Sony Rx100 size vs other options?

gdourado

Regular
Hello.

How are you? I've been reading quite a lot about the rx100 for the last couple of days and I must say I am feeling really tempted to order one as a always with me camera, mainly due to it's really compact size.

However, I would like to know how the Sony compares to the smallest m43 offerings in regard to size. Is it much smaller than a gf5 or a e-pm1 with a pancake like the 14mm or 20mm? It wouldn't have the convenience of the zoom, but if the size wasn't that much different, O think I would prefer the m43 setup.

So, does anyone have comparison pictures? I think it could be helpful to everyone.

Cheers and thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

the m43 cameras are appreciably bigger (and will have appreciably better IQ). It's up to the user to decide how much is enough. Here's a comparison I threw together (click the link below....and don't forget to check out the other views that are available). Just for kicks I threw in the diminutive Pentax Q because I've been seeing some pretty decent shots with it lately, and since the price has been dropping precipitously.....it's now to the point of being a cute impulse buy.
Compact Camera Meter

Here are a few more comparisons. It's easy to make your own here: Compact Camera Meter

7661970728_8ae82f0f42_b.jpg

Above from left to right: E-PM1/O17, RX100, GF5/P14, GX1/PZ14-42

7661970822_0fef1ae978_b.jpg

Above from left to right: E-PM1/P14, RX100, GF5/P20, GX1/P14

7661970588_bc0a08d679_b.jpg

Above from left to right: E-PM1/O14-42, RX100, GF5, GX1

I included the GX1 because it is smaller than most people realize. I was pleasantly surprised by this, but I think some GF1 upgraders might consider it too small.

Actually, the EPM1 is pretty close to the height and width of the Sony, but once you put even the smallest pancake on it (the 14mm), its a good deal deeper. If you really want something to keep in your PANTS pocket and you don't wear really big and baggy pants, the Canon S100 is the best of the serious compacts, followed by the Sony RX100 and nothing else will really do. For coat pocketable, nearly any of the compacts usually discussed here are good and the small m43 cams with a pancake will work too, but once you stick any sort of larger lens on (even the 12 and 45, which are quite small, protrude a bit much) it gets prohibitive.

-Ray

It's true, the S100 is still a good bit more pocketable than the RX100:

2012-07-28_1039.png

The GRD belongs with these two - sizewise it's wider than either but closer to the thickness of the S100 than the RX100.

the m43 cameras are appreciably bigger (and will have appreciably better IQ). It's up to the user to decide how much is enough.

Hello.

Is the difference in image quality really that big? For a normal use?

Cheers

Hello.

Is the difference in image quality really that big? For a normal use?
Within the zoom range, the difference with the older 12mp m43 bodies is pretty negligible from what I've seen. That Sony sensor really is quite impressive. Since the smallest m43 bodies all still have that older sensor, probably not a lot of difference. The newer 16mp sensors from Panasonic and Sony (in the EM5) are quite good however, so it depends on what you're comparing. And the new sensors will no doubt be in the next round of smaller m43 bodies, so its a short term condition. If I was more of a pixel peeper I'd still be leery of the RX100 lens, which seems to have some issues with decentering, soft corners, vignetting, and even discoloration in the the corners. There just have to be some compromises when you try to shoehorn that big a sensor and that zoom range into such a relatively small package. I doubt those things would bother me for the way I shoot, but the more peeperish among us might have issues with it. Pretty impressive little camera though...

-Ray

Within the zoom range, the difference with the older 12mp m43 bodies is pretty negligible from what I've seen. That Sony sensor really is quite impressive. Since the smallest m43 bodies all still have that older sensor, probably not a lot of difference. The newer 16mp sensors from Panasonic and Sony (in the EM5) are quite good however, so it depends on what you're comparing. And the new sensors will no doubt be in the next round of smaller m43 bodies, so its a short term condition. If I was more of a pixel peeper I'd still be leery of the RX100 lens, which seems to have some issues with decentering, soft corners, vignetting, and even discoloration in the the corners. There just have to be some compromises when you try to shoehorn that big a sensor and that zoom range into such a relatively small package. I doubt those things would bother me for the way I shoot, but the more peeperish among us might have issues with it. Pretty impressive little camera though...

-Ray

I am asking because I currently have a m43 setup I am thinking about ditching in favor of a rx100, due to the low use I give my m43 gear...
Decisions, decisions...

Cheers

you may need to figure out why you're not using your m43 gear. I would say the difference in IQ is similar to the difference in size. It depends on who you ask. People outside of this microcosm of raving lunatics would say they are the same size and the photos are the same. So it depends on how small your pockets are and how much pixel peeping you do.

Go over to the Sony talk forum on DPR and you'll find a lot of people who will tell you its the very best camera in the history of the world, or at least since the Renaissance. So if you're just looking for some confirmation, head on over...

As with everything, there are tradeoffs. Its a very small body for what it tries to do. The sensor is amazing, the lens is less amazing but seems mostly up to the test of the sensor. The handling is all some people want - maybe you're one of them? It would personally drive me crazy in anything other than a highly secondary role (no, I haven't handled one, but I feel reasonably confident saying that given how much its modelled after the S90-100 and my reaction to the handling on those cameras).

Sounds like its definitely worth checking out for you - its a major step forward in sensor technology for compacts and a lot of people love it and are shedding DSLR's. So maybe its up to your standard for shedding m43 gear. For me, these little cameras are always gonna be secondary to my m43 and APS gear, which always get a lot of use. When I have one of these compacts, it's the one that gets left behind almost all of the time, and then I end up selling them and then at some point wishing I had one again. But they seem to be the black sheep on my camera shelf, rather than m43.

-Ray

The m43 primes will give you better image quality, but If you compare rx100 lens to the m43 kit lenses there is little difference in kit lens speeds. The sensor difference between m43 and 1" sensor is more close to m43 to aps-c sensor size difference. Similarly the newer Sony omd sensor is close or near aps-c performance vs newer Sony RX100 sensor is close or near m43 12MP sensor performance. RX100 AF is very fast compared to my s95 so I don't put them in the same category because of that. The AF speed is more close to my nex-5n/omd but the accuracy is less. I haven't used it much since for photography I carry m43 with the lenses vs RX100 is a carry-on for casual photos for me. I think it can easily replace the 12MP m43 kit lens set up and rx100 has very good macro. Both the lx3/5 and most m43 lenses including the wider primes use heavy lens distortion correction so I don't think Sony rx100 is not that different. For me Nex-5n and screw/m-mount Voigtlander lenses are the norm if I don't want the heavy distortions on the corners of the lenses due to lens corrections....You can check the online reviews for rx100 with full size samples are available. Then you can decide depending on your needs/ IQ expectations.

I had a Full Frame kit with a Canon 5D and a couple of lenses.
Since it was not getting used I decides to trade it for a m43 kit.
I've built a pretty good m43 kit, but I'm finding I'm not using it also.
I just use it when I travel, and even for that, I think a compact would be enough.
I enjoy taking pictures and coming home and seeing them with my family, but I just don't find myself going over to lightroom and photoshop and editing the pictures and sorting them and all that...
I guess I'm going through a loss of interest in photography...
So I think I could buy a rx100 for those times I want a camera such as vacations, family and friend events and such, and just let go of my kit...

Cheers and thanks for the replies!

If you do get an RX100, I would suggest (if you can afford it) to get it first, before selling your m43 gear -- in case you feel you need to buy that gear back.

Alternatively, do you have one of the newer smart phones? See if that serves your need for shooting. If you can wait 6 months or so, the RX100 is likely to drop in price quite a bit.

Just some random thoughts.

I just acquired an RX100, I have an XPro 1 and a Nikon V1. I've found myself using the V1 and RX100 more than the XP1, the V1 I can pop on the 70-300 and get fabulous handheld moonshots,
Moon_13.jpg

the RX100 is just so pocketable and FAST, has the same size sensor as the V1 but twice the megapixels and the IQ is really phenomenal I simply use it more.

I am using the RX100 exclusively this weekend on a trip to Maryville, Tennessee, and am thoroughly enjoying it as a street camera. I spent time at a farmers' market this morning. Some of those pics are on my flickr thread. It is very quiet, and works well in my relatively big hands. While most of the time I am using it at 28mm, the zoom is nice to have at times. It produces files in the range of 114M. One would have to do some pixel-peeping to see the difference between these files and the m4/3 files. Not that close pixel examination is bad. It has a place, but my point is that the files are quite nice for most purposes, and more than adequate for the web and up to moderate print uses.

I am using the RX100 exclusively this weekend on a trip to Maryville, Tennessee, and am thoroughly enjoying it as a street camera. I spent time at a farmers' market this morning. Some of those pics are on my flickr thread. It is very quiet, and works well in my relatively big hands. While most of the time I am using it at 28mm, the zoom is nice to have at times. It produces files in the range of 114M. One would have to do some pixel-peeping to see the difference between these files and the m4/3 files. Not that close pixel examination is bad. It has a place, but my point is that the files are quite nice for most purposes, and more than adequate for the web and up to moderate print uses.
Dan, have you looked at the Franiec grip yet? I just ordered mine...really helps with largish hands.

I'd be interested in the grip too, but I'm not sure where to order it from. Can one of you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I have seen the grip but have not ordered one yet. I suppose it would help, though I feel pretty secure using the wrist strap so far. I will be interested in your comments you who get it and try it.

Back