Sony Showcase RX1 Images

I couldn't have put it better myself...that's why I'm selling my RX1 when it's plainly 10X the image quality as any other compact....it doesn't make sense on paper but I'm doing it anyway.
The only difference being that I'm not choosing the Fuji over the RX1. I'm just thinking about ADDING it for the variety of the shooting experience. If I'm picking one over the other, I already did... But the X100s is probably the more rational choice since you get about 90% of the quality for way less than half the price...

-Ray

Few more from my travels this summer, all are set on auto so far till I learns me some technique.. One Pana

soupline.jpg

Interesting, where was this one taken? It looks awfully familiar but it's clearly not the same spot as this one (Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, NJ):

8123144886_a8c1df019f_c.jpg

Grounds For Sculpture by jloden, on Flickr

7896870286_fff6cd2525_c.jpg

Grounds For Sculpture by jloden, on Flickr

Hello, im new to this cool group of amazing photogs.

Can someone please tell me about another digital full frame camera with a leaf shutter on the market today? I dont think there is (amazing times). The Fuji x100/s is the first thing that comes to most minds, but there is something so sweet about a full frame sensor, of course i wish Sony integrated a EVF into the body and we had a STANDARD hot shoe (they say the RX1 hot shoe is ISO standard but those proprietary links on the end make it a bitch to sync standard strobe equipment to it) This camera is amazing. Id love a digital back with some leaf shutter lenses, but I'm broke and i dont shoot enough/have the skills/or make any money off photography to even come close to justifying a purchase like that.
Anyways, i hope you guys enjoy. I shot my wife near sundown at 1/800th ISO 100 with a sb700 camera right thru an umbrella triggered with a IR device (haven't found a radio device that will pop and show past 1/500th)

Attachments

• DSC01263 (1).jpg
    DSC01263 (1).jpg
    132 KB · Views: 135
Can someone please tell me about another digital full frame camera with a leaf shutter on the market today? I dont think there is (amazing times). The Fuji x100/s is the first thing that comes to most minds, but there is something so sweet about a full frame sensor, of course i wish Sony integrated a EVF into the body and we had a STANDARD hot shoe (they say the RX1 hot shoe is ISO standard but those proprietary links on the end make it a bitch to sync standard strobe equipment to it) This camera is amazing. Id love a digital back with some leaf shutter lenses, but I'm broke and i dont shoot enough/have the skills/or make any money off photography to even come close to justifying a purchase like that.
Anyways, i hope you guys enjoy. I shot my wife near sundown at 1/800th ISO 100 with a sb700 camera right thru an umbrella triggered with a IR device (haven't found a radio device that will pop and show past 1/500th)

Hey, I remember seeing that shot on the RX1 World Shooter's group and commenting on it there :)

I agree about the EVF - ultimately the add-on OVF/EVF is the biggest reason the X100S has been seeing so much more use than the RX1 for me. The add-on EVF is really good quality, but I dislike the clunkier form factor and it makes it impossible to use a flash or remote trigger at the same time, too. That and the built-in ND filter in the X100S makes overpowering the sun even easier.

If one can find a X100s! Or a RX1r!

Not sure about RX1-R, although I'd still buy the RX1 if I was buying today, based on this and other stuff I've seen. The ultimate in resolution just doesn't mean as much to me as some other things (as my time with the Sigma DP1M proved to me), and the RX1-R seems to have some tradeoffs for all of that resolution that I'd be less happy with.

The X100s is out there - you just have to call around some. I was thinking about ordering one and found a couple in stock and then saw they were briefly in stock at B&H yesterday as well. I'm about 90% sure I'm not gonna get one though - I went back and read my initial impressions of it from when I had a loaner in April and recalled a few things I really didn't like about it. And I really can't justify anything (even to myself, and I'm an easy sell) that's gonna take any shooting away from the RX1...

-Ray

(haven't found a radio device that will pop and show past 1/500th)

I've been using PocketWizard Plus 3's reliably at 1/1250" with Canon 600EX-RTs! I've still yet to try using any Sony flashes with the built-in wireless triggering to see if you can go any faster, but I'd sure love to.

Great photo!

Not sure about RX1-R, although I'd still buy the RX1 if I was buying today, based on this and other stuff I've seen. The ultimate in resolution just doesn't mean as much to me as some other things (as my time with the Sigma DP1M proved to me), and the RX1-R seems to have some tradeoffs for all of that resolution that I'd be less happy with.

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Aside from the possibility of moire appearing with certain subject matter (and of course the fact you can't find an RX1-R for sale to save your life right now) I'm wondering what the other tradeoffs are, in your opinion, that one should think about regarding the RX1-R. I've been waiting for an RX1-R myself (having sold my RX1 several months ago only to have seller's remorse) and I wonder if the RX1-R is worth the wait or if I should just go back to the RX1 and be done with it.

Thanks,

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Paul, Ray may recall the source but there was an in depth comparison made by one of the proper testing websites and they found that despite being a bit sharper (whats sharper than freakin' sharp?) the RX1R displayed a small drop in overall colour depth and dynamic range when the the ISO got to a certain point whilst the RX1 still held it together. Like I said, the name of the source slips me at the moment but it WAS one of the more reputable websites. If I find the link I'll post it up. Sorry I can't be of more help...point being, there appears to be trade-off of sorts for that little bit of extra sharpness.

Paul, Ray may recall the source but there was an in depth comparison made by one of the proper testing websites and they found that despite being a bit sharper (whats sharper than freakin' sharp?) the RX1R displayed a small drop in overall colour depth and dynamic range when the the ISO got to a certain point whilst the RX1 still held it together. Like I said, the name of the source slips me at the moment but it WAS one of the more reputable websites. If I find the link I'll post it up. Sorry I can't be of more help...point being, there appears to be trade-off of sorts for that little bit of extra sharpness.
Exactly. If you click that link in my earlier post, you'll find a discussion on DPR that links to the Tech Radar review, which notes what Joe is saying here. And one guy in that DPR thread noticed the same thing when he switched from the RX1 to the RX1-R, so he sold it and re-bought an RX1. I find there's so stinkin' much detail in the RX1 (bested only by the Sigma DP series among stuff I've shot) that looking for more is almost asking for trouble. And evidently there are, in fact, tradeoffs, which to me would not be worth it...

-Ray

Some of my rx1 shots make me want to soften them. I can't Imagine needing it sharper. If it dropped and suddenly were 75% as sharp, I think I'd still be just fine. Lol

Thanks all. I wasn't aware of the Tech Radar review. I think the "classic" RX1 would work better for my "image aesthetic." After reading the articles, the tradeoffs don't seem worth it in my opinion.

Thanks again,

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back