Sony RX100 II or GM1

colonel

Regular
Deciding between these two cameras. I want something pocket sized and silent (i.e. electronic shutter) with some zoom range

Interchangeable lenses is nice but not a decider. I am more interested in IQ.

So far I see that the GM1 has a 0.5 stop noise advantage and the RX100 has a 0.7 stop dynamic range advantage.

Obviously lens quality is key. I am a big fan fo Sony/Zeiss lenses, but also Panasonic makes some pretty good Panny/Leica lenses. However I don't think the kit lens is a Leica design.

Just wondered what you guys think and also if anyone has used both and can comment

many thanks

I am in the same dilemma up till now. I am more or less settled to get a RX100 and is now shopping around for the lowest price in my country. The rationale behind my decision was that RX100 is small enough to fit most of my trouser, GM1 is small... but the lens I had (12-50mm) would not allow it to go into my pocket.

I have read some reviews, the IQ differences between RX100 and RX100ii is really not that much and if you have no use for the hotshoe and swivel LCD, then get the cheaper RX100. I have decided not to get the RX100ii mainly because the accessories although useful are too expensive for me.

(PS. I also appreciated the helpful advises that the brothers and sisters in this forum had given me when I pose similar questions. Without their advises, I am still at a lost as to what to get.)

I was going back and forth between those two models for my wife. I ended up going with the GM1 mostly because I thought the orange was cool and figured that the detachable and non-automagically-telescoping lens would give the Panasonic a bit more durability/longevity.

I have to think their isn't too much IQ difference between those two cameras (with the kit lens on the GM1). I think the decision for me was based on features... interchangeable vs. thin, longer reach lens, tilt screen, etc.

I really think it boils down to this: If you really need the camera to be pocketable - as in shirt or pants pocketable - then there's no question the RX100 (Mark I or II) is the choice. That's because the GM1, despite its tiny body, isn't truly pocketable as soon as you put a lens on it. Even with the tiny 12-32mm zoom and the 14mm f/2.5. Jacket pocketable, yes. But not shirt or pants pocketable. Once you're past that issue, the GM1 becomes more attractive because of the flexibility that interchangeable lenses can give you. Plus there's the larger sensor. Just my two cents' worth, anyway.

many thanks all

I have gone for the GM1 as I actually bought one cheaper then a RX100 ii and it seems to have more possibilities

I also liked the manual zoom. Better for speed of operation and also subtlety in certain environments.
Interestingly the RX100 is slightly more pocketable then the GM1 when both are off, but when both are on and extended the RX100 actually has a longer lens.
I plan to buy the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 ii for when I am doing low light or want super compact.

I did like the RX100 very much and thought it would be good for a person who doesn't need replaceable lenses or is not going to push the ISO at all. (the difference in sensor size only seems to start to be apparent at A4 or less at ISO 1600, which says alot about the excellence of Sony sensors and CPUs).

I am a big Sony fan, and the GM1 is essentially a small silent option to complement my A7 kit

best rgds

I've handled both cameras - and found the GM1 to be surprisingly nice even though it's positively tiny! Very seducative indeed, even though I decided against buying it (for the time being). The kit zoom (that I own and use a lot on my PM1) punches way above its weight, too (pun explicitely intended ...) - it's a very capable lens with nice crisp rendering, a very competitive wideangle option for mFT, actually; maybe not quite as good as some of the more expensive primes, but almost there - at the size and price, that's downright amazing. And the camera gives you very nice IQ - albeit with a bit drier JPEG colours than Olympus bodies ...

#That said, I think the RX100 and the RX100 II are groundbreaking cameras in terms of size-to-IQ ratio and *are* both more pocketable than the GM1, even with the kit zoom. So, if your trouser pocket is your way to carry a camera, the RX100 II is better - but there's another option or two if you don't need the zoom: The GR or the Coolpix A both offer a far better IQ and are not less pocketable than the RX100 II ...

BOT: Congrats - I think you chose the right setup :)

M.

The GM1 is a better and more flexible camera than the RX100s, but it fails in one key test of a compact camera.

This test may or may not be relevant for you (in the general sense, not addressing the OP).

The test is: can I put it in my shirt pocket with a zoom lens on it? The GM1 will not pass that test, and the RX100 will.

It may not be relevant for you, but that is one bright line difference.

Just an update
I sold the GM1. Just couldn't get on with two things, the handling, particularly the design of the touch screen (terribly annoying, always moving focus point by mistake) and the DR - once used to Sony, difficult to change.
I have pre-ordered the RX100 III - fingers crossed

rgds

I am sure you would love it! If you were used to the A7 interface you would be all too familiar with Sony's handling . I have been using the RX 100 for nearly 2 years and I can't remember the last time it failed me. Amazing little image catcher! Been going with me to the office and my travels as it is really pocketable. the IQ still wows me even today and if there were limitations it is nearly covered in the latest version. Let us know your journey with the new toy. Have fun!

Back