Sony Showcase RX1 Images

Very nice as usual Joe - I particularly like that architecture shot, but the street work is really nice too. It really is a great feeling camera to shoot with isn't it? Once you figure out how you want to program all of the buttons and get used to it, it becomes a really wonderful camera to work with. Something I never expected to say about a Sony. I'd like some FW changes to how it handles auto-ISO (I just can't imagine not including a user settable minimum shutter speed in A mode with auto-ISO), but otherwise I find it about as well thought out a camera as I've used.

Enjoy!

-Ray

Those are great! You have a good eye for composition....I gotta get out more. :)

You took these in raw? In color? Then processed them to B&W?

Thanks....yeah, all shot in RAW then pushed through LR and NiK SFX.

Very nice b & w, how did you process?

Thanks. My first step was a bit of LR work, mostly adjusting contrast and clarity and also shadows/highlights etc, generally just getting the exposure in the ballpark....in some cases I will do a little adjustment brush work in places just to kinda make things pop. I then edit in silver efex pro2 where I have made a custom preset....the custom preset used for these is basically the in-house "Full Dynamic -smooth" preset modified slightly with +10 on both the contrast and structure sliders, AGFA-APX 400 film type and a white border at -65%.....I have a second version of this same custom preset but using the AGFA APX-PRO 100 film type for a cleaner look. I've got a number of these custom presets which I have saved that are essentially just simple modifications of existing SFX presets with added film types and borders.

Very nice as usual Joe - I particularly like that architecture shot, but the street work is really nice too. It really is a great feeling camera to shoot with isn't it? Once you figure out how you want to program all of the buttons and get used to it, it becomes a really wonderful camera to work with. Something I never expected to say about a Sony. I'd like some FW changes to how it handles auto-ISO (I just can't imagine not including a user settable minimum shutter speed in A mode with auto-ISO), but otherwise I find it about as well thought out a camera as I've used.

Enjoy!

-Ray

Thanks Ray. Yeah it's an incredibly simple machine which really surprised me....when I first went through the menus and did a basic setup I was kinda like "so is THAT all there is?"...I found myself going back through the menu several times because I was sure I'd missed multiple layers of something somewhere, but there isn't any of that...quite possibly the easiest camera I've ever had to set up. The great thing is, that also seems to be reflected in use...I keep looking for buttons and stuff to press but I don't need to. A menu system and UI that doesn't hurt the brain....i like that :) With the exception of the auto ISO/min shutter speed thing defaulting to 1/80....(a ridiculous oversight given how great everything else is)....they really nailed it. For people looking at small high performance cameras, serious compacts, there are so many great options out there.

0724-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Was blown away when I first opened these files up in LR and began working on them, I reckon if LR was a stonemasons mallet the files would take it....the level of detail is brilliant.
Look forward to trying it out with some real landscape stuff up in the mountains and along the Victorian coast this coming spring and summer.

9299200148_e6856a9d56_b.jpg

Carlton Gardens-1 by Livnius, on Flickr

9299202550_209f533a32_b.jpg

Flagstaff Gardens-2 by Livnius, on Flickr

I really dig the quasi-macro of the RX1 (...and of the GR too). This is about as 'macro' as I get.

View attachment 72865
flora-1 by Livnius, on Flickr

View attachment 72866
flora-2 by Livnius, on Flickr

Totally blown away by this...I'm not very good at taking images on the street but the B&W jpgs look awesome anyway. These were a few that I took walking the streets of Clarksburg today about noon

DSC00555.jpg
DSC00545.jpg
DSC00566.jpg

My new contigo thermal cup. It is the best thermal cup I've ever used. Coffee stays hot for 4 hours.

So...I had to take a shot.

Set up shot included

DSC00590.jpg
DSC00591.jpg

Back