Samsung Samsung NX Mini Announced

The buttons on the NX Mini are the same as on the NX300 (and when I say the same I mean exactly the same). For me the crucial omissions are that it is missing a control dial and a direct shortcut button for exposure compensation, but it's unlikely that I am in the target demographic so no harm, no foul.

Thanks for the insight - so, no way of assigning exposure compensation to any of the buttons available, eh? Well, that's pretty damning in itself. As for the missing command dial, yes, that's a nuisance, but for quick framing and using conscious metering (spot) in P mode, I think I could work around that most of the time. I do that with the PM1 pretty often when shooting single-handed - I can't reach the command dial safely when doing this anyway.

The reason why I keep insisting on finding out more about this camera and its uses is *size* - I want something smaller than GR to take with me *all* the time (but not just anything - see below). Come summer, my standard carrying capacity will be reduced to trouser pockets at least occasionally ...

Even though it might sound a bit obsessive, I'm still on the lookout for a Minox replacement: surprising IQ for its size; really good (or at least clearly above average) wide-angle prime(!); quick, if possible immediate operation; minute body - trouser pocketable, including the lens. And it's not going to be the RX100 - I tried that, it doesn't work my way (though at the price they're offering it here in Switzerland, it's become a really good deal). In the case at hand, at least the body size and the sensor say it actually might happen ... it all depends on the size and quality of the announced 17mm, really. The rest could be worked around somehow - as far as I can see jnow. But I sure don't fit the desciption of the target audience - I'm everything else but that. But I can't help being truely interested in knowing what the camera can do and if it's actually usable. If that's too embarassing or irritating for this here crowd, I'll shut up about it ;)

Just as an aside: Whoever told the ones promoting that camera that a 24mm might be "ideal" for portraits? I'll just dismiss all the marketing BS from now on, it's simply too ridiculous.

M.

Yeah, I like winking selfies about as much as the simpering selfies. See example below:

resize

Oh look, a two for one!

ashley-benson-amanda-bynes-900-600.jpg

This is about as sexy as a well... [self-censored]. I have never understood this. it is NOT a good look, and frankly, no matter what anyone THINKS, it always comes off looking like the above. Ridiculous. Friends don't let friends do simpering selfies (includes the winkers).

Samsung is now "down one" in my estimation. I understand why they are doing this. They stand a decent chance of making some money, alhough frankly I think they are just trying to revive a dying patient... again. I do not begrudge them that. But I sure as heck am not going to buy one of these, especially given the mass appeal they are catering to.

Arty woof! the Smarty

Samsung is now "down one" in my estimation. I understand why they are doing this. They stand a decent chance of making some money, alhough frankly I think they are just trying to revive a dying patient... again. I do not begrudge them that. But I sure as heck am not going to buy one of these, especially given the mass appeal they are catering to.
Agreed. A shame really because I'm a big fan of some of their other gadgets - in my life I'm quite happy with their S-series mobile phones and their TVs. But they never quite cracked the camera nut did they? Maybe they'd be better off severing that arm of the company and focussing on what they do best.

This is about as sexy as a well... [self-censored]. I have never understood this. it is NOT a good look, and frankly, no matter what anyone THINKS, it always comes off looking like the above. Ridiculous. Friends don't let friends do simpering selfies (includes the winkers)
I hear ya Smarty Woof! Most social phenomenon have a basis in a more fundamental (e.g., biological) imperative, but the result of these "simpering selfies" - with or without wink - has me completely baffled. You're right it's not a flattering look. I don't know, is it supposed to evoke that moment before a kiss maybe? If so, as the recipient, I'd certainly be keeping both eyes closed through these closing moments before impact ;)
Then again, I admit to a generous degree of thickness as I equally couldn't understand 'planking'.:blush:

Thanks for the insight - so, no way of assigning exposure compensation to any of the buttons available, eh? Well, that's pretty damning in itself. As for the missing command dial, yes, that's a nuisance, but for quick framing and using conscious metering (spot) in P mode, I think I could work around that most of the time. I do that with the PM1 pretty often when shooting single-handed - I can't reach the command dial safely when doing this anyway.

I don't know, sorry, and I guess it's still far too early to get any hands-on reviews that might reveal the intricacies of the control interface. What I do know from looking at it is that it has less hard controls than I would be comfortable with but that is simply because it has been designed as a super small and low cost camera. The mini should however have a comprehensive touchscreen interface.

Yeah, I like winking selfies about as much as the simpering selfies. See example below:

resize

Oh look, a two for one!

ashley-benson-amanda-bynes-900-600.jpg

This is about as sexy as a well... [self-censored]. I have never understood this. it is NOT a good look, and frankly, no matter what anyone THINKS, it always comes off looking like the above. Ridiculous. Friends don't let friends do simpering selfies (includes the winkers).

Arty woof! the Smarty

There are practical uses for a "wink shutter" outside of the infamous pouting selfie.

I wish that the wink shutter in the Canon G1X was accessible as an AF mode rather than a scene mode because on that camera the scene modes restrict raw shooting. There have been occasions when I've wanted to take a self image and it would be easier to simply have to support the camera rather than holding it in a way that allows you to press the shutter button, and also avoid the possibility of camera shake induced by pressing the shutter in such an awkward position.

11755582946_ee706ff508_b.jpg

CG1X-IMG_2625-PR Canon Powershot G1X Altiplano Bolivia by Nic (Luckypenguin), on Flickr

There are practical uses for a "wink shutter" outside of the infamous pouting selfie.

I wish that the wink shutter in the Canon G1X was accessible as an AF mode rather than a scene mode because on that camera the scene modes restrict raw shooting. There have been occasions when I've wanted to take a self image and it would be easier to simply have to support the camera rather than holding it in a way that allows you to press the shutter button, and also avoid the possibility of camera shake induced by pressing the shutter in such an awkward position.

11755582946_ee706ff508_b.jpg

CG1X-IMG_2625-PR Canon Powershot G1X Altiplano Bolivia by Nic (Luckypenguin), on Flickr

Hey Nic, would self-timer have helped in this situation?

….btw - that is so crisp - esp. the blues. Mate Canon's gotta put you on their books, coz this makes me want an original G1X….badly!

Thanks, Mark. Has that G15 arrived yet? It sounds like you need to get a new camera in your hands pronto to avoid wandering eyes! :)

Using the self-timer is certainly an option, but when you have a camera where the choice is between 2sec and 10sec it feels like either not enough to transfer your grip on the camera to something more stable (2sec) or too much time (10sec) and the spontaneity is gone. As silly as it sounds when you first hear about it, using a wink shutter combined with face-detect AF means you could hold the camera comfortably to begin with, give a wink and 2 seconds later the shutter goes off.

Yeah mate the G15's been here a week. Damn nice in hand and the files aren't too shabby. Folks say small sensor stuff maxes out at ISO400 - certainly not true to my eye so far! But I got to say I really like the controls - seems the G-series has had time to evolve tactilely! So even at this early stage the G15's got me on the brink and you're sending a strong wind to topple me towards bagging its bigger brother - not helped by the fact they can be had new from a local source for AUD488 delivered.
But we digress a little from the Samsung :blush:

Just to prove my point, quick and (very) dirty:

Me, reading your post, shot at (almost) arm's length; this actually needed a second take:
pop1new.jpg

Point blank range (about 7''!):
pop2.jpg

Portraits? I don't know. Grumpy old man selfies, possibly :tongue: A little more seriously, I think 24mm is good for street and people, but not portraits, self or otherwise, especially faces filling the frame. Or maybe we're onto a new genre here: Get the (hideous) portraits you deserve! Ironic as it may seem, we've already seen worse in this thread ...

Using the PM1 with the Panasonic 12-32mm at 12mm. Don't take the picture quality as an indication as to what that combo can do - this little zoom is nearly as crisp and sharp as the Olympus 12mm!

EDIT: Should have made my idea clearer: Most people think that selfies have to be about them, and thus squeeze in as much of themselves as possible, from stupid angles - Nic and Steve have very good points there, of course, but I think that's not the line of thought the usual web selfie follows ...

M.

Back