Sony RX100 - it's going back...

Lightmancer

Super Moderator
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
Sorry, I missed a word out. I shall go back and correct. It's in-camera raw CONVERSION I am missing. If I could still take raw+top quality jpgs that would help, but it's not allowed; you inexplicably are forced to step down one jpg quality level when shooting raw+jpg.

Matero

Top Veteran
Jan 28, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I just pulled the plug saving money and invested the travel camera Sony RX-100 IV. I can’t complain my decision. Even ’not extra fine’-jpegs in Raw+jpeg mode are perfectly fine for my skills. When getting more confident and learning to use the marvel I probably stick again plain jpegs.

Straight SOOC JPEG with PlayMemories to iPhone and forum.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Handrail intentionally censoring people by the pool to keep this suitable for whole family :2thumbs:

Last edited:

Lightmancer

Super Moderator
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
So... after a brief flirtation with the RX100 IV it is going back. I gave it a bash over the weekend and in London yesterday and it just isn't me.

These are my reasons (and yes, I was warned):

• Size; it really is just too small, even with an accessory grip
  • Lack of an in-camera raw converter
  • Inability to shoot raw+top quality jpg
  • The battery life of a mayfly
  • Heat - yes, I know it's hot at the moment, but my Fuji(s) and Ricoh don't radiate like this thing
  • Viewfinder - simply not adequate
  • Disappointing mono performance
  • Compromised step-zoom
  • Cludgy memory set/recall
I love the Sonnar, I love the idea of a small, powerful camera, but the RX100 is just too many compromises for me.

Lesson learned.

Matero

Top Veteran
Jan 28, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I recognise what you Bill are saying. I’ve wrestled with the same things only different result. I decided to overlook:
- cumbersome menus for setting the jpegs
- lack of thin FOD (compared to Fuji system I have) when closing the aperture and when zooming in
- a bit annoying opening of EVF

Pros for this thingy why I’m keeping it:
- size (and fairly well build)
- video and the high burst effects (fun to play with it when having vacation with kids)
- very acceptable image quality in good light and
- just acceptable when ISO6400
- high contrast B&W which I like

It’s always hourses for courses, this thing will help me to shoot more :)

Last edited:

tugela

Jan 4, 2019
This looks like a really nice camera! I'm so glad to see Sony put a really usable zoom on the RX100 series. But I'm now struggling between RX100 III and V, we travel and I wanted to have a camera that I can do stills and video for some travel vlogs. The Sony RX100 seems to fit that nearly perfectly. The only thing I'm caught between the III and V. At B&H I can get the V for about $950 with some goodies, and the III is about $698 now. I saw an article about the contrast between them, I'm not sure which one?

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
Now there is the temptation of the mk VI with the 24-200 2.8 zoom. I resist because I just don’t like using the RX100 series. It’s handy for a trip to Disney but I just wouldn’t grab it for a day of photographic wandering. One of the mu43 bodies with the Panny 12-32 and 35-100 4-5.6 is just more useful all around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom