Samsung Samsung NX200 quick review

Oh, wrt the large SRW files, someone on the other forum proved that there was no correlation between the sizes and "more information to pp", as some people keep saying over there. They cracked the files and found out that part of the size is due to the camera also saving an embedded jpeg inside of the SRW file, so there is jpeg conversion going on at the same time, contributing to slow performance.

That is my thought. However, people on that other forum are insisting that the jpeg in there is something abnormal in its size and the explanation.

There is also another user that is insistent that the file size means more info for pp, a dubious point that is being warped into recommendations between different brands in this class.

Regardless, 50megs per RAW is crippling, not only on the camera side of things.

There is also another user that is insistent that the file size means more info for pp, a dubious point that is being warped into recommendations between different brands in this class.

By the way, I have discovered that at ISO 6400 and up Samsung NX200 has some noise reduction in RAW.

I actually have many..... I just wonder why they did that. Perhaps there's sharpening and other things going on to make the low light files appear more acceptable. Some cameras make a jpeg only file that high up. At least these stay as raw.
Thanks for your observations.

Thanks for a terrific review, Pavel! I too feel that Samsung NX is overlooked, somewhat unfairly. Same for their excellent EX1/TL500.

Thanks for your impressions. The NX system has nearly matured to the point where it can contend with the m4/3 lineup. I also noticed a 55mm f1.8 pancake and 12-24mm f4 ultra-wide are rumored to be on the way.

The DPReview studio shots from the NX200 look VERY impressive. Too bad about the 50MB RAWs, that's just silly. Still, I'm giving this system a second thought. I've been looking for an upgrade to my GF1, but Panasonic's G3 sensor seems kind of noisy at low-ISO to me.

ggibson, I share your opinion about the NX system. I also like their lens prices, especially compared to the offerings from Panasonic. If the future NX20 can address poor video quality, it may be my next camera.

I did notice the NX20 has 720p at 60fps. Does anyone know if this is actual 60fps or just doubled 30fps? I always thought it was a pretty neat feature of the GH cameras to shoot slow-motion.

Great, thank you! I agree that the detail does not even match up to the E-P3's. Looks like there is strong compression being used. It's not a dealbreaker for me though. The colors look pretty nice in the NX's video, and the slow-motion feature would fun to try.

stratokaster,

Thanks for the review. How slow is the focusing? When I got the E-PL2 with the new mkII lens, it was a world of difference compared to the mk I kit lens. Is it as slow as an e-p1 with the mk I lens?

Thanks. Didn't see the video the first time around ;). Just looking at it, it appears about as fast as my E-PL2 and MK II lens. Not as slow as my E-P1 and mk I kit lens. However, the rotating front element becomes a chore when using filters. What do you think about the dynamic range compared to NEX or mFT?

Back