Sony Showcase RX1 Images

OK, so I've been trying to avoid this thread because it's too hard for me to look at the superb image quality and so many really good photos:blush:, but I'm going to jump in.

dtchan, that perfect moment of the little girl with light falling on her during the hubbub of the Japanese festival is gorgeous and so well seen. I'm so glad you chose black and white.

Thanks guys ~ The light was really awesome.
BBW, Yeah I did try a color one. It was good too but I found the colors from the surrounding a bit distracting and takes away from the light and focus of her face so I ended up with the BW version.

OK, so I've been trying to avoid this thread because it's too hard for me to look at the superb image quality and so many really good photos:blush:, but I'm going to jump in.

dtchan, that perfect moment of the little girl with light falling on her during the hubbub of the Japanese festival is gorgeous and so well seen. I'm so glad you chose black and white.

I'm glad you mentioned that shot - I'd missed it as it was near the bottom of the page and I guess I just hit last page instead of first unread and went RIGHT past that one. What an awesome shot! Incredibly well caught!

-Ray

Industrial fun: Cutting with abrasive cutting wheel, and cutting with a stream of water....B&W and added grain to accentuate the effect.
DSC01171.jpg
DSC01175.jpg

A few last Italy shots from the RX1 - it became my go-to camera on this trip...

-Ray
Love all the photos, the image quality is stunning but I just could not go back to a fixed 35mm focal length camera again, while I loved the X100 I just stopped using once I got my wide angles on the XPro

Love all the photos, the image quality is stunning but I just could not go back to a fixed 35mm focal length camera again, while I loved the X100 I just stopped using once I got my wide angles on the XPro

I certainly understand that instinct Bob. I did the same with the X100 and my inclination has always been toward wider options. I would never choose the RX1 as an ONLY camera, but I'm evidently not in the habit of choosing ONLY cameras of any sort! What I've found over time is that 28mm is my sweet spot focal length - if I was somehow forced to choose an only camera with one focal length, it would probably be the Nikon A at 28mm. But thank goodness that rule isn't in place! And somewhat to my surprise, I found myself grabbing the Sony at 35mm a lot more than the Fuji at 21 when I didn't want to use the 28mm of the Nikon A (or the Sigma DP1M that I also had along for the ride). For non-street types of shooting, for shooting where I'm taking my time and composing my shots more slowly and deliberately, I can get VERY comfortable with the 35mm focal length and I found myself using it a LOT on this Italian trip. I also did some landscape and town-scape shots that I wanted wider for and I used the XE1 with the 14mm some for that. But not as much as I'd have thought, based on past behavior. And on many many days, I'd just take out the RX1 and I'd very quickly adapt to the focal length and find compositions I liked within that frame. And enjoyed the hell out of shooting with it. The camera was not at all in the way and neither was the focal length.

I'm finding that I do prefer grabbing another camera rather than grabbing and changing another lens, so I'm fine with fixed lens cameras as opposed to ILCs for the most part. And the RX1 and Nikon A are feeling like a perfect pair of fixed lens cameras to handle the vast majority of my shooting, with longer and wider options available, but only used on those rare occasions when nothing else will do... I wouldn't have predicted it, but its what I'm finding works for me these days. I can't deny that part of it was because I liked the camera so much that I wanted to get comfortable with the focal length, and at first had to almost force myself to use it to force myself to adapt to it. But damned if that didn't actually happen and now I seem to really like it. Not as an only focal length, but as a very big part of my shooting...

-Ray

Here are a few from a BBQ that was held here in WV yesterday.

Camera was set to Auto ISO, A mode, and multi metering. Even in harsh conditions; bright sunlight vs dark shade under canopies it rarely missed getting a good exposure.
I processed all of t
DSC01200.jpg
DSC01221.jpg
DSC01287.jpg
hem with a VSCO slide film preset.

I'm finding this thread a dangerous one.

Though very enjoyable.:flowers_2:

Christina, I absolutely am smitten by your photograph of the dog and his postcards. I love it. Ray, let me just say that I'm miffed that you didn't include me in on that trip to Italy, however I am awfully glad you've shared so many of your photos - that Coudy Positano is pretty amazing.

**Oops, I missed a whole page! rpavich, are you from West Virginia? Great to see more from your musicians! I lived in Lewisburg for a year - breathtaking country and great music!

Patrick, wonderful!!!

biglouis - what a great field to run through. Beautiful detail and color. And rpavich, this is just not fair - I haven't even started making dinner yet and you've made me want dessert!;)

Back