Fuji Sample photos with X20 is available on flickr

Here's another set from a guy over on DPR who's been shooting with one in Tokyo for a few days. I don't think anything much above ISO400. His initial opinion is that its basically a match for the X10 in terms of IQ except for resolution where the X-Trans will beat the EXR sensor. But in terms of DR and low light, no improvement. He indicated he was sticking with the X10. He thought the OVF improvements were nice, but didn't think the focus-speed improvements were all that significant. Faster than the X10, but not enough to matter. Will be interesting to see how its received when they start hitting the street in more places...

X20

I'm gonna check one out, but I'd have to be a lot more impressed than the initial impressions seem to suggest to replace my LX7 with it...

-Ray

Wow,

Nice set of images that show what the X20 can deliver with that new Xtrans sensor - all that in a small body as well - great.

I am now being very, very good and have all parts crossed that I am lucky enough to win the X20;)

I think that's the nicest set of pictures I've seen so far from the X20. Some of the street scenes have sharpness and 'pop' to them which seemed to be missing from the official Fujifilm samples I saw. Nice rich colours too, with none of the milky appearance I saw in many of the official samples.

-R

I think that's the nicest set of pictures I've seen so far from the X20. Some of the street scenes have sharpness and 'pop' to them which seemed to be missing from the official Fujifilm samples I saw. Nice rich colours too, with none of the milky appearance I saw in many of the official samples.

-R
+1 to that. I am now officially pleased to have my X20 on order. It was ordered on trust, and the official samples made me question that trust, but some of these shots now on Flickr would persuade me anyway. The sharpness is really excellent.

Here's another set from a guy over on DPR who's been shooting with one in Tokyo for a few days. I don't think anything much above ISO400. His initial opinion is that its basically a match for the X10 in terms of IQ except for resolution where the X-Trans will beat the EXR sensor. But in terms of DR and low light, no improvement. He indicated he was sticking with the X10. He thought the OVF improvements were nice, but didn't think the focus-speed improvements were all that significant. Faster than the X10, but not enough to matter. Will be interesting to see how its received when they start hitting the street in more places...

X20

I'm gonna check one out, but I'd have to be a lot more impressed than the initial impressions seem to suggest to replace my LX7 with it...

-Ray

Hmmm, I saw some significant differences over the LX7. Personally, I do like the Lx7 quite a bit, got one for my GF when they went on sale for $299 in the US however I do like the tactile layout of the X-series much better...the aperture ring on the LX7 is cool but can be confusing for newbies given the variable zoom lens and I also find the mechanical zoom ring and VF far more useful.

As for this set of photos, I'm guessing the photographer used the pro-focus mode for this picture...@ f5 the blur seems a bit unusual...

DSCF1073

Hmmm, I saw some significant differences over the LX7. Personally, I do like the Lx7 quite a bit, got one for my GF when they went on sale for $299 in the US however I do like the tactile layout of the X-series much better...the aperture ring on the LX7 is cool but can be confusing for newbies given the variable zoom lens and I also find the mechanical zoom ring and VF far more useful.

As for this set of photos, I'm guessing the photographer used the pro-focus mode for this picture...@ f5 the blur seems a bit unusual...

DSCF1073
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't suggesting that the LX7 sensor can compare with the X10 or X20, let alone the RX100. But since I have other cameras that will do the heavy lifting in low light, I'm not necessarily asking that of my compact. And I personally find the LX7 the most enjoyable compact to shoot with, having tried a bunch. The X10 (and no doubt X20) is a relatively close second, along with the XZ2, but I love the multi-aspect sensor, the step zoom, the excellent zone focus tools, the aperture ring, the separate manual focus controller on the back, etc, on the LX7. For me to move on from the LX7, its likely going to take something with an RX100 level sensor in a camera I enjoy as much as the LX7 or at least the X10/X20 and with those features, fast lens, etc. While the X20 looks like a nice upgrade in some areas from the X10, its gonna take something like a quantum leap in the compact market to get me to move from the LX7. So if the X20 had included a 1" sensor the quality of the RX100 with a similarly fast lens (to the X20, not the RX100), and been a bit closer to the size of the X100 to accommodate all of this, I'd likely have been there because that camera could take over as my daily shooter for 80-90% of what I do. Until we get there, though, the role of any compact in my bag is gonna be limited, and the LX7 is my favorite of this limited generation of compacts...

Strictly personal preference, not claiming its a more capable camera...

-Ray

X20

-Ray

Thanks for the link Ray. Here's the link to a photo he took at ISO 3200. DSCF1158 To my eyes, not much improvement over the EXR on X10. However, this was a full 12 mp file as opposed to using 6 mp files with the X10. If I recall correctly, the upper range of ISO that I would care to venture into with the X10 was about 1600, maybe a bit more. And that's using the EXR at 6 mp. Using the multi shot pro-low light, 3200 was acceptable in the X10.

X20

-Ray

This set is amazing and inspiring,may be the successful street shots with x20!As a such small sensor camera we should overlook those high ISO noisy shots considering novel colors and incredible sharpness. Cheers guys!

Back