Sony RX100 - it's going back...

Sorry, I missed a word out. I shall go back and correct. It's in-camera raw CONVERSION I am missing. If I could still take raw+top quality jpgs that would help, but it's not allowed; you inexplicably are forced to step down one jpg quality level when shooting raw+jpg.

I just pulled the plug saving money and invested the travel camera Sony RX-100 IV. I can’t complain my decision. Even ’not extra fine’-jpegs in Raw+jpeg mode are perfectly fine for my skills. When getting more confident and learning to use the marvel I probably stick again plain jpegs.

Straight SOOC JPEG with PlayMemories to iPhone and forum.

7E577237-C18B-4CD4-862E-BE27EC4243AE.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
63272E2C-FDD2-41C6-A521-8ADB666BEA9F.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Handrail intentionally censoring people by the pool to keep this suitable for whole family :2thumbs:

Last edited:
So... after a brief flirtation with the RX100 IV it is going back. I gave it a bash over the weekend and in London yesterday and it just isn't me.

These are my reasons (and yes, I was warned):

• Size; it really is just too small, even with an accessory grip
  • Lack of an in-camera raw converter
  • Inability to shoot raw+top quality jpg
  • The battery life of a mayfly
  • Heat - yes, I know it's hot at the moment, but my Fuji(s) and Ricoh don't radiate like this thing
  • Viewfinder - simply not adequate
  • Disappointing mono performance
  • Compromised step-zoom
  • Cludgy memory set/recall
I love the Sonnar, I love the idea of a small, powerful camera, but the RX100 is just too many compromises for me.

Lesson learned.

I recognise what you Bill are saying. I’ve wrestled with the same things only different result. I decided to overlook:
- cumbersome menus for setting the jpegs
- lack of thin FOD (compared to Fuji system I have) when closing the aperture and when zooming in
- a bit annoying opening of EVF

Pros for this thingy why I’m keeping it:
- size (and fairly well build)
- video and the high burst effects (fun to play with it when having vacation with kids)
- very acceptable image quality in good light and
- just acceptable when ISO6400
- high contrast B&W which I like

It’s always hourses for courses, this thing will help me to shoot more :)

Last edited:
This looks like a really nice camera! I'm so glad to see Sony put a really usable zoom on the RX100 series. But I'm now struggling between RX100 III and V, we travel and I wanted to have a camera that I can do stills and video for some travel vlogs. The Sony RX100 seems to fit that nearly perfectly. The only thing I'm caught between the III and V. At B&H I can get the V for about $950 with some goodies, and the III is about $698 now. I saw an article about the contrast between them, I'm not sure which one?

Last edited:
Now there is the temptation of the mk VI with the 24-200 2.8 zoom. I resist because I just don’t like using the RX100 series. It’s handy for a trip to Disney but I just wouldn’t grab it for a day of photographic wandering. One of the mu43 bodies with the Panny 12-32 and 35-100 4-5.6 is just more useful all around.

Last edited:
Back