Sony Showcase RX1 Images

I miss the RX1.
Orchid_in_the_middle_1_of_1_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

vaacas_1_of_1_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I miss the RX1.

Shane, those are some awesome photos. Must ... control ... myself ...

Give in to the temptation. There are meanwhile lots of good compact cameras in the market, i.e. what I consider the "good enough" category, inlcuding mft, NEXs, Fuji X etc. However, the RX1 sensor lens combo is in a league of its own, by quite a margin imho. My travel bag these days is a mix of a Sigma DP Merrill (I admit to be addicted to this Foveon look), RX1 and the newest addition, the Nikon A. All stellar performers in their own way.
Read Tim Ashley`s excellent M240 review and how the new Leica flagship compares to the RX1: Tim Ashley Photography.

$$. It was a vacation cam...I flipped it. Though I might end up getting another one. It's hard to justify just for fun when there are excellent 35mm equivalent (mirrorless) lenses from Olympus, Canon and Sony along with a X100S for much less money.

Give in to the temptation. There are meanwhile lots of good compact cameras in the market, i.e. what I consider the "good enough" category, inlcuding mft, NEXs, Fuji X etc. However, the RX1 sensor lens combo is in a league of its own, by quite a margin imho. My travel bag these days is a mix of a Sigma DP Merrill (I admit to be addicted to this Foveon look), RX1 and the newest addition, the Nikon A. All stellar performers in their own way.
Read Tim Ashley`s excellent M240 review and how the new Leica flagship compares to the RX1: Tim Ashley Photography.

You are correct, the files are just better with the RX1.

I just read it, very good review. End is funny:)

"I think I have found, since shooting the M 240, that I prefer the files on the RX-1 and the D800E and that the Zeiss lens on the RX-1 is in many ways better than the 35 Lux FLE. I will post more about that in future, when I come to some system comparisons. And yes, I do know that you can't compare apples to oranges but hey, sometimes you have to choose a piece of fruit."
Tim Ashley Photography | The M (Typ 240) - Leica's new baby reviewed

Here is a comparison of Sony full frame NEX-VG900E and Leica M with the Leica Summilux-M 50 ASPH lens:
A Full-Frame Sony NEX Put to the Test

Corners look better with M. They should have checked with a wider lens also to see how much the corner performance differs....

Not that anybody cares about my thoughts, but here they are anyway. I've been very tempted by this camera. The size, the sensor the lens all comes together for this odd, expensive and very specific camera class. I shoot µ4/3. I have retired my 1D's and I have reached a comfort level with µ4/3, that I now shoot everything, even serious stuff for publication, with µ4/3. But, the big but, I am not nearly as comfortable with the OM-D's as I am with my 1D's. The handling of the OM-D's isn't automatic in my hands and the cameras still requires some thought ... and that slows me down, distracts me from seeing/concentrating on my image and I'll miss some shots. But I am confident, even though I'm lower on the learning curve that I'd like to be, that I will get the exceptional image acceptable for publication with my µ4/3 system. I am out of rough waters with the OM-D, the learning curve is much less steep, just nicely cruising along, the wind in my sails ... and I get a Fuji. Now I'm diluting my time with the OM-D's with the Fuji. I even tried shooting the Chinese New Year Parade with both an OM-D and a Fuji ... that was a disaster.

But I digress ... if I hadn't picked up the Fuji, I'd probably pick up the RX1. Picking up an RX1 now would be so counter-productive for how I shoot/how I desire to shoot ... that it would drive me nuts and after a bit I'd purchase a Leica, then a Hassleblad (film) ... I'd turn into a collector ... with all these cameras that I rarely use because ... I wouldn't know how to use them, (back to the learning curve).

Further digression, yesterday, I was in my camera store playing with a Monochrom and asking if I should get a X100s or wait for the new XP2 ... this morning I'm thinking, what would I do with two Fuji's, man, I can barely change the film in the one I have :). Now I'm thinkin' of dumping the Fuji and sticking with µ4/3 until I know it inside-out. But if I dump the Fuji ... maybe I could pick up an RX1 ...

Finally, my point is that if it wasn't for these forums encouraging dim-witted peoples like moi, to do things they normally wouldn't do, life would be much much simpler. Forums suck ...

G

Gary, I'm right there with you on everything you said... except I *did* buy the RX1 (and a bunch of other cameras this year) :redface:

In all honesty I have to say you're probably right; If anything, it is probably detracting from my shooting having multiple cameras and systems instead of being in tune with one. On the other hand, I can't seem to pry the RX1 out of my kung-fu grip to sell it, either :D

LOL ... I keep thinking the RX1 would be a better fit for me than the Fuji. I really like the Fuji, but I keeping wanting to use the Fuji as I use the OM-D and the OM-D is so much better as an OM-D than the Fuji is as an OM-D.

G

LOL ... I keep thinking the RX1 would be a better fit for me than the Fuji. I really like the Fuji, but I keeping wanting to use the Fuji as I use the OM-D and the OM-D is so much better as an OM-D than the Fuji is as an OM-D.

Hahaha.. yeah, that Fuji makes a terrible OM-D. :tongue:

I think I hear something coming from an RX1 box on the shelf... anyone else hear that? It's a faint sound, almost a whisper... I think it's saying "Gaaarrry.... Garrryyy... come to the daaarrrk side"

:daz:

That is the problem with the RX-1, it is the ideal second camera. It will work like a point and shoot and you really can carry it with you where ever you go, but if there is something you really want to shoot, it will deliver the goods. It is what the E-P1 should have been.

I am not sure if two OMDs would be better than an OMD and RX-1. The RX-1 image quality is really seductive. The price is not. Two OMDs would be great to shoot with and one could simply wear a small prime. That becomes your PS.

Those easy winters are making you soft.

Normally, when I shoot action, like the talent show (see: Talent Show), I'll shoot with two cameras, one for long and one for wide. My second camera is a working camera. After considerable mucking stuff around my peabrain, the RX1 would replace my Fuji, if I choose to take that path and I'd dump the Fuji. But I like the Fuji, I like the looks and the files. I need to find the right niche for it. I need to shoot it like I would a MF ... including breaking out the tripod and shoot stuff that doesn't move. (I get hives just thinking about a tripod.)

Gary

LOL ... I have too many voices already talking in my cream-cheese brain for any additional voice to be heard. The meds help though.

G

G,

Get the RX1, don't dump the Fuji as of now. And don't try to tinker with the Monochrom yet... the time will come. :D

I'm also seriously thinking about the RX1 though.

G,

Get the RX1, don't dump the Fuji as of now. And don't try to tinker with the Monochrom yet... the time will come. :D

I'm also seriously thinking about the RX1 though.

I dunno ... think I need to play with a RX1. Having the Fuji has helped focused my needs/desires for a camera different than the OM-D. I think having a truly pocketable camera, with the quality of the RX1 may make it too easy for me to be lazy. A body at rest tends to stay at rest ... all those physicists were talking about me. An RX1 would be great and fun, but the fixed lens would make it all too easy for me to live in a 35mm world. I can easily duct tape an O17 to my OM-D or an E-PL5 and have a similar experience. The problem is that back in the film days, even at 8x10 you could see a difference between 35mm and MF. Now, those differences don't become apparent until ... what ... 3'x4' ...

I'm looking for a different experience from what I've been doing for decades ... and I'm looking for a different image. Right now I'm willing to invest some time with the Fuji just to see if it can take me down a different road. Maybe the RX1 is the camera I need ... or maybe I'm taking the easy road by expecting the camera to change my style ... maybe it is I who needs to change my style.

Let me know what you think of the RX1, I am very interested in your review.

Gary

I'm looking for a different experience from what I've been doing for decades ... and I'm looking for a different image.

Gary

Gary, I might, somewhere along the way, felt like this before, except the "decades" part :), and the Leica rangefinder experience seems to have fit the bill for me. Just a thought.

I've been toying with the idea of film again ... but I am so far behind in processing digital (I literally have stuff with is a couple years old just sitting on a hard drive) ... all I need to to start piling up sleeves of negatives. If I go film it will probably be MF if I do.

Gary

Back