Sony Showcase RX1 Images

Peter Friedrich.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Have only had my lightly used Rx1R for a few days and have not had much chance to test its capabilities....but one thing it seem to do well is photograph people. This is an impromptu working portrait of my friend Rigoberto Castañeda, the Mexican film director, working 'on location' in Durango Mexico.

Cineasta_Rigo.jpg

More (images) to come soon, hopefully.

Attachments

• Cineasta_Rigo.jpg
    Cineasta_Rigo.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 126
I remember reading with fascination a handful of posts by Ray Sachs about a clever 'hack' to transform the Rx1 (and Rx1R and Rx1Rii as well) into zone-focusing street-shooting cameras. I reread them and am not quite certain that I understood everything Ray was saying, but I decided to try out the technique today...and I rather like the results.

All taken in the Metrobus, Mexico City's subway-like Bus System.

48572483537_f2e68d2c21_b.jpg
El Único Piojo Soy Yo by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

48572362401_4bdf07f3c1_b.jpg
Estación Metrobus by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

48572389291_d3fde3cbe3_b.jpg
Bubble Gummers by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

48572557637_fae6de8c0c_b.jpg
Para divertirte (Metrobus) by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

48572590182_442b44de8e_b.jpg
Charlando / Chatting / Causant by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

And one more from the same series, this one in color.
People always talk about the 35mm FOV (field of view) as being a 'wide angle' but for me, it's almost always seemed more of a normal perspective - the way I see the world. Another reason why the Rx1R, with its fixed 35mm lens, seems an easy camera to use...I just sort of lift it up and press the shutter and voilà! it comes out more or less like I saw it.

Madonna_Lazaro_Cardenas.jpg

It (the Rx1R) is definitely good for more than merely close-ish portraits, wide open. It's proving to be an interesting jack-of-all-trades-photographic-instrument, metaphorically speaking.

This photo was taken at an ancient Balneario - or combination public swimming pool slash water park - in a small town outside of Cuernavaca, México.

Estrictamente_PROHIBIDO.jpg

The Zeiss lens really renders things quite....nicely.

Two more from the Rx1R which is getting a workout. The first, an available light portrait of a writer friend, working on a project, in a moment of concentration -

Rewritng-Revisando.jpg

The next, shot inside the Metrobus - Mexico City's inexpensive and popular form of mass transit - at midday (using Ray Sachs' zone focus street-shooting system)

Vagon_de_Mujeres_Metrobus.jpg

Two more, both portraits, of friends I'm working with in Mexico right now. First is Edgar Luzanilla aka 'Luza', a brilliant camera operator and fine cinematographer as well as a general all-around cool human being --- in an early morning hour, preparing for the metaphorical battles (of television production) in the day ahead -

Luza_Camioneta_VSCOPortra160.jpg

This is Limón, an all purpose brilliant cog in the movie-production machine, and one of the sweeter and funnier people I have met.

Limon_Real_del_Monte.jpg

Back