Sony RX100 or NEX 5R at the same price.

I'd like an RX100... but I just know the competition will be coming out with a slew of compact enthusiast cameras featuring one-inch sensors and fixed lenses in six months or less. These will be the cameras the Panasonic LX7 and Olympus XZ-2 should have been. I want to see them first. The price of the RX100 should come down by then anyway.

I don't see Panasonic, Canon, Fuji or Olympus bringing out 1" sensors until their normal refresh, so around next fall. They already introduced new models for this year and I really think Sony caught everyone napping with the RX100.

I'm hoping for Ricoh to make a GRD-5 with the RX100 sensor sometime next year though. That sensor with the GRD controls and a super high quality fixed 28mm equivalant lens would be awesome.

I don't see Panasonic, Canon, Fuji or Olympus bringing out 1" sensors until their normal refresh, so around next fall. They already introduced new models for this year and I really think Sony caught everyone napping with the RX100.

I'm hoping for Ricoh to make a GRD-5 with the RX100 sensor sometime next year though. That sensor with the GRD controls and a super high quality fixed 28mm equivalant lens would be awesome.

I'll buy that!!!!

You certainly could be right. But the LX7 is already at $299.

Both the RX100 and he NEX 5R are $649 now. Which one would you get?

For a long while, I was considering both the RX100, and a NEX (either 5 or 6). Eventually, I bought an RX100. I didn't buy a NEX, and I am no longer considering one, so I guess that my answer's obvious. ;)

The RX100 continues to impress me, more than a year after I bought it.:)

Tricky one. I have an RX100 and a NEX (the 7 though I started with the 5). If you don't plan to use more than the kit lens with the 3 I'd probably go with the RX100. If I was buying today I would go with the RX100 II just because of the adjustable screen and the EVF option.

I think it is a pretty easy one. If you intend this to be your only camera, and you have a budget to buy more lenses for the NEX, then by all means go with that. But, if this camera is "supplemental" to a quality ILC kit, and you value size and versatility, then the RX100 is a fairly easy choice.

I don't think someone with the username "lenshoarder" is considering something to be his only camera. :)

it's also interesting that the thread is well over a year old. For me, if I had no other camera and had the budget (and interest) to build a system (I would not be interested in the slightest of ONLY using a NEX camera and whatever slow kit zoom is being packaged with it), it would be the NEX. If I just wanted a compact camera to carry around with great IQ, it would be the RX100.

Back