Fuji SAB

peterc

One of my favourite cameras is a step closer to becoming electronic junk.
My second X100 is showing symptoms of Sticky Aperture Blades (SAB). My first X100 started displaying symptoms during the warranty period and Fujifilm Canada fixed it quickly and for no charge. The second is out of warranty. I was told today that repair would be "at least $750."
I tried arguing that it was a known defect, but to no avail. Fujifilm USA told me they do the repair and charge one hour of labour if the camera is out of warranty, but mine is a Canadian serial number and doesn't qualify.
As $750 is more than the camera is worth at this point, I figure I'll be using it at f/2 exclusively for the rest of its life.

Well, Peter, first and foremost welcome. It's unfortunate that your first post should be a tale of woe. One thing confuses me though. Are you dealing with Fujifilm USA or Fujifilm Canada? It seems to me that the US distributor is unlikely to behave any differently if the camera is indeed Canadian stock, whereas Fujifilm Canada are more likely to be more sympathetic. I am unfamiliar with consumer law across the pond but here at least your contract is with the vendor not the distributor and you are entitled to a reasonable expectation of product longevity regardless of warranty. That said, I have not seen a recall notice for SAB and there is a difference between knowledge and acknowledgement, for limitation of liability reasons. I think if goodwilll is not forthcoming in this instance your options are unfortunately limited.

Thanks, Bill,
I'm in Canada and I contacted Fuji North America (it was the only email option on the Canadian page) and Fuji USA got in touch with me. After hearing the problem they said they couldn't help but told me what is done in the U.S. I phoned Fuji Canada and was told its policy is to charge the full cost of replacement of the lens/sensor unit.
Cheers,
Peter

Sorry to hear that, Peter. It was worth a thought. I've never got on with the original X100 or indeed the S, but I know many swear by them. I've recently acquired a T and am hoping that the third time's the charm. If your budget will stretch, perhaps ask if the distributor would offer you a discount against yours for a new one?

I've been a huge fan or the original X100. I bought two and have been using them regularly. That I managed to get 2 that developed SAB seems a little incredible as it was supposed to affect only about 2% of cameras.
I plan to use it at f/2 for as long as it remains semi-reliable.

there is a point in time, represented by a certain series of serial number i'm sure is readily obtainable via internet, that this problem stopped appearing.

Followup:
I spoke again with Fuji Canada and was told I was not given the correct price to fix the problem.
The camera is with Fuji for repair and I'm told the cost is $180 + tax.
Thanks to Greg Poole and Bradley Rajaram at Fujifilm Canada for sorting this out for me.

Back