Sony rx100v camera RAW ??? what the hell is going on !!!!!

mathew

Regular
think im loosing my mind ? lol

iv started shooting in RAW format on my rx 100 v after many many many years using jpeg ,, but iv noticed that you can still access the creative style menu and change the style ????? , its not dulled out like most the settings when you have selected RAW? i thought raw was raw and you couldnt change any colour setting at all ? for now iv left the creative style in neutral ,,,, iv taken some test shots in RAW and they seem alot more saturated than canon raw that id shot in the past ,,,how come it allows you to set the creative style when in raw mode ? any help would be fab and which creative style setting are you ment to leave it in for the best raw image possible ?? im confused lol ,,,,, any help would be fab ,,,, cheers

hi luke
cheers for that link , when i import my images into lightroom the style is applied to the image , is it still a raw image ? is there still data that can be pulled back out ? this is confusing stuff ,, why did sony do it like this ?

Lightroom is just displaying it using that creative style setting that you had set on your camera, but you can "turn it off" in Lightroom in the "camera calibration" tab in Lightroom as shown in that link.

It is kinda confusing, but you do have a true raw file that is merely data.

hi luke
cheers for that link , when i import my images into lightroom the style is applied to the image

I don't think that is true. Try taking several images of the same subject with different styles. If you import the RAW files into Lightroom, they should all look alike.

is it still a raw image ?

The link talks about processing the image in the camera and turning it into a JPEG. I don't recommend doing that.

this is confusing stuff ,, why did sony do it like this ?

Partly it's Adobe's fault. If you are shooting RAW and using Lightroom, changing the style in the camera settings does nothing. That's the bad news. The good news is that you can change the style any time you want, to any style you want, in Lightroom by changing the Camera Profile. Note that Lightroom's Camera Profiles are not identical to Sony's styles, so your choices are a bit different in Lightroom.

hi luke
firstly thank you for responding to my plee for help , i dont have the new lightroom cc , its an old version and when i go into the camera calibration it doesnt give me the options like on the link you sent me , think i need the newer cc version ,,,,,but i think iv found a work around but im no expert ,,, in the camera in the creative style menu iv choosen neutral and set the contrast / saturation to -3 , the lowest they will go ,, the image is a much more flatter image ,,,,,do you think this will be ok to shoot with ???

I don't think that is true. Try taking several images of the same subject with different styles. If you import the RAW files into Lightroom, they should all look alike.

The link talks about processing the image in the camera and turning it into a JPEG. I don't recommend doing that.

Partly it's Adobe's fault. If you are shooting RAW and using Lightroom, changing the style in the camera settings does nothing. That's the bad news. The good news is that you can change the style any time you want, to any style you want, in Lightroom by changing the Camera Profile. Note that Lightroom's Camera Profiles are not identical to Sony's styles, so your choices are a bit different in Lightroom.

hi bruce
i have an older version of lightroom and i dont get the option to change it back it lightroom,,, if you dont mind can you please have a read of my work around and tell me what you think ?? thank you Bruce

hi guys
quick update ,,,,,,,,,,,,,BRUCE YOUR THE MAN , THANK YOU ,,,,,,,,,,
iv just taken a series of photos in all the different creative styles other than the black and white ,, when viewed one the camera screen they all look totally different colours , when i bring them into lightroom they all look the same , no difference at all ,,,,, they all still look abit to saturadeted to be raw files to me but im comparing them to the raw images on my old 5D m2 ,,, what you guys think ???

Good work Mathew! Now find "Profile" in the Camera Calibration area and see if you can change the profile. You should see several choices, but not the same as the choices in the screen shot below.

Screen Shot.JPG

@Bruce McL Hey! Thank you for pointing that out. I tried it on mine and it appears it defaults to "Adobe Standard".
I don't see a "Camera Flat" profile but it does have the "Camera Neutral" option which I assume would be similar, right?

Camera Neutral is usually the most conservative in colors and tonality. It looks like you've got Camera Clear, Deep, and Light as well. I don't know what those do, none of my cameras have them! You can do some side by side testing with virtual copies of images to see what works for you.

You are making a good start with RAW. What comes next is making an import preset, so that your favorite settings are automatically applied to your RAW photos when they arrive in Lightroom. Have fun!

hi guys
my version of lightroom doesnt show any of them options , it only has "Adobe Standard" , its an old version of lightroom ,, im thinking is there an option in the pefferences i could change to stop it applying any correction on import ??? or should i just leave as is and do my editing as normal ,,, the image is still a RAW file so there still should be plenty of room for editing ,,,,, its not been backed in the original image like a jpeg as it ??????
sony do things backward i think ,, all the canon cameras iv owned and iv never seen this method ,, or is it maybe adobe ? or both ? crazy

Last edited:
A RAW file is just that. The RAW sensor information and all the shooting information from your camera and they are all proprietary (other than DNG). Adobe and other editing software developers license/have agreements to access most (all?) the format information. But its the SW developers' decision on how much of that information to use. For example Nikon SW applies all setting by default (or use to). So the fact that you see the impact of settings when viewing on camera isn't really surprising, the opposite holds true for LR.

But camera profiles in LR help. Again though it's up to the SW developer how much of that information they choose use.

hi davidzvi
thank you for your reply
i was just expecting a raw untouched image in lightroom , not a raw image with a sony profile added , as i said im use to canon which dont do this ,,,,, iv also noticed that the size of the DNG file is around 40 mb per image ? (i convert the raw arw sony file to dng in adobe dng converter because my lightroom doesn't recognise arw file ) is that normal ? i thought maybe 20 mb ?

Last edited:
All depends on the settings in the DNG converter. I mean there's an option to store the entire RAW file in the DNG.

As what LR does with the DNG? It might be that once in the DNG Adobe says "Oh this is a DNG so I know what to do with this data" where in a Sony RAW (or other camera RAW) it might be more like "I'm not sure EXACTLY what I'm suppose to do with this, so I'll ignore it".

hi guys
iv just done abit more research and found out that sony raw images are almost good enough to use straight off the mark without any editing (almost) ,, this explains why the raw images looked like they where already processed , iv put a link to the video below , its not all about sony cameras but around 2 mins in he talks about the sony raw images

Back