Sony Rx1 focus options

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Name
Garry
While researching the RX1's focusing options , I found a description of how I would be likely to set one up.
But I've lost it ! the manual is not a lot of help , nor is the guide.
I believe it is possible to have a button for an af fix while in manual focus mode and lock exposure with the shutter button. ?

Grateful if someone could clarify this or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but here's what I can tell you. First, there are three focus settings on the focus switch on the front of the camera - manual, auto, and DMF, which is auto but fine tunable manually. Additionally, you can set any of the programmable buttons to toggle between AF and MF. I have the C button on the top of the camera (next to the shutter button) programmed for that. So, yeah, using that, you can easily switch between auto and manual focus to fine tune either with the other. Although it's more common to fine tune auto focus with a touch of manual than the opposite. Which is why they gave that it's own mode - DMF. But, if you want to go the other direction, you could start in manual focus, get the focus close, then hit your programmed button to toggle to AF, then "fine tune" (although it might be a courser focus than you came up with manually) and lock focus with the shutter button...

Is this at all close to what you were asking?

-Ray

what i like about shooting the way ray set it up is, if you put the camera in M mode, once you hit the C button the cam auto focuses and that focus is 'locked', so half pressing the shutter only effects metering, not focus. i enjoy and find useful having focus locked and not effected by my half shutter presses, and separating focus from metering. and you still can manually 'fine tune' focus on the lens.

Thanks for that . I'll Try to explain how I would like to work.
I would like to have the camera in manual focus all the time, ( front switch) but have a button set to auto focus (if needed )
The option to toggle between af and mf via funtion button I assume overrides the af/mf dmf switch position. ?

I find it easier to separate exposure from focus by just using the AEL button to lock exposure and then the shutter button to lock focus. I generally use the AF/MF toggle to move between zone focus and AF. But I guess there are a number of ways to do it.

-Ray

yes, absolutely, an easy way to do that as well. my personal style if you will is i often take multiple shots of the same subject at the same distance, and so separating AF from the shutter and locking it allows me to shoot faster, without the camera constantly refocusing. if i need it to refocus, i control that by assigning AF function to another button. and i can still easily 'fine tune' manually using the lens. i just find it a very flexible way to shoot, given how i like to shoot. ive done the same thing for years with the x100. im actually bummed out when using equipment where i cant do it that way.

Back