Sony RX1 as a purchase today compared to new a6000

tapalandan

What are the opinions on how credible the a6000 is as an alternative to the RX1/R as a purchase today?

I've been testing out the RX1 for a week and really like it but the cost is very high and it has some drawbacks - lack of EVF, poor battery life, low light focus speed, is a product that is no longer in production (+1 year old) and obviously the high cost. That said the image quality is amazing - especially the dynamic range, low light and bokeh which we know is down to great lens and full frame sensor combo. almost every photo looks beautiful! I'd be more than happy if there weren't new alternatives.

As I see it Sony have split the old RX1 market in to the A7/R and the a6000 with neither having all the qualities of the older camera. The a6000 paired with a similar lens is half the price... Alpha 7 about the same but that has its own drawbacks (larger and heavier, noisy shutter, etc). Reviews I've read would indicate that even with the APS-C sensor, the a6000 should take a photo near comparison to the RX1.

Given the fact the all in price is much less and the a6000 also has other modern benefits and bobs (wifi, etc) and is much smaller and a longer battery life I'm very tempted.

What is the opinion on the image quality between the two? will the a6000 take 'amazing' shots like the rx1 or just nice looking point and shoot shots? Any opinions greatly received - alpha 7 is out for me as I think it's too big and size/conspicuousness is a primary driver; if it's too big it won't be there at the right time.

Dumb question, maybe, but are you just interested in the 35mm field of view? What lens would you use on the A6000? Zeiss 24mm? I think it is going to be hard to beat the RX1 sensor/lens combo for this field of view, but the A6000 would certainly be a whole lot more flexible as a camera/system.

By the way, I don't think the RX1 is out of production/discontinued, but that will probably happen towards the end of the year when the RX2 is released.

The most expensive component (and most important regarding final output quality....assuming the same photographer) is the lens. While the a6000 looks to be a great APS-C body, the lens you will get with it as a kit can not begin to compare to the lens that comes permanently attached to the RX1. To add a lens of the same quality that will produce those "magical" shots, will set you back a LOT.

I would think about what Kyle (krugorg) above is asking you. Do you want a system camera where you can use lenses of different focal lengths or can you be satisfied with a single normal focal length.

Well, Zeiss makes a superb APS-C 24mm f1.8 prime lens for the a6000 that while quite expensive, together with the a6000 body, still costs quite a bit less than an RX1. Buying an a6000 certainly doesn't imply making do with a mediocre kit lens

Other choices include a Micro 4/3 camera with a 17mm Olympus prime, or a 15mm Panasonic Leica prime, or a 20mm Panasonic prime, or a 25mm Panasonic Leica prime, each of which could be bought for under $600 and all of which are excellent fast lenses.

Or, one could go the Fuji APS-C route as well, and get great prime wide angle lenses.

I'd buy a used or refurbished RX1 assuming you're OK with the fixed lens 35mm. Actually it's closer to 32mm fixed, but they labeled it a 35mm. You can generally find them on Amazon for about $2000 plus or minus. And it's such a remarkable lens and still pretty much state of the art sensor that I'd get it in a minute over the A6000. That said, if you like interchangeable lenses, you should go for something that's got 'em. Go for the A6000 and the 24 f1.8 if there are other e-mount lenses you'd want. Or consider the Fuji system - it's 23mm f1.4 is probably the only lens that could have helped me get over having sold the RX1 - I only sold it because I wasn't really satisfied with the single focal length after a while. The Zeiss 24 f1.8 is really good - I personally think the Fuji 23 f1.4 is better, but it's largely a matter of taste.

But if you're OK with a fixed focal length camera in that focal length, you won't come close to the RX1. I'd go for a refurbished model and add the EVF if you want it. It's a remarkable piece of gear.

-Ray

Amazon for about $2000 plus or minus.

Aye, I just picked up one in new condition, with EVF and official hood (ugh) for $2k on Amazon. What pushed me over the edge was the ability to do 12 months no interest with Amazon (man, I am a sucker for those deals) and their buyer protection seems to be pretty good.

A6000 is a good camera w/ fastest Sony mirrorless af from what I followed and solved the problems of nex-7 w/ wide rf lenses also. However it will be most probably 1 stop behind the full frame sensors. You can add Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 for a good price, but the lens will be big though the camera will be smaller. Other smaller lens options are 20mm pancake or 35mm 1.8 oss lenses which might be small enough package for you... So it will give you a better combination/flexibility/faster af for some loss on IQ.

I have the RX1 and has excellent lens, so I am still keeping it though I have A7R since there is no match for that lens at 35mm and the silent shutter. Only comparable lens to RX1 lens is the Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8. I use RX1 w/ grip and viewfinder, so the size become comparable to A7(R)+35mm 2.8. At the end the other option of A7(R) is not that big and matches to A6000+Sony Zeiss 24 1.8 dof if you are after 35mm equivalent combo.

Depending on your needs and what you shoot any of these options are excellent. If you have the option, you can try in a camera shop and see what suits you. Otherwise you can try the camerasize website w/ different lenses to find the acceptable options for yourself:
Compact Camera Meter

The thing that both the A7/r and a6000 lack is a leaf shutter. By itself, the leaf shutter sync speed sets the RX1 as being completely unique, and for me, irreplaceable at the moment. That said, I also have a nice dslr system for the times that I need other focal lengths.

Back