Sony RX1 or RX1R

adam

Regular
Name
Adam
There is no doubt about it that the Sony RX1 and RX1R are both superb photographic tools. I am using an RX1R at the moment however I have the chance of swapping it for an RX1.

Here is the situation. I am noticing moire with the RX1R particularly when photographing certain types of architecture i.e. modern buildings etc. I realise that it can be removed via L/R but its yet another process to contend with.

The RX1R clearly produces amazing images however they sometimes appear almost too sharp !!! and artefacts can appear.

Has anybody used the RX1 and RX1R and care to comment ?

It would be helpful.

From what Ive seen the RX! is still a very capable landscape camera despite having less resolution due to removal of the A/A filter.

Is the A/A filter in the RX1 very weak ?

Thank you so much for your considered replies.

Adam

I remember when the RX1R first came out there was a lot of discussion comparing them. A few people who already had the RX1 got the RX1R and some of them were happy with the "R" model and some of them went back to the RX1. I don't remember moire being the issue - but some of them preferred the slightly less sharp rendering of the RX1. I think the general consensus was that there wasn't much between them though.

-Ray

Thank you Ray for your thoughtful reply - I appreciate it - Do you still use the RX1 ? Adam.
No, I liked it so much it convinced me to go all-in with full frame and now I'm shooting with a Nikon DSLR kit. And since 35mm isn't really my best focal length, once I had Zeiss lenses at 21 and 25, I was never really reaching for the RX1 anymore. So I eventually sold it. But I loved it - if they made one at 24-28 and made one or two relatively small changes to the operation, I'd buy another one and probably carry only that a LOT of the time...

-Ray

I have used only an RX1 and haven't noticed much moire with it, although I suspect it exists. For one thing, the RX1 is said to have a weak AA filter. However, according to sources like Imaging Resource, the RX1R, as you would expect, is more susceptible to moire than the RX1. Imaging Resource also reports that the RX1R shows significantly greater resolution than the RX1 with in-camera jpegs, but an almost indiscernible increase in resolution when shooting raw. DxO Mark claims that the RX1R has less dynamic range than the RX1. As Ray mentioned, some people who tried both preferred the output of the RX1, while others preferred the output of the RX1R. If you shoot raw, it probably makes sense to switch to the RX1, because reportedly you give up very little in resolution but you reduce the risk of moire and you may gain dynamic range. (Personally, I question the accuracy of DxO Mark's dynamic range test on the RX1R.) If you shoot jpeg, you might want to keep the RX1R, as you would benefit from the increased jpeg resolution, and the RX1R jpeg engine reportedly does a good job of reducing moire to a level not much different from the RX1.

I'm just a newb here having received my RX1R just a few days ago so I cannot but marvel in awe at the images it produces even in my inexpert hands :)

So my opinion is based on logic only and not from real life experience: it is easier to soften too sharp of an image than viceversa :) So if this holds true I'd keep the RX1R (and above all stop pixel peeping) :)

Back