Sony RX1 - exposure lock

Harry,

I'm sorry if I sound irritated. Some of your questions do seem as though you haven't really tried to work through the options yet and I always find that the best way to really get to know a camera. But if I'm wrong and you've tried and come up dry, my apologies and I'm still happy to help when I can.

"There are sometimes situations in which one wants to find the best possible exposure (18% gray) by pointing e.g. to a dark green lawn, or dark blue sky, or a gray stone wall etc., lock this exposure and then recompose, focus and shoot.

What I am trying in this forum is to find the best possible way of accomplishing this using the RX1."

So what you're basically trying to do is separate the AF function from the AE function so they're controlled separately and can be set separately. To do this you need to get at least one of these functions away from the shutter button and onto another button. The "AEL with shutter" setting will NOT do this - it merely controls how AE is controlled by the shutter button when you leave control with the shutter button.

So the easiest way is probably to leave AF with the shutter button and move AE to another button. I'll refer to the AEL button, but it could be any of the programmable buttons if you prefer a different one. So, I recommend assigning either "AEL Toggle" or "AEL Hold" to the AEL button. They do the same thing but differently. They will both allow you to point at the scene the way you want it metered and exposed and then use the AEL button to lock exposure so that it doesn't change when you half press the shutter to lock focus. If you use "AEL Hold", you have to press the AEL button to meter and lock exposure and HOLD it to maintain the lock. If you use "AEL toggle", you just have to press it and release it to meter and lock exposure - it will stay locked until you press it again to release the lock, or "toggle" it off.

Using either of these methods, you will be controlling the exposure with the AEL button, NOT the shutter button. So you can lock exposure with the AEL button, then recompose to focus on whatever you want with a half press of the shutter, then take the shot with the full press of the shutter. But you've effectively moved exposure off of the shutter button when you assign one of those options to the AEL button and use it either as a "press and hold" or as a "toggle". In either case, when exposure is locked, a starburst type of symbol will appear on the screen or in the EVF to let you know exposure is locked.

Let me know if that's clear and if you get it to work the way you're hoping. The way I read your question, that should do what you want to do.

-Ray

Back