S African Township

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
Most of the Township housing that I have seen is like this, (but I have only been to 4 Townships and all in the Western Cape) - this is quite a "wealthy" area, (tourist and holiday area), with less unemployment than say Joberg or Cape Town

I am not trying to make any political statement - I just walked around a large local Township and took a few images - that's what they are, images - I am not wishing to start a debate

The ANC came into power in 1994 - obviously the past is the past which cannot be denied

It was quite a grey day when I took the shots

Township Tours seem to be advertised, with glowing reports on Trip Adviser, but I just wonder - I just drove up there with a South African friend - I found everyone very friendly

The best view in the area looking down on million $$ real estate and the Indian Ocean

House_12_2.jpg

House_12_4.jpg

New houses being built ............. in other townships brick houses of a similar size have been built and are being built - it varies from Township to Township - I was told that these wooden "sheds" are temporary, (I think that they are carried with the JCB to their new home!) - but I saw very few and there were no brick built houses built by the Government, (only a few built by individuals), on this Township which may have 20,000+ people, probably many more

House_20_2.jpg

general views
I asked a lady what the name of the Township was and ironically it had the word "white" in it's name - I asked where she thought the name came from, she said "after the white soldiers of the past" - I checked later and it turned out that originally the land was a Farm owned by a family whose name was White.

House_17_2.jpg

House_16_2.jpg

House_6_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hairdresser

Hair.jpg

Snack Bar and Restaurant - she was a very interesting Lady - Chicken and chips Rand 20 - (less than £1/US$1.50) - or a half portion for 50 pence/75 cents
(don't ask if I tried it) - although I did eat at another "Restaurant" - not sure what the meat was, I did not ask or recognise the bones

snack.jpg

convenience store

store.jpg

Community "centre" with a passion for old TV tubes

Community.jpg

not sure how to describe this one

church.jpg

saw this more than once .. does it mean anything?

shoes.jpg

as usual this is were the money is spend and made - a substantial brick building - one of the best around

pub.jpg

taking the "empties" back

beer.jpg

Last edited:
The Township had many ethnic sections - as there was very little mixing

The Rastafarian section was interesting - they had a barrier across the entrance and you had to ask "the man" to let you in - I asked why? - they said "to slow the police down" who raid them often for the usual stuff

Anyway the guys were quite peaceful

Their "section" was spotless and quite organised and the "boss" even spoke some French!! - but he was smoking something!!
raster_5.jpg

raster_4.jpg

raster_3.jpg

raster_2.jpg

raster_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hairdresser

Hair.jpg

Snack Bar and Restaurant - she was a very interesting Lady - Chicken and chips Rand 20 - (less than £1/US$1.50) - or a half portion for 50 pence/75 cents
(don't ask if I tried it) - although I did eat at another "Restaurant" - not sure what the meat was, I did not ask or recognise the bones

snack.jpg

convenience store

store.jpg

Community "centre" with a passion for old TV tubes

Community.jpg

not sure how to describe this one

church.jpg

saw this more than once .. does it mean anything?

shoes.jpg

as usual this is were the money is spend and made - a substantial brick building - one of the best around

pub.jpg

taking the "empties" back

beer.jpg

No. 6 - Wag the Dog ("Old Shoe")

Thanks all for your appreciation - just back after our usual winter break, this is the 4th year we have been for up to two months - have to wait until Jan 2017 to go back there - S Africa is a wonderful place for us Brits in Jan/Feb/Mar when the weather in Europe is miserable.

It is also a great country that we should all support and encourage ...... any trouble there similar to other African countries would be a disaster not only for Africa but for the world

Last edited:
fabulous place

view from our front terrace - Indian Ocean - strange how the horizon looks high from the top of a hill?

not a good image - but a great place!

view_2.jpg

Back