Fuji Samyang (Fuji X) 100mm F2.8 ED UMC Macro

B

Blythe

I would like to do some 1:1 ratio macro work and did look at the 60mm Fuji Macro, however, from experience 60mm (35mm equivalent of 90mm) isn't long enough and the Fuji 60mm is not a true 1x macro but a 0.5x.

With this in mind I am considering the Samyang 100mm f2.8 Macro instead which is a 1x or 1:1 macro lens but fully manual. Does anyone have any experience of this lens, I understand its new out?

I am aware that Fuji are bringing out a 90mm macro but nobody seems to have details or prices yet.

Or, I could just go with extension tubes the 35mm?

The MCEX extension tubes are a quick and relatively cheap way to macro with existing lenses. It would also be worth you looking at the Zeiss Touit 50mm which does 1-1 without the need for tubes. It's an excellent lens, and a better all-rounder, particularly for travel.

I have written about macro solutions for the X-Series before. These might help:

Fuji X System: Current and future macro solutions

Fuji's new extension tubes: To infinity and beyond

Fuji XF60mm f/2.4R: Kiss of new life for sleeping beauty

Zeiss cold in Funchal: Review of the Touit f/2.8 50mm X-mount

Thank you for those links. I have to say the overall quality from the Touit is pretty amazing and it could make a good third lens to my trinity. I currently have the 14mm and 35mm (21:52 in 35mm terms).

Thanks Geoff. Thats quite a while to wait so I might go for something else for the time being.

Fuji seem to keep pushing back the 1:1 macro...

Iirc....

The 90 was first listed as a macro, then there was a 120 macro, now they're saying its a 80!

Thanks Lightmancer. I am keeping an eye out for a second hand zeiss but people do seem to be reluctant to part with them. Its one of those things, you never see the good ones you want because the good ones don't get resold.

I may have to bite the bullet for a new one at some point. 50mm isn't that far from the 60mm macro fuji have and its 1:1 ratio is certainly more impressive. I have been checking out sample images and reviews and it seems to be an impressive portrait lens as well.

After all your help on here I went for the Zeiss 50mm Touit, and even managed to secure a mint used one on eBay. Just arrived. Thought I'd post some images.

BlytheStorm-0060.JPG

BlytheStorm-0080.JPG

BlytheStorm-0102.JPG

All shot with an XT1, using the supplied mini flash unit as a trigger for a remote speed light set on Manual. Bit of an experiment as I picked up the flash for £25 a few weeks ago and hadn't tried it as yet. At least I found a use for my free Manfrotto Pixi, it makes a great speed light holder for macro shoots.

Back