Sony RX100 III EVF and Digital Zoom Questions

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Some questions for any users of the Sony RX100 III: How useful do you find the EVF? Are there any issues with it in bright sunlight as there can be with EVFs on some other cameras? Have you used the RX100 III's digital zoom? Does image quality hold up if you don't get carried away? For context, I am also looking at the Canon G7X, which offers optical zoom out to 100mm. If I were to use digital zoom on the Sony out to 100mm - or even 200mm, what kind of results can I expect? I've tried this on other cameras and the results can vary widely, to say the least.

Some questions for any users of the Sony RX100 III: How useful do you find the EVF? Are there any issues with it in bright sunlight as there can be with EVFs on some other cameras? Have you used the RX100 III's digital zoom? Does image quality hold up if you don't get carried away? For context, I am also looking at the Canon G7X, which offers optical zoom out to 100mm. If I were to use digital zoom on the Sony out to 100mm - or even 200mm, what kind of results can I expect? I've tried this on other cameras and the results can vary widely, to say the least.

No idea on the EVF, but digital zoom is basically just slightly enhanced cropping, which can be done in camera (with jpegs) or in PP (with either jpeg or raw). I'd guess cameras using the same basic sensor should be able to crop very similarly. There would be a big difference between what you could do with a 20mp 1" sensor and a 10mp 1/1.7" sensor based on both the number and quality of the pixels. But I'd think the digital zoom / crop capability of the RX100 and G7X should be extremely close if not identical. I don't think you'd have any problems getting the RX100 III to look quite good at a 100mm equivalent crop in most situations where you weren't really pushing the ISO or weren't cropping from a corner where the digital lens correction would start to limit how far you could take it. Of course, you can then probably crop the G7X to about 135-150mm with the same result, but if all you want is to get to 100-120mm equivalent for portraits, I'd think you'd be able to do it reasonably well from the 70mm long end of the RX100 III.

-Ray

Back