Sony RX100 M1 - PAL, does it have an NTSC mode?

zerowalker

Hi,

i wonder if there are any RX100 M1 PAL owners here who can tell me if the camera has an NTSC mode?

Cause from my understanding the later versions has this feature where only the PAL version can be converted to NTSC and back on demand. Meaning you can record 1080p60 etc.

But i have not been able to get any information on the M1 if it has this feature.
Be aware that the manual completely ignore this and you have to look at the camera,
no idea why it's so problematic to get hold of this information -_-.

I'm not sure I've completely understood your question, but I believe that all variants of the RX100 are factory set to record either PAL or NTSC (really 25/50 fps or 30/60 fps) depending on the region. PAL for cameras sold in Europe and NTSC for North America and Japan. This cannot be changed by the user. You'll see a little label on the underneath on the camera which tells you whether it's a 25/50 or 30/60 frame rate model.

The limitation only affects recordings. A PAL model can be set to play back NTSC material and an NTSC model can be set to play back PAL material.

-R

Last edited:
The RX100 M2 and above are able to change from PAL to NTSC at will (25/50 to 30/60 and back).
This is ONLY possible on the PAL version.
But i cannot confirm if M1 has this option:(

My mk1 RX100 will only record 25/50 frame rates as it was purchased in Europe. I can't find the menu setting for switching the playback format between 25/50 and 30/60 rates so I'm not so confident about that part now. These links may help:

Is Record format 60i ok for UK televisions?

NTSC RX100... Anyone Have One?: Sony Cyber-shot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

-R

Well if you can't find the option it's probably not there.
Mark 2 seems to have it as several ppl have confirmed it being there, so it might be that it just started appearing with M2.
I am gonna ask one with M2 where the setting is located so we can confirm that your M1 has it or not.

Yeah but it doesn't really clarify if it's for recording. But it does say more than M1 indeed.
Please look at your serial tag on the camera, does it say "60i/50i" or something like that?

Mine has 50i written on the bottom, because it was purchased in Europe and will only ever record 25/50 fps.

My understanding is that all models of RX100 are factory set with the appropriate local frame rate for recording.

For playback, it looks like you need a mk2 or later to support a choice of playback frame rate.

-R

Then i guess yours is only 50i.

And from my understanding, No, the PAL versions are Not forced set to 50 fps.
I asked someone in my country who had the M2 and he could switch and record in 1080p60/30/24.
And here is someone who has the M3 and can switch as well: Re: RX100 M1 - PAL version. Does it have an NTSC selector?: Sony Cyber-shot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

So i am assuming now that it's only M2 and above that has this option on PAL versions, kinda sad as i kind wanted M1 as the M2 is more expensive and doesn't seem to be much better?

EDIT: Forget what i said, the one i asked in my country had M3.

Back