Canon S95 - the dreaded ring

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
The dreaded ring "function changer" on the back of the camera caught me out today

I took a few shots with my S95 for comparison purposes and once I had loaded them into LR3, I thought that "they look a bit over exposed" - guess what I had done - I must have touched the "ring" (easy to do) and set the EV to + 1/3

and there's me blaming the camera!!!

I just never noticed the info on the LCD screen (I'll blame my eyes - they are not that good)

It was a criticism on the S90, (the ring being too loose), and it's caught me out on the S95

anyone else

Merry Christmas from"Charlie" -(caught him today in the Shopping Mall)

charlie.jpg

Cheers - a bit quiet today, (on the forum), and it got to 22 degrees in Bordeaux - and the sun even came out!!!

BillN,

I've had the same problem with the E-P1 from day one with the loose ring. Its not as bad as the S90 I played with.

Here in Dixie, we've been pretty cold for the time of year.

I got my S95 3 days ago - just marvelous - but still loose back ring, so shooting full manual and raw+jpeg. I'm delighted with this mode: ring for aperture, back ring for shutter speed, like a DSLR (well almost)!

Nope, I had an S90 and I kept reading about what a horror it was but I never had a problem with it. I usually had it set to aperture in Ap priority mode though, so if I did accidentally tweak it, it would just change the aperture and the camera would adjust the shutter speed accordingly. But I'm not even aware of having had that problem. I'd save exposure compensation for the lens ring in front - that's not something you're gonna turn accidentally.

-Ray

Can't say I have had any trouble, in fact Im loving the ring functions, front and back, my problem is learning what settings to use when taking a photo, changing Av values doesn't seem to make much difference on the S95, and I have no need of changing the shutter value as Im shooting stationary stuff at the moment

BB

Charlie - I reckon that he was shopping for his 13th granddaughter - that's why he has a "smile" on his face - anyway - I waited around with him, (I was sat down - waiting for my wife to finish shopping - you know, say she will meet me at ...such and such a time ..... but always add 30 mins to an hour - anyway I digress),

I waited around with "Charlie" - (that's not his real name I've changed it to protect the "innocent"), and then his wife arrived and I realised why he looks as he does

High ISO shot - cropped a little plus I have suddenly acquired a desire for 1 x 1 - don't know why - scale focusing, I think at 15 feet, (that's why there is a bit of OOF in the foreground) - cam sat on my lap so no-one would know I'm snapping .. Oh and I used the dust infested sensor - (still deciding on a cleaning kit and procedure)

Not a great image - but I hope my story makes up for it

Best wishes, get all your Christmas cards written or you'll miss the posting date

Bill,

First I think the photo works and the gentleman's facial expression says it all.

I haven't had an issue with the ring. Usually for me, it is completely "user error" when I think I am in a certain setting and then realize I had changed it for a particular shot and then never switched back.

Ken Rockwell's web site has a review and some of his practical advice on his web site...Canon S95

One section that caught my eye was...

Modes

I love the single "C" mode, which recalls everything about the camera when you programmed it. When the camera wakes back up, or as you return to the C mode from another, everything is reset back as you saved it.

The P mode recalls many things, including WB, WB trim, exposure compensation and flash mode.

Thus I set C for landscapes: no flash and A4 (more amber) Auto White Balance, and set the P mode for the flash to be forced-on for daylight fill and set the AWB to no trim, since the flash is often too warm if left on A4 AWB.

On top of this, I set the SCN mode to SUPER VIVID, and thus can select these three modes by spinning the dial.

It is also nice to be able to program the shortcut button to complement your personal shooting style.

There's nothing worse than a loose 'ring' is there!!!:rofl:

Seriously though i find that the one on the s95 is far better than the one on the s90. I have yet to have a problem with the s95's ring.

22!?! I read that and was hoping you meant 22 F.
Its a chilly -9 in ottawa today. Check-out the 'Condition' from this weather page. "Drifting Snow" even to me this is new one.

Thanks Environment Canada:

Ottawa (Kanata - Orléans), Ontario - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada
ottawa_current_conditions.png

It's getting back to normal and i think that it is forecast to be 8 deg celsius and sun all day tomorrow - I suppose that it is being near the Atlantic and Bay of Biscay that causes these changes to mild weather in "winter"

I have alot of respect for the Canadians, a few years back I was boarding in Ferni and it hit -40C. They were handing out bowls of hot water on the lifts, the idea was to stick your face over them, to stop your eyes freezing together in the wind up high on the ski lifts :eek:

Back