Sony Showcase RX1 Images

My current rig; the RX1 and the X100S.

Together these two cover what shooting I like to do.

I taped notebook paper to the wall and desk. I set up the RX1 and took that shot with the X00S and then did the opposite for the X100S' shot.

Then brought them into Photoshop and merged them.

I think that the Fuji's image quality held up pretty well against the RX1.

9629165268_e7d6ce2929_b.jpg

Re-Check your flickr link :)

My current rig; the RX1 and the X100S.

Together these two cover what shooting I like to do.

I taped notebook paper to the wall and desk. I set up the RX1 and took that shot with the X00S and then did the opposite for the X100S' shot.

Then brought them into Photoshop and merged them.

I think that the Fuji's image quality held up pretty well against the RX1.

View attachment 75241

Hey everyone, been a bit busy recently! I took a great weekend camping trip with my girlfriend this last weekend, here are a couple of my favorite shots off the RX1! Most of my other shots were done with a 5D3 and 28/50/100ZE lenses... The RX1 files just feel a bit more special than those :)

I'm starting to feel like the 28/2 is a little bit too close to the RX1's 35/2. Heavily considering selling it to fund a 21/2.8 ZE... thoughts? Or, are there any other Canon people in the forums that might want it (seattle!).

Anyway, enjoy!

1147608_10153162522735548_2026353603_o.jpg
1264465_10153162538295548_2146836332_o.jpg
1271578_10153162504110548_2135643544_o.jpg

Thought I would post the more mature kit.

Exchanged the Gariz half case (seen on another thread here) for the RRS grip. I find the grip really adds more comfort when using the camera. I have fat-ish hands and holding the RX1 like a compact camera wasn't really helping. Granted, the Gariz half case helps a lot because every mm of thickness you can add helps. I am also very fond of the weight added by the grip+plate so I feel like it's gotten more robust. Protection wise I think it's also a major plus since (if you get the l plate attachment) you will have protection on both sides, bottom and side-front on the bodies.

All in all, very happy.

PS: yes, the EVF is taped because I don't like the articulation action

rx1.jpg

Hey everyone, been a bit busy recently! I took a great weekend camping trip with my girlfriend this last weekend, here are a couple of my favorite shots off the RX1! Most of my other shots were done with a 5D3 and 28/50/100ZE lenses... The RX1 files just feel a bit more special than those :)

I'm starting to feel like the 28/2 is a little bit too close to the RX1's 35/2. Heavily considering selling it to fund a 21/2.8 ZE... thoughts? Or, are there any other Canon people in the forums that might want it (seattle!).

Anyway, enjoy!

Why use anything other than the RX1? (just kidding) but these are great shots. By the way you wouldn't have had to say Seattle area, the pictures gave you away.

Anyway, enjoy!

Why use anything other than the RX1? (just kidding) but these are great shots. By the way you wouldn't have had to say Seattle area, the pictures gave you away.

I can help you with this.

To begin with, what focal length do you want?

For me, and I believe quite a few of us, if we choose 35mm, there isn't really a compelling reason to own a 28mm. Both focal lengths are close enough to go for either.
That being said, there are still quite a few people who like to own both, regardless of the closeness in angle of view.

Considering a 21mm, however, is another thing altogether. That focal length is very different. 24mm is already very different from 28mm so why so so much wider?
If you were to want or need a 21mm then you should get it regardless of any advice you can get here. I think of your question, however, and the apparent indecisiveness in your question makes me wonder whether you are looking for a real wide angle or just another focal length to complement an RX1?

All that being said, if we are talking about the RX1's Sonnar, let it be known that the 35mm on the RX1 is not exactly 35mm. It appears to be wider. Rather closer to 32mm maybe as seen by Ron Scheffler:

» Sony RX1 Sonnar 35mm vs. Leica M9 and Biogon 35mm ZM lenses review - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler

As a point of comparison, if you were to be using the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 E on a NEX, it would be 36mm and I can tell you, one notices it being slightly narrower than the more traditional looking 35mm lenses.

For me, and I believe quite a few of us, if we choose 35mm, there isn't really a compelling reason to own a 28mm. Both focal lengths are close enough to go for either.
That being said, there are still quite a few people who like to own both, regardless of the closeness in angle of view.

All that being said, if we are talking about the RX1's Sonnar, let it be known that the 35mm on the RX1 is not exactly 35mm. It appears to be wider. Rather closer to 32mm maybe as seen by Ron Scheffler:

» Sony RX1 Sonnar 35mm vs. Leica M9 and Biogon 35mm ZM lenses review - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler

As a point of comparison, if you were to be using the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 E on a NEX, it would be 36mm and I can tell you, one notices it being slightly narrower than the more traditional looking 35mm lenses.
Well, that's very interesting - thanks so much for that link. When I did some back to back shooting with the RX1 and the Zeiss 24mm on a Nex6, the RX1 was notably wider, more than should be explained by the difference between 35 and 36mm. It similarly seems clearly wider than the X100s based on some back to back shooting with the two in April, which is even more surprising since the X100s 23mm lens should be very slightly wider than a true 35mm... So, I'm sure he's right and its nice to have an explanation...

It may also help explain why I like the RX1 so much more than I expected to. Because unlike some, I personally find a BIG difference between a 28 and 35mm field of view. Regardless of the math, 28mm images just look different to me - angles tend to be sharper, lines converge more toward the center of the frame, etc. Its not the coverage so much as the look and feel of the image and the way lines tend to come together - compositions tend to feel more dramatic most of the time. I find it generally easier to compose images I like on a 28 than a 35, although I also like 35 quite a bit. I also like 24 and even 21, but they become so obviously wider angle that there's a semi-cartoonish downside to these as well as an upside. To me, 28mm is the sweet spot for every day shooting. And I've always felt like 35 worked, but not nearly as well for me. But I noticed this much less with the RX1 and I always thought part of this was just because I liked the camera so much that I forced myself to adapt. But if the RX1's field of view is actually in the neighborhood of halfway between a true 28mm and 35mm, that would explain a good deal of why I've gotten so comfortable with it.

Sorry to somewhat derail the discussion, but I also think focal length is a huge consideration and I believe seemingly small differences can matter a lot, at least to some of us in some ranges. I probably wouldn't notice much difference between 90-110mm, but between 28 and 35, I notice a LOT. And both are about 20% differences...

-Ray

Well, that's very interesting - thanks so much for that link. When I did some back to back shooting with the RX1 and the Zeiss 24mm on a Nex6, the RX1 was notably wider, more than should be explained by the difference between 35 and 36mm. It similarly seems clearly wider than the X100s based on some back to back shooting with the two in April, which is even more surprising since the X100s 23mm lens should be very slightly wider than a true 35mm... So, I'm sure he's right and its nice to have an explanation...

It may also help explain why I like the RX1 so much more than I expected to. Because unlike some, I personally find a BIG difference between a 28 and 35mm field of view. Regardless of the math, 28mm images just look different to me - angles tend to be sharper, lines converge more toward the center of the frame, etc. Its not the coverage so much as the look and feel of the image and the way lines tend to come together - compositions tend to feel more dramatic most of the time. I find it generally easier to compose images I like on a 28 than a 35, although I also like 35 quite a bit. I also like 24 and even 21, but they become so obviously wider angle that there's a semi-cartoonish downside to these as well as an upside. To me, 28mm is the sweet spot for every day shooting. And I've always felt like 35 worked, but not nearly as well for me. But I noticed this much less with the RX1 and I always thought part of this was just because I liked the camera so much that I forced myself to adapt. But if the RX1's field of view is actually in the neighborhood of halfway between a true 28mm and 35mm, that would explain a good deal of why I've gotten so comfortable with it.

Sorry to somewhat derail the discussion, but I also think focal length is a huge consideration and I believe seemingly small differences can matter a lot, at least to some of us in some ranges. I probably wouldn't notice much difference between 90-110mm, but between 28 and 35, I notice a LOT. And both are about 20% differences...

-Ray

No worries. I do understand the difference between 28 and 35. It is big enough to be there, indeed. I, on the one hand don't really fancy 28. If I have to have two lenses, however, and the choice was 35 and below, I would go for 24 and 35.

Yes, I also noticed the angle of the Zeiss 24 being narrower than the previous 35 I used, which was the ZE/f2. Before that it was Canon's 35L and those were pretty close in FOV.

Although I don't like 28, really, I found 30mm to be so sweet. I had the equivalent with Canon's 20mm and a 50D back in the day it was so nice.
I guess ~32mm is sweet enough for me today.

By the way, with all this talk of adding the X100s to an RX1... what I don't really get is the compelling reason of why?
I played with the camera extensively in the past and I don't feel I am missing anything with the RX1.
On the contrary, the gain on the depth of field and sharpness wide open (not forgetting the overall homogenous sharpness of the Sonnar) made a very compelling case against the Fuji.
To top it up, I wasn't sure why Fuji's ISO rating was 1/5 to a stop more "generous" than Canon or Sony...

I don't mean its a bad camera, I just wonder whether the optical viewfinder (which I see as the most compelling reason to have an X100s) is so worth it.

Just curious.

I do notice the difference between 28/35, exactly as you described it Ray. I agree, its a good FL for for normal shooting without getting the extra wide angle effect, however, I find that the RX1 fits this bill extremely well. The reason behind my interest in the 21mm is that I'm not only looking for something wider (I miss my Tokina 11-16mm!), I just simply do not ever pull out the 28mm anymore now that I ALWAYS have the RX1 with me. Also, over the last two years or so, I've often felt the need to have something wider for landscapes, astro, and even extreme portraits. I often shoot environment portraits with the 28mm, and want to back up just a bit to keep from cutting off feet and things like that, but the images tend to get a bit more boring at that point. I find I can get the same shot easily with the RX1, but I could easily expand what I'm able to do with a 21mm. Additionally, there is no way in hell I want to carry more than 3 Zeiss ZE lenses in a bag with 3 speedlights, tripod, batteries, rx1, and other pieces of kit!

By the way, with all this talk of adding the X100s to an RX1... what I don't really get is the compelling reason of why?
I played with the camera extensively in the past and I don't feel I am missing anything with the RX1.

Just curious.

I can only speak for myself, but I can summarize; Hybrid OVF of the X100S.

I LOVE the Hybrid OVF...to me, looking through the EVF of the RX1 is like looking through a periscope. Using the LCD is not my cup of tea either...that's my rationale. The RX1 is good for a lot of things...but for me, street isn't one of them.

Hope that makes some sense.

I do notice the difference between 28/35, exactly as you described it Ray. I agree, its a good FL for for normal shooting without getting the extra wide angle effect, however, I find that the RX1 fits this bill extremely well. The reason behind my interest in the 21mm is that I'm not only looking for something wider (I miss my Tokina 11-16mm!), I just simply do not ever pull out the 28mm anymore now that I ALWAYS have the RX1 with me. Also, over the last two years or so, I've often felt the need to have something wider for landscapes, astro, and even extreme portraits. I often shoot environment portraits with the 28mm, and want to back up just a bit to keep from cutting off feet and things like that, but the images tend to get a bit more boring at that point. I find I can get the same shot easily with the RX1, but I could easily expand what I'm able to do with a 21mm. Additionally, there is no way in hell I want to carry more than 3 Zeiss ZE lenses in a bag with 3 speedlights, tripod, batteries, rx1, and other pieces of kit!
I fully get that. During the month I spent in Italy in July, the 28 (Nikon) and RX1 at 35 (or perhaps 32) were my constant companions. But I also had an XE1 with the amazing Fuji 14mm, which is 21mm equivalent. I used it less than the other two, but there were times when nothing else would do. I've always liked having some kind of ultra wide. I also have an Olympus 9-18 m43 lens with my OMD and I used to shoot at the wide end of that (18mm equivalent) a lot. But I had that on the Italy trip too, and with the 14mm Fuji in the bag, I never used it. 21 seems wide enough for ultra wide to me now...

-Ray

On the contrary, the gain on the depth of field and sharpness wide open (not forgetting the overall homogenous sharpness of the Sonnar) made a very compelling case against the Fuji.
To top it up, I wasn't sure why Fuji's ISO rating was 1/5 to a stop more "generous" than Canon or Sony...

I don't mean its a bad camera, I just wonder whether the optical viewfinder (which I see as the most compelling reason to have an X100s) is so worth it.

Just curious.
I can't explain it but I can't deny it either. There's something about shooting with the X100, X100s, and X-Pro that's unlike anything else I've shot with. And its not a minor difference. Its just a different shooting experience. Part of it, particularly with the X100/100s is just the size and fit and feel of the camera. And the simplicity of a self-contained camera like that. But the OVF/EVF is a HUGE part of it to me. I'm selling some gear and thinking very hard about adding an X100s to my gear. I absolutely don't need it. The RX1 is a better camera in any quantifiable way (with the possible exception of AF speed in really good light) and it's also a qualitatively better camera to my eye in every way EXCEPT for the viewfinder - there's something about the images I get out of that camera that are above and beyond anything else I've shot with. But the Fuji has its own magic. Part of it is the colors and look of the files Fuji turns out. Part of it is the controls. But MOST of it, to me at least, is the built in hybrid viewfinder. Which is just plain fun to shoot with. And, compared to the RX1 WITH the EVF, its a good deal smaller and less fiddly too. And this is despite the issues with the raw files and the ISO inflation that I also believe Fuji is guilty of.

For me, its also about variety. Before I got an RX1 or a Coolpix A, my primary cameras were an OMD with a range of lenses and an X-Pro with a few lenses. I shot with both in overlapping focal lengths, using the Fuji at 28 and 21 a lot (and 53 very rarely) and the OMD at 24, 28, and 35 (as well as the longer focal lengths I still use that camera for). I just enjoyed the very different shooting experience and different look to the files. Once I got the RX1 and Nikon, I sold most of my m43 lenses in the middle to wide-ish range and I sold the Fuji 18 and 35mm lenses. I wanted to keep the 14mm lens, but its too wide to really use comfortably with the OVF, so I sold the X-Pro too and picked up a used XE1 with its very nice EVF. And now I have GREAT gear in the focal lengths I use most often, but I miss the variety and I mostly miss the Fuji OVF and the Fuji colors and smoothness in those most used focal lengths. So, if I add an X100s (and the 28mm adapter lens, which is excellent BTW), I'll have the same basic focal lengths covered but with the Fuji shooting experience for a change of pace, for variety. So, yeah, the Fuji isn't better, but its different and has its own very real charms.

I have to admit this recent discussion is making me re-consider though. The RX1 had convinced me that I could like 35mm almost as much as 28mm, but this discussion has clarified that this might well be because the RX1 is closer to 32 than 35mm rather than my powers of adaptation. The difference in the FOV in the back to back shots I'd done with the RX1 and X100s was not something I really spent any time thinking about when I shot them, but its not a small difference when I go back and look at some of the shots. So now I'm wondering if I'd really enjoy the X100s with the basic lens enough to actually USE it much. With the 28mm adapter lens, the package is larger and the OVF starts getting really crowded (between reduced are a outside the framelines and more intrusion of the lens into the view). I'd enjoy using it, but I wouldn't buy the camera to primarily use at 28mm. So, I'll have to think about whether I'd like shooting at a TRUE 35-ish mm FOV. I might not go that way at all. But I do miss the whole Fuji OVF/EVF shooting experience quite a bit. Its pretty unique and somewhat addictive and I'm jones-ing for having it as an option, as I've had it for most of the past 2 1/2 years, since I first got the X100 in March 2011...

-Ray

I fully get that. During the month I spent in Italy in July, the 28 (Nikon) and RX1 at 35 (or perhaps 32) were my constant companions. But I also had an XE1 with the amazing Fuji 14mm, which is 21mm equivalent. I used it less than the other two, but there were times when nothing else would do. I've always liked having some kind of ultra wide. I also have an Olympus 9-18 m43 lens with my OMD and I used to shoot at the wide end of that (18mm equivalent) a lot. But I had that on the Italy trip too, and with the 14mm Fuji in the bag, I never used it. 21 seems wide enough for ultra wide to me now...

-Ray

Yeah, I'd probably agree. Any wider than 21 and I feel like it would be in rental territory. When I had my Tokina 11-16, I tended to use it near 14/15/16mm more often than the 11 side of things, so I feel this would really hit the sweet spot for me! But we'll have to see where the journey takes me and what funding allows, I'll survive with 28 for some time im sure :D

I can't explain it but I can't deny it either. There's something about shooting with the X100, X100s, and X-Pro that's unlike anything else I've shot with. And its not a minor difference. Its just a different shooting experience. Part of it, particularly with the X100/100s is just the size and fit and feel of the camera. And the simplicity of a self-contained camera like that. But the OVF/EVF is a HUGE part of it to me. I'm selling some gear and thinking very hard about adding an X100s to my gear. I absolutely don't need it. The RX1 is a better camera in any quantifiable way (with the possible exception of AF speed in really good light) and it's also a qualitatively better camera to my eye in every way EXCEPT for the viewfinder - there's something about the images I get out of that camera that are above and beyond anything else I've shot with. But the Fuji has its own magic. Part of it is the colors and look of the files Fuji turns out. Part of it is the controls. But MOST of it, to me at least, is the built in hybrid viewfinder. Which is just plain fun to shoot with. And, compared to the RX1 WITH the EVF, its a good deal smaller and less fiddly too. And this is despite the issues with the raw files and the ISO inflation that I also believe Fuji is guilty of.

For me, its also about variety. Before I got an RX1 or a Coolpix A, my primary cameras were an OMD with a range of lenses and an X-Pro with a few lenses. I shot with both in overlapping focal lengths, using the Fuji at 28 and 21 a lot (and 53 very rarely) and the OMD at 24, 28, and 35 (as well as the longer focal lengths I still use that camera for). I just enjoyed the very different shooting experience and different look to the files. Once I got the RX1 and Nikon, I sold most of my m43 lenses in the middle to wide-ish range and I sold the Fuji 18 and 35mm lenses. I wanted to keep the 14mm lens, but its too wide to really use comfortably with the OVF, so I sold the X-Pro too and picked up a used XE1 with its very nice EVF. And now I have GREAT gear in the focal lengths I use most often, but I miss the variety and I mostly miss the Fuji OVF and the Fuji colors and smoothness in those most used focal lengths. So, if I add an X100s (and the 28mm adapter lens, which is excellent BTW), I'll have the same basic focal lengths covered but with the Fuji shooting experience for a change of pace, for variety. So, yeah, the Fuji isn't better, but its different and has its own very real charms.

I have to admit this recent discussion is making me re-consider though. The RX1 had convinced me that I could like 35mm almost as much as 28mm, but this discussion has clarified that this might well be because the RX1 is closer to 32 than 35mm rather than my powers of adaptation. The difference in the FOV in the back to back shots I'd done with the RX1 and X100s was not something I really spent any time thinking about when I shot them, but its not a small difference when I go back and look at some of the shots. So now I'm wondering if I'd really enjoy the X100s with the basic lens enough to actually USE it much. With the 28mm adapter lens, the package is larger and the OVF starts getting really crowded (between reduced are a outside the framelines and more intrusion of the lens into the view). I'd enjoy using it, but I wouldn't buy the camera to primarily use at 28mm. So, I'll have to think about whether I'd like shooting at a TRUE 35-ish mm FOV. I might not go that way at all. But I do miss the whole Fuji OVF/EVF shooting experience quite a bit. Its pretty unique and somewhat addictive and I'm jones-ing for having it as an option, as I've had it for most of the past 2 1/2 years, since I first got the X100 in March 2011...

-Ray

Very interesting. I do agree that the more unified feel of the Fuji's is a notch above the body+evf experience of the RX1. I do miss my NEX 7 on that behalf. Yes, I also appreciated the great OVF experince but after using a Contax G2 in the past, I swear, nothing comes anything close to its engineering feat for parallax correction (and this was done with any lens attached bar the 16mm biogon)

And that camera probably brings me to one important point in my photographic experience: unity.

Some years ago, at the peak of my photographic gear acquisition days I used to have a Contax medium format camera and 5 lenses for it. Two Contax AF SLRs and 2 lenses, one RTS III and 4 lenses, Contax G2 and 5 lenses and a Nikon D2x and the three 2.8 zooms from 17 to 200.

At that time I already loved 35mm though not as much because I shot a lot in 21, 24 and 50 too. 35mm FOV shots represented roughly 60% of my shots.

Then I got my first important documentary assignment. It was a personal project and I decided to shoot it on film. I also decided to shoot it on slides because I wanted the finest grain possible for printing afterwards. I knew the Contax G lenses were among the finest along with Leica's own (at the time the Contax 45mm was the sharpest lens tested by photodo.com.... the only website with its own MTF tests on film) So I took the Contax with me and the RTS III as back up (because I had a fast 50 and a 35mm for it keeping the gear as compact) The RTS was promoted to 50mm shots while the Contax G2 had a steady 35mm mission along with 21mm for environmental shots. After getting all the films back from the lab (100 rolls in total) I realised how flexible and versatile was the G2. I also realised while shooting that people felt less threatened with the smaller champagne coloured camera I had.

The next few months saw the demise of all of the gear above bar the G2 and I used it on an almost daily basis for the next year or so until I got a 5D2 because video added something to my work the G2 couldnt. Even then, while not working, the G2 was doing the daily loving because I loved that camera to bits and my relationship to it was nearly symbiotic. Taking the camera out was like putting on shoes. It was flawless and natural. And I know I got to that point because my loyalty to the G2 meant that I got so used to it I knew it back to front. Every mm of it I knew and I knew what it liked and what it did not like when focusing and my focusing was flawless on a camera criticized by many as a hopeless terrible AF rangefinder. It was temperamental (like the RX1 sometimes) but it wasn't stupid (like the 5D2 ---£2,200 of misleading AF!)

Work took a big priority later and the G2 saw less and less action. This wasnt helped by the fact that film stocks became more expensive and processing was even more expensive! So, I decided that the G2 had to go to a wealthier household where it would be used and not remain inactive.

I thought the NEX 7 was the closest I could get to the G2. Then the X Pro 1 came in and that's just such a close cut body-wise of a G2. Sadly, the X Pro 1 is more temperamental, in my experience, and the wide lens (18 only available at the time) is nowhere near the Contax G lens. Sadly, the Zeiss 24mm is also not close but the NEX gave me a more fluid experience. Maybe the 23mm 1.4 coming up would be good but Fuji would really need to top the RX1's Sonnar to make me consider a switch.

So, damn, long post. What I am trying to say is that I find the RX1 to have a particular flavour to it that reminds me of the G2 because when the G2 was out, there was no rangefinder like it. On the contrary, many argued it was not a rangefinder. Quite frankly, I don't know of any camera that can give me what the Sonnar does. To that end, I am determined to achieve the closest to perfect balance with the RX1. I am pretty sure, this time round, that this would be my new Contax.

Hey, they say Sony is about to implement a Contax AX-like AF mechanism for Canon/Nikon lenses on Sony cameras. Maybe Sony got a hold of them Contax engineers and I am just picking up the smell.

-Ray

I couldn't have put it better myself...that's why I'm selling my RX1 when it's plainly 10X the image quality as any other compact....it doesn't make sense on paper but I'm doing it anyway.

I'll say it one last time just in case wishes come true.

The ultimate camera: the RX1 with the Hybrid OVF. (or a real rangefinder system but you get the idea) :)

Back