Sony RX1 - the camera I don't need.

But certainly wants one. Anybody out there feels the same ?

(All the more the RX1R makes it a stronger proposition. :D)

Definitely! I've begun to get some serious envy happening... and I've just bought the baby brother RX100! That will have to keep me for a while and I'm very happily looking forward to using it *happy girl*

It does have 24fps video. But not the 50mm :/. I'd really like an 85 or 100mm version, OR a id be willing to spend the extra money on a vario version.. like, 28/50/100 or something like that, as long as it was as good of quality as the lens is on there right now.

Oh sure, I love the RX1 but I can't afford it. I've heard rumors that that RX1 is a bit of a marketing experiment and that a full-frame NEX might be next. If that NEX came with the NEX7's built-in EVF, how much more would we like that than the RX1?

I absolutely don't need it, but I've got it. It doesn't play to my strengths as a shooter and I don't think I play to it's either. But it's such a great camera, I'm really glad I have it anyway. On this Italian trip it's getting far less use than either the Coolpix A or the XE1 with the 14mm, mostly because its not a focal length I particularly love. But some of the shots I've gotten with it I just don't think I could have done as well with anything else, whether for maintaining subtle tonality in low light or pulling back detail out of some king hell shadows and highlights. And once in a great while I even do something I sort of like with its narrow DOF that I sort of like. While its not my favorite focal length, when I do manage to nail a composition I really like, the images are just sooooo good.

It's occurred to me that the rational thing to do would be to sell it and get an X100s or something else that would get me 90% of the way there for less than half the cost. But it's really nice knowing you've got one "no compromises" piece of kit in the bag, and the RX1 is very clearly that. It's also so well out together and so smooth in operation, that its just something that would be hard to get rid of. I don't use it enough, but when I do, I basically like everything about it. If they'd just do one in 28mm...

-Ray

Ray, thanks for your insights. May I know more about your thoughts in bringing together the Coolpix, RX1 and the XE1 especially for travel? I never tried bringing 3 cameras at the same time, I almost always bring at least 2.

Ray, thanks for your insights. May I know more about your thoughts in bringing together the Coolpix, RX1 and the XE1 especially for travel? I never tried bringing 3 cameras at the same time, I almost always bring at least 2.

I'm trying four at the moment, but to be honest three would probably have been plenty...

I tend to shoot with one for fairly large chunks of time, but some days I like shooting at 28mm, sometimes I like something wider, and occasionally I like something longer, mostly for candid portraits and stuff. And I like grabbing a second (or third) camera out if the bag more than I like fishing for lenses and then messing with changing lenses. Most of the time on this trip, I'll just take one camera with me when I walk out if the apartment into town or down to the beach or something. Mostly, that's the Coolpix A because its small, well set up for how I shoot, my favorite focal length, and just a camera that I've totally bonded with. But sometimes it's the XE1 for the extra width and sometimes it's the RX1 just because its such a nice camera to shoot with and the focal length takes me just far enough outside of my comfort zone that some times it shakes up my perspective a bit, which I figure is a good thing. And because there's just something about the images it turns out. Yesterday, we went for a full day to a couple of different towns down the coast - I took all three and used all three, but that's pretty rare - usually I'll just get into a flow with one particular camera/focal length and shoot with it all day.

The OMD I don't think has left the apartment with me yet, but I've got some nice family shots with it and the 75mm. The DP1M loaner is an experiment and I've ended up using it very little - great camera for what it is, but not my cup of tea. I've taken it out a couple times, but the Nikon just suits me tons better at the same focal length. So, my standard 28mm gets the lions share, a wider angle and a longer angle keep me on my toes from time to time, and the variety in how each one shoots and works keeps me engaged and keeps it fun - helps avoid ruts.

-Ray

d'oh... I wish you hadn't told me that.... that means I'm one ticked box closer...

It also has 60fps at 1080p, and video AF. Pretty slick :)

Really excited for the NEX FF. I may actually get rid of my 5D setup if the NEXFF ends up being good, the tiny RX1 has blown my mind haha

:D I'm looking forward to see what a Sony FF body, with Zeiss lenses, would add to those illustration mode images.

I'm guessing different focal lengths? Mostly within the range of the RX100, but probably some wider and longer. I don't think the full frame IQ is particularly important to the illustration modes!

-Ray

Back