Sony RX1 Successor?

tapalandan

I'm currently looking at buying an RX1 but the retail price hasn't dropped from $2799 since launch over 12 months go. There are 'brand new unused in opened box' on Amazon around $2000 but this is inherently risky.

Sony tend to follow annual release plans for their models and I'm worried if I purchase an RX1 today that in a month or so a new model would be announced at the same price leaving me at a loss.

Are there any thoughts on on purchasing an RX1 today? All views greatly received. To anyone that wonders; yes I did read 'sonyalpharumours.com' and yes I do regret that move and the doubt it has instilled.

I wouldn't hesitate to a buy a used one, but everyone's risk tolerance is different. Some companies sell after-market warranties. Look into square trade if you that is something you would consider.

Or if you have a camera that works fine, wait it out. Eventually the price will drop.

i bought a beautiful used one a month ago, with evf (which i very much recommend), a RRS grip (which i recommend), two batteries etc, for much much less than the retail price of just the camera. no probs at all, looks and acts spanking new.

Anytime you buy a camera you're either gonna pay too much for it or risk having it replaced shortly after you buy it. Occasionally you get lucky and hit the sweet spot where the price has come down but a new one isn't right around the corner. And we have no way of knowing what's what unless we studiously read all the rumors sites, which just takes time away from useful pursuits, like shooting. I bought a new, full price RX1, with EVF, just short of a year ago. If I'd waited until last Autumn I'd have saved several hundred dollars on a used one. If I'd waited until now I might have saved a thousand on a new one. But I'd have missed all of that wonderful shooting I did with it over the past year, including a month on the Amalfi Coast that was just pure photographic heaven. So the "extra" I paid for the gear was waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than worth it to me. I wouldn't trade having had that camera for the past year for $1000. But I could afford it at the time. If I couldn't have, I wouldn't have and I'd have been damned happy with whatever I DID have instead.

There are no rumors that I'm aware of regarding an RX1 replacement. The RX1r was sort of a minor update several months ago. And the A7 / A7r were what some saw as the realization of the RX1 concept. So maybe there will be another RX?? at some point with a the A7r's 36mp sensor and maybe a built in EVF and a couple other bells and whistles. Or maybe not. The bottom line is that if you really want an RX1, you should get one. If I was buying one now, I'd probably buy a used one, but from a reputable dealer with some sort of warranty just to assure against some fatal flaw. But if you buy one new for whatever level of peace of mind it'll give you, it's no less worth the money now than it was a year ago. But, sure, there's always the risk there may be an RX2 right around the corner that Sony's done a good job of staying quiet about. If I was buying today instead of a year ago, I MIGHT buy an A7 with the lesser 35mm lens and hope for more and better lenses down the road. Or I might not. I love the RX1 and it's the only camera I've bought recently that I figured and still figure I'd have for several years. Barring a total conversion to a full frame system like the A7, I can't imagine getting rid of it as long as its still working...

-Ray

The RX1 used is about as good of a deal as you can get. I mean you get a lens that if sold by itself would be worth more than the camera, an amazing FF sensor with really good high ISO all in a nice sleek package with great UI. I went with the GR partly for cost, and size. But also because 28mm on aps-c is just easier than a 35mm on FF at least as snap shooter. If I could own a camera just for shootng at infinite at night it would be the RX

Frequency of replacement usually goes down as price goes up.

True; but the A99 came out just before the RX1 and that's now at the end of it's life.

Sony are worse than Apple at refreshing existing products with a new number and not much else so not too worried. Case in point for me is the TX5 to TX30 waterproof which despite 4 models is basically the same unit.

Back