Sony Showcase RX1 Images

I was playing around with some old RX1 files yesterday trying to talk myself out of buying Luke's for sale RX1. Didn't work - had the opposite effect. As much as I like the Fuji gear, I've really REALLY missed the RX1. So I bought the RX1 and am selling part of the Fuji system. So I'll be back to the same basic system I had last year, when I was happier with my gear than I've ever been. RX1 and Nikon A taking care of most of my shooting, with a Fuji body with the 14mm and probably 60mm in the bag some days and with a couple of other longer and wider lenses for a full travel kit. But the second Fuji body and a couple of redundant lenses are gonna go.

So, I'll be back amongst the RX1 community. Meanwhile, one of the shots I dug up and processed I liked enough to post on Flickr and I'll stick it up here as well. From Capri last summer:

14250090712_ed3d886f62_h.jpg
Capri RX1-32-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

I've had second thoughts and bought cameras back before, usually to no good purpose. But this one feels different. Because I never really wanted to sell the RX1 except for thinking I was going to go with a whole Nikon Df system. By the time I'd changed my mind on that, the RX1 was gone and the Fuji system was the best place to park myself. And I was right about that overall. But having that one no-compromise camera in my bag was something I was always damned happy to have and really miss. The Fuji 23 is a GREAT lens but working on some tougher shots I've taken with the Fuji and comparing them to similar stuff from the RX1 it was clear that the files just aren't in the same league. I can do things with the RX1 files I've never been able to do with anything else and it's a versatile enough focal length to use for a LOT of stuff. I've never liked a camera more than the RX1 and not sure I've ever liked one quite as much (other than the Nikon A, which isn't going ANYWHERE). The Fuji will still be great and get plenty of use at the longer and wider focal lengths - the 14 will mostly LIVE on the XT1 - but that 24-35 neighborhood is where I live and having these two fixed lens cameras in that range just freakin' WORKED for me brilliantly when I had 'em. If I hadn't gotten stars in my eyes over the Df (before I fully worked out the compromises it entailed in my own mind), I'd have never sold the RX1. And I can easily get the RX1, Nikon A, and the XT1 with the 14 and 60 all in an Ona Bowery, which is a SMALL day bag. The remaining Fuji gear will still get plenty of use, but the RX1 and Nikon A will be my go-to day to day gear again. Happy day!!!

And I'm happy to put money back in Luke's pocket. We had another transaction going the other direction for roughly the same amount of money late last year, so now balance has somehow been restored...

-Ray

Are you going to Hoocap it?!

I took mine off the other day to see if I still love it, I had to put it back on five minutes later. Lol

My dream cam is still a mix of the x100 and rx1. I need an rx100 I guess... Oh... Wait, no that's not right... :D
Mebbe a x1? Or is that a Leica compact... Bah , ;)

I've been using my em1 a lot lately, I need to get back to my rx1!

Eliot@iPad

I need to chime in here as I had the RX1 and M9, 50 Summilux. I felt the files soooo close that I chose to sell the Leica and stay with the newer technology. I ultimately also the RX1 as I felt the rendering was not to my liking. One Nikon V1, an RX10 and year later, settled on the Alpha 6000/FE 1.8/55 Zeiss. Point being while having buyers remorse over my particular RX1 at the time, I feel Sony is finally giving me the the IQ much closer to what the M9 gave me, albeit an APS-C sensor. I love the RX1 silent shutter and sharpness, I spent much on that rig but that's just one of the things about being an early adopter. I swore I would never buy another Sony product again based on the money I've lost and the fact that I've traded/sold every NEX and RX model I've owned. I say this because I couldn't be happier with the rig I have now. Either their products are improving or I'm just an idiot... probably a bit of both! I want to see some ding-dang RX1 pics soon Ray!

Italy

As I bought my RX1r while doing a major job, before my work ended I could only try to learn about the camera and its possibilities a little. That's what I did reading the manual, and forums. But you have to be on the field to really understand your usage and how much you like it or not. And, now on vacations and starting to travel, I can say I do like it.

I went to Italy and France, carrying a RX100 M2, a NEX 5T (with a Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye, and a SEL 1018), and the RX1r. The RX100 M2 was barely used, as well as the SEL 1018. And, travelling with my parents and brother, I have to admit the Fish Eye was the most fun combination I had. Real fun. But, and here comes the big but, the pictures that gave me most pleasure afterwards are the ones from the RX1r. Thus: fun=NEX 5t + Fish Eye; pleasure=RX1r.

This means that, while I shot most with the Fish Eye, whenever light and scenarium were stimulating enough, I took the RX1r out and it didn't fault me. The below pictures probably have no artistic merit at all, I'm just trying to have some enjoyment, but when I see them, I do like them. My mother and the boat are SOOC JPEGS reduced in size at PSE. While they can be improved in RAW PP (which I did to test: for instance, there is a color cast over my mother's face that I took out in PP, but it is very slight for my eyes/taste to bother much), the Jpegs were enough - very enough, great JPEGS - to make me happy. In my dad's picture I only did some minor exposure adjustments.

In any case, that's why I bought this camera: to have some special pictures (to me, at least), of some special moments. Maybe other cameras will or would achieve similar results for my not so demanding eyes, but I have the feeling that the RX1r helps me achieve the results I like easier, and make me able to enjoy that special smile from my mother or my father with some more beauty (BTW, I know focus on my dad should be in the eyes, but so what, it is not so badly off and the smile is the same! And I'll get the handle of this camera using it more).

DSC00496_v1 pn2.jpg

DSC00583a.jpg

DSC00473a.jpg

And I kinda liked the result in the exaggeration of detail in PP in this one...

DSC00583_v2 pn2 detail.jpg

As I bought my RX1r while doing a major job, before my work ended I could only try to learn about the camera and its possibilities a little. That's what I did reading the manual, and forums. But you have to be on the field to really understand your usage and how much you like it or not. And, now on vacations and starting to travel, I can say I do like it.

I went to Italy and France, carrying a RX100 M2, a NEX 5T (with a Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye, and a SEL 1018), and the RX1r. The RX100 M2 was barely used, as well as the SEL 1018. And, travelling with my parents and brother, I have to admit the Fish Eye was the most fun combination I had. Real fun. But, and here comes the big but, the pictures that gave me most pleasure afterwards are the ones from the RX1r. Thus: fun=NEX 5t + Fish Eye; pleasure=RX1r.

This means that, while I shot most with the Fish Eye, whenever light and scenarium were stimulating enough, I took the RX1r out and it didn't fault me. The below pictures probably have no artistic merit at all, I'm just trying to have some enjoyment, but when I see them, I do like them. My mother and the boat are SOOC JPEGS reduced in size at PSE. While they can be improved in RAW PP (which I did to test: for instance, there is a color cast over my mother's face that I took out in PP, but it is very slight for my eyes/taste to bother much), the Jpegs were enough - very enough, great JPEGS - to make me happy. In my dad's picture I only did some minor exposure adjustments.

In any case, that's why I bought this camera: to have some special pictures (to me, at least), of some special moments. Maybe other cameras will or would achieve similar results for my not so demanding eyes, but I have the feeling that the RX1r helps me achieve the results I like easier, and make me able to enjoy that special smile from my mother or my father with some more beauty (BTW, I know focus on my dad should be in the eyes, but so what, it is not so badly off and the smile is the same! And I'll get the handle of this camera using it more).

View attachment 9498

View attachment 9497

View attachment 9496

And I kinda liked the result in the exaggeration of detail in PP in this one...

View attachment 9499

Loved these and the candid moments you captured:). Did you use standard colour and settings for your jpegs?

Loved these and the candid moments you captured:). Did you use standard colour and settings for your jpegs?

Hey, thanks, glad you liked it! Like many of yours as well.

I have one memory set to "Vivid", with Contrast +1, and Saturation -2, DRO auto, which I use most; the other is set "Vivid", contrast -1, Saturation -1, DRO Off

All in Aperture mode, mostly multi centered metering, but that I change, ISO normally auto, but I may change, RAW+JPEGS, etc.

These are the basics.

I've had second thoughts and bought cameras back before, usually to no good purpose. But this one feels different. Because I never really wanted to sell the RX1 except for thinking I was going to go with a whole Nikon Df system. By the time I'd changed my mind on that, the RX1 was gone ...

-Ray

I also bought the Nikon Df. The Nikon f1.8G range is fabulous. However I just couldn't get on with the size of the DSLR again.
The RX1 is really fabulous.
So many years on and there is still nothing to compete with 35mm f2, pocket size and silent shutter with the most fabulous IQ.
I am camped out with an A7 and 35mm and 55mm but for silent shutter I use a Panasonic GM1. The second hand and new prices of the RX1R are becoming very tempting. I will probably sell the GM1 and 35mm FE at some point for one when I get my 24-70mm FE.
Ho hum ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow marcos, just fabulous!

Well, thanks!

It was the moon, the camera, and a little patience... I might have straighten the horizon like below, but I don't know which I prefer, there is some charm in not cropping and using whatever you manage to get on spot. Too many easy options in digital photography.

DSC00749_v3 pn2_v1 pn2.jpg

Actually I've got one quite cool with the fish eye with everything in it (moon, Monaco etc.), but this is not the proper forum, I guess...

Back