Fuji Samyang et al 12mm F2

ImageNation

Rookie
Name
Rob
I know this is a bit early but.......

Whilst I save for either the Fuji 14mm F2.8 I am thinking of aquiring a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower etc etc 12mm F2, but with one exception have not seen any shots with it or heard anyone talk about it. I realize that you get what you pay for, but with the notable exception of the shaman 14mm, I have found that I can correct most of the deficiencies (to my liking at least) post processing in Lightroom.

So does anyone yet own one? and have any comments.......

A recent tax refund and someone's desire to trade their X-E2 for an X-T1 has made me the proud owner of a Chrome X-E2. WOW. I have used just about every 35mm camera in the last 40 years (mis-spent part of my youth on the retail side) and can honestly say that this is the most FUN I have ever had with a camera. To me it feels like a camera that just fits.

Hi Rob;

I've owned the Fuji XF 14mm f/2.8R for around six months or so, liked it ok but keep on saying I'd really like something slightly wider for my personal landscape photography, so this week I've sold my XF 14mm lens and ordered a new Samyang 12mm f/2 for my X-Pro 1/X-E1 bodies, arrives tomorrow (Fri 27th Feb), so really looking forward to shooting with it.
It gets fantastic reviews/write up's and the captures I've seen looks marvellous etc... And it's about quarter the price of a new XF 14mm lens.

A close photographic friend of mine bought the Samyang 12mm f/2 for his Fuji X system and he loves it so far.

I'll try upload a few images within the next week or so with the Samyang 12mm f/2.

Best wishes;
Peter
Central Scotland - UK

Mr 'UPS' van man delivered the Samyang 12mm f/2 (Fuji X) fit after 6pm today, "I'm running late" the van driver informed me.

I'm working tomorrow so I'll try get a few practice shots taken and upload soon. Looking forward to our new relationship.

I've got the Rokinon incarnation - same lens, just cheaper at B&H. It is FABULOUS for low light shooting. I use it at wedding receptions for dance floor photos and the extra 2 stops over the Fuji zoom are very valuable when trying to freeze action in low light. I've tested it against the 10-24mm on a real estate shoot for a client and was very impressed with the sharpness across the image, right to the corners. I'm a OEM buyer - this is the first non-manufacturer lens I've had in 15 years of professional shooting, and I purchased it as a holdover until the 16mm f/1.4 was released. Suffice it to say that I won't be getting the 16mm now - this is too good, and at it's current price it is a no-brainer purchase.

Cheers, Antony
www.chasingsummerphoto.com

I must admit, particularly having seen these examples, I am tempted. I have the Samyang 300mm mirror; in the less-used focal lengths it makes sense - particularly with results like these - to not tie up £££ in "glamour bottles". I have the Fuji 14mm - the last time it got used was in November... 2013. I could "bed and breakfast" it for a new Samyang and have money in my pocket, along with a wider and faster lens... I had the Voigtlander 15mm for my Leicas and it's similar logic.

Exactly. I'd use a WIDE lens like this in two basic scenarios:

1. Architecturals
2. Indoor Events at Night (concerts) for "scene setting" shots

In both cases, I could manually focus it just fine, especially considering the wide DOF from such a wide lens...

Back