Sony RX100 Mk VI

The Panaleicas are assembled on the same (Panasonic) production line. Every screw, nut and bolt is the same. Differences lie in cosmetic appearance, firmware, bundled software, length of warranty and in customer service.

Oh boy does the difference lie in customer service...

For a long time I scoffed at the thought of purchasing a Leica-branded Panasonic compact. But the differences in the firmware/jpg tuning are real. That and the included software make the added cost much easier to take. I've never had to make use of Panasonic's customer service. But if it's as problematic as their online store in the U.S., that could seal the deal.

For a long time I scoffed at the thought of purchasing a Leica-branded Panasonic compact. But the differences in the firmware/jpg tuning are real. That and the included software make the added cost much easier to take.

If only those magical gnomes at Leica could figure out a way to easily and reliably replicate that firmware/software instead of having to engineer it from scratch every time they build a camera, it would certainly bring down the cost...

Well that m43 Panasonic "Leica" "Summilux" lens is certainly nice and different from Olympus' offerings but you'd have a hard time differentiating its quality from the Panasonic Lumix 20mm F1.7.

Jono has a review of the C-lux, no dng files like other Leicas:
Leica C-Lux

I have the Pana version, thanks to ebay $100 discount... I like the long range though missing the tilting screen... The long end is slow, so the Sony's lens might help in the low light, but then it is not that long. A few shots of the Pana from the local parks while walking the dog, small bird shots are crops:

w-P1000023.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
w-P1000036.jpg
w-P1000039.jpg
w-P1000041.jpg
w-P1000047i.jpg
w-P1000050i.jpg
w-P1000070.jpg
w-P1000079.jpg
w-P1000085.jpg
w-P1000109.jpg
w-P1000113.jpg
w-P1000120.jpg
w-P1000141.jpg
w-P1000147i.jpg
w-P1000151i.jpg
w-P1000155.jpg
w-P1000176.jpg
w-P1000258.jpg
w-P1000277.jpg
w-P1000303i.jpg
. A

I just recommended this camera to a friend. She has always wanted a high quality small camera with a longish (stabilized) zoom. She currently has a Nikon V2 and the 10-100 zoom. Being familiar with her travel photography, this is really the perfect camera for her. I told her to wait until someone tests the lens, but if it's sharp she may be in. Do I think it's worth $1200 USD? Maybe. It appears to be a high quality implementation of many "not easily combined" features. For someone that can afford $1200 and doesn't suffer GAS every other week, it may be a real deal.

My friends is going to buy the RX100 VI. She is moving to China for a new job and wants a new travel camera. She used my RX100 iii for a few trips and really liked it, only wishing it had a longer zoom :rolleyes-74: She is also looking at the handle-like grip that tuns into a tiny tripod:
Sony GP-VPT1 Shooting Grip with Mini Tripod GPVPT1 B&H Photo
She is a fairly thrifty person but she will spend the money if she likes something.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get tempted myself. It looks like it would be the perfect companion to my Sigma DP2M.
I bought a A6300 earlier this year, but I'm not bonding with it at all, I much prefer the DP2M files and carrying around two "midsize compacts" isn't really what I want.

The RX100 VI would cover everything the Sigma doesn't do, wide angle, tele, fast autofocus and video, and at the same time be very small so it wouldn't feel like lugging two cameras around.

DPR review: Sony Cyber-shot DSC RX100 VI review
No RAW samples yet since the converters aren't available yet. The lens seems to be very good. I'm amazed that Sony did as well as it did with the speed/zoom trade offs for so small a package. Of course, this is not a replacement for the RX100 V so the speed version is till out there. If you have the money, you could easily have a small kit of the V and VI as a very nice travel package.

I got to play with my friend's RX100 VI today. Of course, it feels exactly like all the other RX100's and has the ergonomics of a bar of Irish Spring. The EVF is a big improvement, however, as there's no manual pulling it "in and out" to use it or put it away. You can also prevent it from turning off the camera when you push it in, although that may have been true on the IV or V as well. AF is really quick in AF-S but I didn't try AF-C. The images looks pretty sharp at 200mm (equiv). I'm still amazed that it has the same capabilities as the RX10 I had at a small fraction of the weight and size except for being a single stop slower at the long end. (I didn't really note how the aperture fell off as you zoomed out.) She was happy to pay the premium for the small "do it all" camera. Sadly, her Nikon V2 with 28-280 (equiv) may not be making the trip now. I always thought the V2 was a great little camera in hand. Sony could do really well with these since they appear to really do the job of a longer zoom travel camera.

Hello, all! I am joining in on the discussions about the Sony RX100 M VI since I have one, which arrived on Launch Day (July 10). I had participated in some discussion of the camera on Amin's other forum, the one devoted to Sony E-Mount cameras, and it somewhat belatedly occurred to me that probably I should check out this forum and see if there were discussion on here, which is a more logical location.

I have shot Nikon for many years and then a few years ago purchased the Sony NEX-7, which I immediately loved. A couple of years later bought the RX100 M3, which I loved, too, and found just great for travel. I eventually replaced it with the M5 last year. The one thing which I found annoying about the M5 was the fairly short reach and so when I learned about the M6 and its imminent arrival I promptly preordered it from B&H and received it on Launch Day.

I'm keeping my M5, too, though, because of that wonderful f/1.8 - f/2.8 aperture, which really is great in low-light situations. Unless, at some point I decide to swap it in on a new M5 A, which will be arriving on the scene early in August...... That camera will have some of the new features and functions of the M6 while still retaining the wider aperture and 24-70 zoom range.

The menu system in the M6 does seem a bit daunting at first and it does take some time to sort through all of the various options in settings, and I have found myself tweaking them as I use the camera more in various situations. There is a very useful online setup guide by Wim Arys: Sony RX100 VI advanced manual I have found this to be great for going step-by-step through each setting and he clarifies a few items along the way, which helps a lot.

I find the lens on the RX100 M6 to be very sharp and the colors very pleasing; I tend to shoot in Aperture priority and after my initial experiments with the camera I decided to also try the Clear Image Zoom feature, which is surprisingly good and which has not had a negative impact on my images while extending my reach even a little further. I have so far been shooting in JPG while waiting for RAW conversion to come along from the various sources. I am a Mac user and am still using Apple's Aperture for editing my images, but one of these days I really need to do some extensive trial-and-error on a few of the other programs that are available out there now. I'm not a big fan of the subscription plan that Adobe is offering, so probably am not going to invest in that for Photoshop and Lightroom; I don't shoot professionally and I usually don't shoot all that often, either.

After all this blabbing, I suppose you might want to see an image or two....or more!

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

DSC00304 (1).jpg

DSC00323 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Back