Samsung Samsung LWCEX01 .The importance of a dedicated wide converter lens

Richkaz

Regular
I bought the Samsung EX1 for its lens speed and wide angle of view ( have no interest in telephoto lenses ). I have been waiting for
availability and a price drop of the difficult to obtain ( in the UK ) Samsung X 0.7 LWCEX01 super wide attachment.
The recommended price of this lens was £ 171.00 but is now available from Italy via Amazon UK for just under £ 100.00.
This lens will apparently also fit the latest EX2f so prices are likely to rise. I was previously using a wide angle conversion device
called a Raynox HD 6600 pro which is very slightly wider - see if you can spot the difference.
The 24mm setting on the EX1 offers an angle of view of approximately 74 degrees.
The Samsung converter offers 18mm and approx. 90 degree view with no loss of light.Strangely the lens is not threaded at the glass end so attachment filters cannot be used.
Shooting into the sun is bad news.
This is a big lens featuring 3 elements in 3 groups that weighs the same as the camera at a whopping 381 gms but gives the camera a well balanced 'mini SLR' feel.
Not compact at all :)

View attachment 61218

View attachment 61219

The lens screws directly onto the camera. You can shoot immediately with it in place, and it will produce even wider images ( looks more like 17 mm )
but the 'in camera' lens correction device will not operate and lens distortion is more obvious.
If 'Lens convertor on' is selected in the menu , a more realistic 18mm super wide image is produced.
Here are some recent images using the lens.
All images are hand held in natural daylight with the lens wide open at f1.8. Auto white balance and matrix metering.

The stormy weather brought down a big branch during the week offering a chance to test the lens.

WITH THE STANDARD 24MM SETTING

View attachment 61220

WITH THE CONVERTER LENS TICKED IN THE MENU

View attachment 61221

WITH CONVERTER STRAIGHT ON CAMERA ( not ticked in the menu )

View attachment 61222

Too cold outside so tried again indoors to compare to the Raynox.

Again hand held with lens at f1.8 ( not a recipe for super sharp images )

WITH THE STANDARD 24MM SETTING

24mmraw_0060tif.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WITH SAMSUNG CONVERTER

View attachment 61224

WITH RAYNOX CONVERTER

View attachment 61225

Crop of clock on mantle piece.RAYNOX

View attachment 61226

Crop of clock with SAMSUNG

View attachment 61227

I have found 2 new uses for the Raynox.

1. Excellent paperweight
2. Best used as a ' blunt instrument' ( forensic police speak )

Richard

Back