Salvage --please post yours

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
I spent a couple of hours at the local salvage yard with the X100 and E-M5 and Summilux 25mm f1.4. I don't know what half of what I photographed was ever meant to do, but it was wonderful to see anyway. Please post your shots of salvage, wrecked cars, or anything scrapped.

DSCF2676-Edit-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A worker in the yard said this tank was in a movie they shot up near Santa Fe, but I cannot tell you what movie.

DSCF2416-Editfinal-L.jpg

DSCF2679-Edit-L.jpg

DSCF2704-Edit%20copy2-L.jpg

P3119768-Edit-L.jpg

Here are a few that I stumbled across.

8561995641_54320b9c70_b.jpg

P1050815-Edit.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

8551467686_8e5f1fc71a_b.jpg

P1050816.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr
These are from a junkyard next to a long-abandoned Victorian fort at Alderstead. (The fort was one of 13 built on the North Downs to defend London and is now very dilapidated.)

8550329885_de813f7e60_b.jpg

P1050961.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr
A sad Triumph GT6 in London's East End.

8551459848_3e59c71207_b.jpg

P1050597.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr
A London Routemaster and something more recent near Farthing Downs in Surrey.

I work in a steel mill that melts scrap to make new steel... and yet have very few photos of the scrap, lol! I had to go digging to find these. In the first shot, engine 104 was being cut up for scrap after years of hard use. When it comes to iron bearing metal, we waste NOTHING.

3972622283_734b7b79d2_z.jpg

Scrap Cars by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4672607144_920c36c09e_z.jpg

Nikon 50mm F1.4 AF Test (3 of 3): Scrapyard Railroad by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

An old film shot (not very good) of a scrap car. When they are finally broken down from the overloads and abuse, we scrap them and melt them also!

4305927623_0c0a7202c5_z.jpg

Industrial Neopan: Car S044 by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Some very nice stuff here. A friend reminded me it was the kind of stuff he loved exploring as a kid -- me too, and I still love exploring it. Finding a wreck in the middle of the woods is like nothing else. I've found a couple of remains of homesteads in the mountains -- nothing left, really, except a couple of concrete steps here, an ice box there. Quite moving in its way.

John: I disagree about the scrap car shot. I think it's nicely framed and tonally right on the money.

Lawrence, firstly nice topic. You know that salvage is both a verb and a noun, so lets make this a bit harder and find some representations of the verb. I do like the piles and agree 100% on John's scrape car shot. I was about to keyboard that I don't shoot junk, so haven't any images when I remembered this:

Light-Shaft-UE-L.jpg

Film, (not a digital compact). Part of an old feed lot in the process of being dismantled.

Gary

Well thanks fellows but I didn't get quite the shot I wanted, lol. But I'm glad it worked.

If we extend it to stuff that was EVENTUALLY scrapped, then some of my urbex stuff of torn down equipment (before it was torn down) comes into play -- but I thought that might be beyond the scope of the topic?

Well thanks fellows but I didn't get quite the shot I wanted, lol. But I'm glad it worked.

If we extend it to stuff that was EVENTUALLY scrapped, then some of my urbex stuff of torn down equipment (before it was torn down) comes into play -- but I thought that might be beyond the scope of the topic?

Ultimately, everything will decay. I think salvage refers to either the process of dismantling and/or the material left after that process (as opposed to demolition). But this is Lawrence's thread it's his call.

Gary

PS- I would mind an Urban Decay thread.
G

I guess I had in mind anything that was coming apart, decaying. I don't feel any proprietary rights over the thread. Wherever people take it will undoubtedly be interesting.

Nice shot, Gary. I love that pure white, diagonal shaft of light.

Well, if it can be taken with any camera and not just a compact, then I have these. I already posted a bunch taken with the LX7 in another thread and I won't repeat them here. I'm going to limit myself to just eight of my favorites ... I have a HUGE body of work in this genre and it could get ugly if I get carried away, lol...

3835215422_b7d3c11f49_z.jpg

Left Behind by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4895875731_b3f10259f4_z.jpg

There's No Pressure (new edit) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

3 this one on Fuji Velvia slide film
4280931516_ea4f843297_z.jpg

Velvia Slide Scans: Do Over... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

3942177767_37c3092e07_z.jpg

In Case of Eternity, Break Glass by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4667556207_a2827ae9eb_z.jpg

Fishing for Cast Iron Fish Underground by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

5356426738_11cb4db885_z.jpg

Leftovers: Rustsolvo Redeux by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4955159711_e4daa7cc03_z.jpg

The Persistence of Memory: Machinery of Desire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

7178275441_9a012c0018_z.jpg

Reboot: It's in the Pipeline by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Not sure if they are my "best" but they'll do, lol. I like them all for one reason or another.

Wonderful John, just wonderful. I especially like "In Case of Eternity, Break Glass" . The selective focus (but with nothing really too OUT of focus) give a three dimensional sense to it. Lovely.

THANKS!!!

My painting friends often say that's their favorite as it looks like a painting to them.

This is a good case of why sharpness can be overrated. It was very dark in that building, I had no tripod and was shooting a 50mm field of view lens at f/1.8 totally unstabilized. This was the best shot I got but it's not *really* sharp for that camera/lens combination.

But it works. Hence: sharpness can be overrated. Would it have been better sharper? Maybe. But that's not what I got, lol.

The colors of the metal in "Fishing for Cast Iron...."are wonderful.

The other looks sharp in the middle, or sharp enough that it draws your eye. It works well.

THANKS!!!

My painting friends often say that's their favorite as it looks like a painting to them.

This is a good case of why sharpness can be overrated. It was very dark in that building, I had no tripod and was shooting a 50mm field of view lens at f/1.8 totally unstabilized. This was the best shot I got but it's not *really* sharp for that camera/lens combination.

But it works. Hence: sharpness can be overrated. Would it have been better sharper? Maybe. But that's not what I got, lol.

Back