Sigma San Jose del El Rosario Cemetery - Albuquerque

Went out again to this oddly engaging place, this time with the X-Pro 1 and a couple of Zeiss Hasselbald lenses from my 500CM, a 50mm f4 Distagon and an 80mm f2.8 Planar. I've always loved the lenses on my Hassie and I'm thrilled with the way they render on the X-Trans sensor. They seem uniquely matched.

DSCF1746_v1-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF1737_v1-XL.jpg

DSCF1742_v1-X2.jpg

url=San Jose del el Rosario Cemetary - Albuquerque - lawrenceaustin]
DSCF1745_v1-XL.jpg
[/url]

It's been some time since I posted anything from this cemetery, though I've on occasion continued the project. These were shot with the Sony a7II and the oldie but goodie 1952 50mm f2 Summicron collapsible. I continue to find this cemetery quite moving.

DSC06628.jpg
DSC06630-Edit-Edit.jpg
DSC06637.jpg
DSC06639.jpg
DSC06649.jpg

Last edited:
How do you rate these kind of photos? They're very good, but a thumbs up or a cool seems somewhat inappropriate, hence the hart.
René.
I don't know. I have some difficulty describing my reaction to the place. Oddly enough, I don't find it sad or depressing. It served a poor, largely Hispanic parish, and most of the grave markers are hand-made, those that even go beyond a mere metal place holder, all of which have long since lost the information about who was buried there. I keep coming up with the word "brave" to describe the place. Against poverty and the ravages of time, people still come and place plastic flowers on old graves, and tinsel at Christmas. I find solace in the enduring love that represents, despite the physical decay of its outward markers. The whole place is deeply touching but not depressing, not to me anyway. "Time will say nothing but I told you so".. to quote Auden, but love will say "So what? "

A few more from yesterday's walk around. The last shot was made with a 1949 Elmar, that surprises me. Usually, though I'd use my Zuiko 100.
The area is built up since the cemetery was created, and it is now standwiched between Interstate 25, several industrial buildings, and a main east-west thoroughfare..
DSC06635.jpg
DSC06636.jpg
DSC06641.jpg
DSC06647-2.jpg
DSC06656.jpg
DSC06678.jpg

Back