Samsung Samsung NX200 vs. m4/3rd

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
Has anyone chosen the Samsung NX200 as a jacket pocketable option due to the APS sensor and its selection of pancake lenses? It looks like an option worth considering given the Samsung lens choices that NEX is not offering.It might even be a suitable replacement for m4/3rd. I love my NEX 5N but continue to be disappointed at the Sony lens selection. Why does the Samsung seem to be so overlooked. While hype about other new cameras is common, I see little attention given to Samsung. What gives? Snapsort says they do not have enough information about the Samsung to properly compare it to the NEX, but they do note that the Samsung has an edge in more lenses available. I would love to hear what knowledgeable users have to say.

I think your title should be "against other compact systems" rather than "m4/3rd" only.

I'm not a knowledgable person on the subject, but I once researched their cameras and have some hypotheses:

- They are the only non-japanese manufacturer, and probably don't have the same "connections" or history in the photographic industry.
- Their first generation cameras seemed to feature a subpar sensor (at least compared to Sony) and "unusual" controls / handling (I saw a DigitalRev video that really bashed the NX100 controls and handling at the time)
- They seem to release their "serious cameras" in the same way as their P&S (not much targeted marketing toward enthusiasts, more like "let's fill the shelves and see what happens").

NX200 seems like a good camera, but right now it's difficult to know where they are going. For instance, I'm pretty sure there is no EVF available for the NX200, and possibly never will be, although there was one that could be used with the NX100. Also, though their "small DSLR" NX10 was their first mirrorless, there still is no NX20 with the new sensor (they seem to have done it backward with their second generation) though there has been rumors for many months now. That, among other things, give the impression that they don't really know what they're doing, and it doesn't make me want to invest with them.

So I'm not bashing Samsung products here, I actually think they have good stuff but I think they are mostly to blame in not giving people a better idea of what they want to do with the NX system.

Good reflections, Julien. I suppose I placed Samsung in reference to m4/3rd because of the pancake lens and pocketability issues, but you are right in suggesting that on other issues it should be compared to some other systems.

I'm probably not the best point of reference for your inquiry Dan given that I just like all gear! But I thought of the same thing as well. Almost pulled the trigger on a NX200 plus the 30mm pancake. But I keep reading about the horribly slow write up times when using RAW. And it sounds like, if you use anything beyond ISO800, you want to use RAW. Otherwise, the in camera JPG engine applies way too much noise reduction.

Also, while the Samsung has three pancakes, the fastest is the 30/2. Other two pancakes are 16/2.4 and 20/2.8. m4/3 has the 20/1.7, 17/2.8, and 14/2.4. So from a pancake standpoint, it's all even between the Samsung and m4/3. Of course Sony is behind with the NEX lenses as there's only one pancake. Not too many review about the performance of the Samsung lenses other than the 30/2.

I agree with Julien too about the direction of Samsung. Maybe there's a clear plan somewhere, but Samsung hasn't done a very good job of sharing that with customers. I read somewhere that there might be a new Samsung announced soon. Hopefully, it'll have an EVF or an EVF option. It was weird that the NX200, which is the best of the 3 Samsung cameras, doesn't take an EVF, but the NX100 did. Just weird and odd.

I had a NX200 with the 18-55mm and 30mm pancake for about 2 weeks or so, before returning it. The only reason I returned it was a decision to focus on photography rather than gear lust and to slim down my collection of toys. So a number of excellent cameras had to go.
In a nutshell: I did not even unpack the zoom, the 30mm stayed on the camera. If file quality, as a result of sensor, imaging processor and lens as well as compact and small size are the main criteria, this is the system to get. With 16mm, 30mm and I believe a soon to be launched 55mm pancake a very interesting and powerful jacket pocket size system. Nice grip, good external controls and straight forward menu make it easy and enjoyable to use. AF is reasonably fast, not at the level of the new generation mft, but not getting into the shooters way. MF implementation fine and usable. Raw file write time nothing for machine gunners, but for normal shooting absolutely fine. I considered it in lieu of a point and shoot (don't like small sensor performance any longer) and alternative to similar sized Leica's X1, Sigma's DP2 as a power jacket pocket/belt pouch solution. And as such, I believe it has no competition. As a complete system, I'd choose mft, however, especially with the new OM-D. There was a lot of chatter at DPReview as there seemed to be a comment in the NEX7 review mentioning that the NX200 out resolves the Sony.

Retow is re-kindling my lust to try out the NX200 ...

To my knowledge, the only jacket pocket size aps-c solutions are NX200, X1, DP1/2. Leica-philes may forgive me, but in 2012 I'd choose the Korean make over the German one, it beats it in many respects (I had an X1 for 18 months, great IQ, but....). Since I'm a sucker for AA filter free sensors I settled for the DP2x (at least for now) for my pocket solution. The NX200 would certainly be much more versatile than the Sigma. M9, GXR-M, DP2x, all without AA filter, is my gear these days. As you see, I'm no stranger to cameras which require some tolerance from the user, quirks, warts and some shortcomings, it's all there, but I love the output.

Don't forget the X100 Retow! I'm actually trying to re-focuse on the M9 as my weapon of choice. All preorders have been canceled (gulp) and I've been playing with some Zeiss lenses (which make all them Fuji lenses for the XP1 seem quite inexpensive).

I sure would like to try the NX200 in a shootout with the NEX 7 and/or the NEX5N. I am fond of the NEX5N, but still waiting for the 7 (on back order from B&H). But the pancake lenses appeal to me for a carry-all-the-time camera. Retow's comments make the NX200 look appealing. B&H has a good price on them right now, but only seem to offer it with the zoom lens at a discount.

Back