Fuji Rumored X-T10

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
So Rico, are you hearing anything more about the less expensive, slightly decontented X-T1 that's making the rounds on the rumors sites? Allegedly, it'll be call the X-T10. I can imagine such a camera with the current 16mp sensor and perhaps no WR, especially if an upgraded X-T1 (X-T2?) is coming with a 24mp sensor before long. But I can also imagine a so-called X-T10 with a Bayer sensor, which could bring the price down even further. Any thoughts?

Knowing Fujifilm's digital camera and lens roadmap till 2017, I have plenty of thoughts on this. None of which I am allowed to share. ;)

I am always interested in your thoughts, though. What would you do if you were a product planner at Fujifilm?

Well, I can only speak from my own point of view. There won't be any purchases of $1000-plus camera bodies for my kit anytime soon. So that rules out the X-T1 for me for a couple of years - no matter how much I like it. Also, I have the 18, 27, 35 and 60mm Fuji primes. And that's going to be it for a while. None of this first-generation Fuji glass has WR, so a less-expensive X-T10 without WR sounds appealing to me.

I don't know if Fuji's customer base is clamoring for a 24mp sensor. But that seems to be where most of the sensor makers and camera makers are going so Fuji will undoubtedly have to keep up for marketing reasons. So I expect the replacement for the X-T1 to have a 24mp sensor. Personally, I think 16mp is still the sweet spot for APS-C. But I don't make many in the industry are listening to people like me.

Did I mention that I plan to eventually swap my X-A1 for an X-E2 or something like it? The X-A1 is a great little basic camera but I miss the viewfinder of my late, lamented X-E1.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and now a cheaper version of the X-T1? The number of camera models that Fuji has been pushing out since the X-Pro 1 is confusing. I'm not sure if this is a good business model.

For the successor of the X-T1 (X-T2 or whatever it will be called) I would like

- larger, better buttons on the back of the camera
- shorter, consistent shutter lag (see the discussion about unpredictable, variable shutter lag elsewhere on this site)
- electronic shutter with faster scan time (it seems to be about 1/60-1/100 now which is barely adequate to photograph walking people, it would be nice if it could be raised to 1/250)

Nice to have, but not important
- 24 MP

Last edited by a moderator:
About this, above:

"- electronic shutter with faster scan time (it seems to be about 1/60-1/100 now which is barely adequate to photograph walking people, it would be nice if it could be raised to 1/250)"

...I'm confused. The electronic shutter currently fires up to 1/30,000 of a second. It has a higher MINIMUM shutter speed than the physical shutter, but that's a function of how it works, and even then it's still something like 1/4 second I think.

As far as users' thoughts on an X-T10... It's important to start with what makes the XT stand out. To me that's the full set of manual dials (including ISO), and the massive EVF. Those are core. Weather resistance and tilty screen are really nice but not core, to my mind. So a down-spec'd SLR-style X-T10 could have the same sensor, no WR, no tilt screen, smaller LCD, no function button on the front face, no dial under the shutter button, no electronic shutter option, no classic chrome... and make the body come in at about $1000?

If this were being driven by a price point, and that price point was well south of $1000, then you'd really need to neuter it further. Maybe even the EVF would have to shrink. LCD would not articulate for sure, and would shrink. Lose a dial up top, likely ISO. WR gone, of course. No 8fps, just 3fps. No wifi? No Classic Chrome. Maybe not even the nested ring dials under the knobs up top for drive mode and metering... bury those in the Q menu. That might be a $700 body.

I keep thinking Fuji might not have to do much more than remove WR and use a smaller EVF, given that they currently have the X-E2 body on sale for $699. I suspect improvements to whatever actually replaces the X-T1 (maybe next year) will put a decent amount of distance between the cameras. Of course that could mean Fuji will, for a while, have a situation on its hands as Olympus did with the E-M10. The E-M10 was better in many ways than the E-M5, which occupied the slot in the lineup above it. But the rumors seem to point to the X-T10 keeping the X-T1's sensor (and I assume its on-chip, phase-detection autofocus).

Back