Sony RX1 - the camera I don't need.

more "stupid stuff" that I'm shooting (because I'm house-bound today....hurt my back)

DSC00919.jpg

Watch those calories!:tongue:

Hey, I'm sorry about your back rpavich and hope you'll be 100% soon.

The image quality is quite spectacular - "silly" or not.

Thanks very much BB, It's feeling better.

My Voigtlander OVF comes tomorrow so I hope to get outside and shoot something better than corn dogs. :)

I absolutely don't need it, but I've got it. It doesn't play to my strengths as a shooter and I don't think I play to it's either. But it's such a great camera, I'm really glad I have it anyway. On this Italian trip it's getting far less use than either the Coolpix A or the XE1 with the 14mm, mostly because its not a focal length I particularly love. But some of the shots I've gotten with it I just don't think I could have done as well with anything else, whether for maintaining subtle tonality in low light or pulling back detail out of some king hell shadows and highlights. And once in a great while I even do something I sort of like with its narrow DOF that I sort of like. While its not my favorite focal length, when I do manage to nail a composition I really like, the images are just sooooo good.

It's occurred to me that the rational thing to do would be to sell it and get an X100s or something else that would get me 90% of the way there for less than half the cost. But it's really nice knowing you've got one "no compromises" piece of kit in the bag, and the RX1 is very clearly that. It's also so well out together and so smooth in operation, that its just something that would be hard to get rid of. I don't use it enough, but when I do, I basically like everything about it. If they'd just do one in 28mm...

-Ray

Well put! It's not my favourite focal length either, but I'm using it because I really like the look I can make with it. I'd love Sony to make one with an 85mm f/1.4 to partner with it, kinda like Sigma is doing with their Merrill lineup.

I feel no need for the camera, just cannot see myself with a full frame camera with a fixed 35mm lens on it. If it came with 28 or 24, I would have one here within the hour.

Have to admit that 24mm has been my favorite...and I keep looking for it on a camera I really want to use. But what am I saying...I do have two cameras I want to use.:tongue: And neither has a 24mm view!

d'oh... I wish you hadn't told me that.... that means I'm one ticked box closer...

It also has manual focusing and focus peaking with a zoom feature to help focus; oh, and it has the choice of three colors for peaking and three levels of outline intensity...

Oh, and the IQ is soooo good you can easily crop to 50mm equivalent. IMHO

:tsk: This may be too much info!;)

It really is amazing how things have developed from the old split image focus days. I will add that as my eyesight went down hill and I needed glasses any nostalgia I ever had for split image focus disappeared fast!

I think the direct link from the site posts gets the affiliate benefits per Amin's prev post.

When I select the return policy, it is same as Amazon's 30 day policy.

Back