Samsung NX200 Kit Lens

christilou

Legend
LR3.6 and Camera Bag

SAM_0022-2.jpg

Seems to me that you don't need much encouragement :D I'm trying to hate everything about the X-pro 1 at the moment (gnashing of teeth....... !)

LOL!

As for hating the XP1, no need to hate it. Just embrace it. Love it. I think you probably have more systems than anyone else! So what's one more!!

BTW, did you get the 30mm pancake with your NX200? Would love to see photos from it, particular people photo. Thanks!!

I got my NX200 yesterday with the kit lens and the 20mm. Will post some shots soon. This camera by far, IMHO, has the best user interface of any camera I have used, including the GXR that up to now was my favorite UI. Do you think so Christilou?

Strong words there Dan!! The GXR was pretty good for me, if not THE best one. Well, the Pentax K5 is actually REALLY good too. Ok, I stand corrected. The K5, in my humble opinion, had THE best UI. There was a direct control for everything. And they were all well placed.

All right, the two of you, let's see lots more photos please!!!

NX200 20mm lens on a grocery run

Armanius, I don't think I am exaggerating about how good the UI is on this camera. I won't challenge how good the K5 is, but among compacts this is the best I have used.

NX00099.jpg

ISO 400, f4

The UI is not customizable like the GXR, but I have yet to find anything I would change. There are many things that can be set a certain way of course like sounds, for example. The UI on the screen changes to fit whatever one has set on the top dial. So if the dial is set for Aperture priority (my usual setting) the screen shows just the things one would want in association with that.

Interesting you should ask that. I am using a HDSC card that is rated to write at 45MB/s. There are faster cards available. I am shooting so far in RAW with jpeg. So far I have not been slowed down by write times. These files are large. When I open a RAW file in Photoshop it is 114 MB. The largest out of camera files I have seen. When I scan older slides I get files that large, but never out of camera before this. I have not been stopped from continuing to photograph by write times, even when I notice the little green light telling me that it is writing. I cannot imagine when this would be a problem in my photo experience, unless I were photographing a high speed athletic event that requires a lot of high speed bursts. But if I were doing that I would be using an SLR. They say you cannot change settings while it is writing. That is a none issue in my experience. I am more concerned that I can keep photographing while it is writing. That aspect has been fine with me.

Edits

I finally found out how to make the single focus point smaller! I only have the 20-50 kit lens so far and it's missed focus a number of times when trying to capture smallish objects. It definitely needs better glass than the kit lens although I've been playing in LR and Topaz and it's brought out quite a lot of detail. Not sure weather to invest in any more glass as it's not that cheap here in the UK (the bane of our lives over this side :( ) I've been spoiled with my Pentax lenses I think and I'm rediscovering the K5 (thinking about the boxy Pentax K-01 as an alternative walk about) hence my indecision>

SAM_0007-3-Edit-Topaz.jpg

SAM_0044-2-1.jpg

SAM_0046.jpg

UI is very, very slick in my opinion although not too many choices!

Shoes and dog pic show impressive detail and resolution. I really liked the NX200 with the 30mm f2.0, a gem of a lens with nice bokeh and a very useful 45mm equiv. focal length.

Built-in EVF in the iteration, and maybe Samsung has itself a winner! But I hope Samsung will release a couple more fast pancake and/or small lenses. I wish the 20mm was at least a f1.8 instead of f2.8. So perhaps a 24/1.8 pancake is in order! Heck, might as well make it f1.4. :)

True. On the other hand, Pany's 25/1.4 is relatively smaller, although for a smaller sensor. I'd be happy with something smaller than the Zeiss. The Zeiss actually balances out with the NEX7 extremely well. It's built very well, but still fairly light. So it's still a piece of cake to shoot one handed with the 7 + Zeiss.

I agree that the Zeiss 24mm isn't that big for its focal length + aperture. When compared to a Nikon or Canon 24mm 1.4 (which are FF lenses, and admittedly 1/2 stop faster) it's like night and day. Which is why I'm pessimistic, as I think it's already close to the limit of compactness for an APS-C lens like this one. But Samsung has shown they have the engineering knowledge to build very small aps-c lenses, so it's possible that they'll find a way to create a small 24mm 1.8 or 1.4 without sacrificing too much in IQ.

Back