Samsung Samsung NX 85mm ƒ/1.4 lens review

Phew, probably a good thing that I don't have access to any similarly good deals on NX20s over here! Should be one heck of a combination with the 85mm, and the more I use the 30mm pancake it is hard not to think of it as one of the best lenses yet produced for any mirroless camera considering price, performance, character and size.

Well, got the 85mm today. Let's just say learning the new system and playing with razor-thin DoF has not won me any composition awards. I have a Sigma (Oly) 75mm coming tomorrow and it will be interesting to compare the two. I know what the 75mm can do, and it's very easy to use with the current m43 body I have (a G5).

Damn, 85/1.4 is HUGE!

I have a few questions for all Samsung Users who have Nikon 1 experience:

How would you rate the new hybrid AF implementation in the NX300 compared with the AF in V1/V2? I've read some very alarming user reports over at DPReview. Since I think that the NX systems offers some pretty nice cameras (the 20MP sensor seems to be very good) and lenses (photos taken with the 85/1.4 look bokehlicious), I'm considering adding a NX300 to my bag. But I wouldn't want to downgrade too much in the AF and operating speed department. One additional thing that annoys me is lack of an EVF. Is there an add-on EVF for the NX300? And lastly, from a handling perspective, would a 85/1.4 make sense on a NX300?

Thanks in advance!

Imaging resource has a good review of the NX300 which may help with some of your questions regarding performance.

Samsung NX300 Review - Performance

The biggest issue that Samsung seem to have with their 20mp sensor is write times which appear to have been improved with the NX300 but still aren't great. My NX200 is likely to be the worst in this regard but all is forgiven when I'm working with the raw files.

The NX300 look like it has virtually identical ergonomics to the NX210 and NX200 before it. My definition of a well balanced camera and lens is one that I could operate one-handed if need be with it still feeling stable and I'd think that I'd struggle to do that with the NX300 and 85/1.4 combination.

No add-on EVF for the NX300

Well, that's too bad. I prefer using an EVF in broad daylight. Thanks for the Link! I'll be checking it out as soon as I have time, to find out more about Samsung's hybrid AF. I'm guessing none of the DSLR-styled models have hybrid AF yet?

I have the 85mm/1.8 an I love it!!!, and mi extense experience is with the nx 1000 and a SD card Sony 64Gb 90Mb/s. I have to prepare the photos to post it. I have the opportunity to take a 450€ bargain!!!

I found in Amazon.es

eodl.jpg

The shopper's page in www.amazon.es marketplace:

bbnv.jpg

I buy mine at 450€ in redcoon.es

Back