Fuji S model still relevant as a second hand buy?

erniethemilk

OK, a little history I currently shoot with X-Pro1 & X-T1 but have a real thing for an X100 which I've tried twice now and on both occasions seem to have been thwarted with.

I bought an S around 18 months ago and to be honest was mildly disappointed with it - I guess I was really expecting it to blow me away and in truth it didn't, I think this was more to do with expectation than actual ability of the camera. So that got sold and I bought the X-T1 instead.

Problem is I still have this damned X100 itch and recently bought an original X100 which turned out to be a bit of a lemon with the SAB issue so that went down the road fairly quickly to be honest.

I still have this damned itch and as much as I'd really love the T find it hard to justify the cost. I'm wondering if the S still holds up given the latest offerings from Fuji and the fact that it seems one step up from the original X100 and maybe 2 steps back from the T.

Sorry for the rambling message! :)

So.

I tried the X100 and just couldn't get on with it. About a year later I succumbed to an X100 and failed again. I finally scratched the itch last year and picked up an X100T and never looked back; it is an infinitely better camera than the X100 and significantly improved upon the X100S. Spec sheets tell you what the changes and improvements are, and I can only be subjective, but it is "polished" in it's handling and performance in a way it's predecessors were not.

My advice? Wait a but, save a bit more, and buy an X100T. Maybe wait until the inevitable 24mp version that I'm expecting in October - prices for the T will dip significantly then.

The X100S was certainly a significant improvement over its predecessor, but I'd say the S can do most of what one would want from the T, according to most reviews I've seen.

Back