Fuji Samyang 35mm 1.2

Tell you what, when I was younger and in practice I might have stood a chance of manually focussing that thing with a decent hit rate. In fact I did - I had a Canon 50mm F1.2 on my Leica M7 and M2. Today, though, I think I would struggle to do it justice. Nice though...

If you don't use it, you lose it... I used to be deadly accurate at estimating distance, setting focus by feel (on a tabbed lens) and getting off a shot before fine tuning (if needed) by eye. I would struggle and faff today.

I'm losing my close range vision. I still do ok manual focusing with glasses. But not enough to trust it on an important shoot. Fortunately for us, Fuji is going to give us something even better with AF if the rumors are to be believed.

I still surprise myself with how steady a hand I have while out shooting. But manual focus can be dicey.

My eyeglasses are progressive in nature, so they can be an issue when looking through a viewfinder. Sometimes, if I adjust the diopter on the camera, I can take the glasses off and I'll be okay. But, like Bobby, I wouldn't trust myself on a critical shoot.

The eyeglass issue is one reason why I - gasp! - use the rear LCD on some cameras.

I used the rear LCD when I was shooting with X-T10s. That camera with primes was super light weight and easy to stabilize one handed.

If I trusted my eyes more I would jump on this 35mm 1.2. I shot weddings with Canon 5D2s and Samyang/Rokinon 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. Loved the results from those lenses.

If I didn't already own and love the 35 f1.4, this would be a stellar option. Given that the XF lens is similar in price, though, it's tough to recommend it. And that's coming from a rokinon fanboy.

I just got asked, for maybe the third or fourth time, "what lens should I get for my (Fuji X cam) after this kit zoom?" Top of the list was the 35 f1.4. Second was the forthcoming 23 f2 travel lens.

Although this has never been a great focal length for me, 50mm effective, the 35mm is always the first prime I recommend. Both of the Fuji 35mm's are amazing. But when the 23mm ft hits the market my recommendation could change.

They are trying to do as Cosina did with Vöigtlander. They have never produced an AF lens but have enjoyed success by producing lenses in focal lengths and apertures that others didn't.

Back