeper. But the basic body portion is smaller. So if it's slightly larger than the LX7, it's also larger than the GM1, by more than the LX7 already is.

I'm looking seeing what this one is gonna be. Seriously doubt I'll be in the market, but I loved the LX5 and LX7, so I want this one to carry that great tradition forward...

-Ray

I really eager to see what the LX8 is all about. The Fuji X30 is already rumored to stick with a two-thirds sensor. If that turns out to be true, I'll pick up either an LX8 or an RX100 Mark III.

I've been a good boy and haven't purchased a piece of camera gear all year. ALL YEAR.

That said, I am curious about the LX8. But if it's bigger than the GM1, I'm not sure...

I've been a good boy and haven't purchased a piece of camera gear all year. ALL YEAR.

That said, I am curious about the LX8. But if it's bigger than the GM1, I'm not sure...

Yeah, the rumors have rhe LX8 being ever-so-slightly larger than the LX7. But it seems to me that Panasonic should be able to keep the size down to at least approximately the same as the GM1.

After using the FZ1000, the LX8 will be a home run if they put a damn good lens on it.

I know that if I was buying a camera today, I would be waiting for Photokina before I put any money down.

I've been following the rumors too and it's way too confusing to even speculate about. We're just gonna have to see. After all of this, though, if they pull a Fuji and just update the LX7 with the same sensor and maybe a couple of additional performance measures and a built in EVF, I'm gonna be REALLY disappointed! There's all sorts of potentially exciting stuff here, but I have no idea what the final configuration will look like...

-Ray

Wow, so when they were busy denying a 1" chip, THIS is what they had in mind.... If it actually has a 24-90 f2-2.8 zoom and a built in EVF and is really only slightly larger than the LX7 (I'm kind of mixing and matching new and old rumors here - I obviously don't have a clue...), this could be a killer compact. Panasonic's most recent m43 bodies have sensors roughly as good as anything short of full frame. I wonder if the whole multi-aspect sensor thing (which I always found to be a HUGE strength of the LX series) will still be present here? A lens with that range and speed sounds like a real challenge in an LX7 sized package, but Pany has always worked something close to miracles with their LX series lenses, maybe they have another one in their back pocket. And some of the stills I've seen pulled out of 4K video from other cameras lately (including the GH4 and FZ1000) have been pretty spectacular, so there's huge potential with this camera too, even if you don't shoot a lot of video. I wonder if it'll share the predictive tracking AF that the GH4 uses - that sounds like the beginning of a game changer for mirrorless tracking.

Looking forward to the actual announcement.

-Ray

For some reason - certainly not because I have any more information than anyone else - I still suspect there will be a separate LX8 model. But none of us could complain if it's only the LX1000 and it turns out to be only a touch larger than the LX7 and is equipped as Ray outlines above. Well, there's always price to complain about. ;)

If it is as Ray describes I think the price will be tolerable. Has to come in at least $100 lower than the FZ1000, I would think, which puts it at $800 max. On par with the RX100-3, but likely improved in many ways.

But I don't expect to get those features and specs in one camera. Too close to perfect I'm afraid.

For some reason - certainly not because I have any more information than anyone else - I still suspect there will be a separate LX8 model. But none of us could complain if it's only the LX1000 and it turns out to be only a touch larger than the LX7 and is equipped as Ray outlines above. Well, there's always price to complain about. ;)

Well, the G1XmkII isn't really much bigger than the LX7 and they got a 24-120 f2-4.9 in there. The only downfall of that camera (aside from some performance questions) is the quality of the sensor, which is pretty old tech compared to the best of the stuff out there today. And it has a slightly LARGER sensor than m43. So Pany goes for a smaller sensor, a smaller zoom range, and a lens that's faster at the long (but not AS long) end. I suspect it's possible. It's not pocketable, but the LX series was never about pocketable like the RX100 and S90 type cameras are. They're just good functional compacts that can maybe fit in a coat pocket but are basically small and convenient enough to have one along most of the time. I'm pretty excited about this. I don't know why - I don't really see myself in the market. But I've loved the other LX series cameras and I've really been impressed by the amount of thought Panasonic has put into getting every detail of these things right. If they do it again, this could become the class of the compact market, at least until we see what Nikon and Oly are gonna do. I think it potentially leaves the X30 firmly eating it's dust...

-Ray

I'm pretty excited about all of this, too. An LX1000 could allow me to get rid of three or four other cameras in my kit. And here's a thought: Panasonic already has the one-inch sensor that's in the FZ1000. Can we see them limiting that chip to a single camera? Maybe that's why I suspect there be an LX1000 and an LX8.

If the name "LX1000" is correct, then I'm pretty sure it's going to be the 1 inch sensor from the "FZ1000".

Apart from the name similarities, a m43 fixed zoom camera would compete against their GM line.
A 1 inch compact would create a new product line similar to Sonys RX10 and RX100 (but below their m43 offerings).

My guess is that there's only going to be one new LX, and it's going to be a 1 inch sensor...

If the name "LX1000" is correct, then I'm pretty sure it's going to be the 1 inch sensor from the "FZ1000".

Apart from the name similarities, a m43 fixed zoom camera would compete against their GM line.
A 1 inch compact would create a new product line similar to Sonys RX10 and RX100 (but below their m43 offerings).

My guess is that there's only going to be one new LX, and it's going to be a 1 inch sensor...

I wouldn't be surprised by any of the rumors on the table. There's logic to the "1000" naming being used for cameras with the same sensor. Then again, the closer to announcements, the closer to reality the rumors USUALLY end up being. And this most recent one came with a relatively high degree of probability. We'll see. If it's 1", I'll likely be impressed and recommend it to a number of folis. If it's 4/3, I might buy one despite and absolute lack of rationale. Depending on price, of course. We'll see...

-Ray

This makes sense. I just looked at my Panasonic 12-35 F2.8. While small - about the size of a FF 50mm F1.4 - I can't imagine folding those optics while making it faster on the wide end and longer into an LX-sized package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back