San Sebastian, Northern Spain

christilou

Legend
Some pictures I took this weekend from our trip to Donostia-San-Sebastian where my husband ran a half marathon on Sunday.

L1001710-Edit-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L1001713-Edit.jpg

L1001727-Edit.jpg

L1001715-Edit-2.jpg

L1001712-Edit-2.jpg

L1001729-Edit.jpg

L1001800-Edit.jpg

L1001831-Edit.jpg

L1001794-Edit.jpg
L1001755-Edit.jpg

Nice place, and nice shots. I thought I recognised it from your “seen strolling...” post. I was there for a few hours in January 2015 (visiting my son who was teaching in Bilbao). It was bitterly cold, too cold to really have a good look around.

About 20 years ago I drove from Santander up to Cherbourg, and stopped off at several interesting places in Spain and France along the way, including San Sebastian, Biarritz, La Rochelle and Mont Saint-Michel. Not bad for a 'business trip' - those were the days.

I liked all the places I stopped, except for San Sebastian, which was curiously quiet and deserted, with all the shops closed. I remember wandering around the streets with my camera and finding the whole town rather grey and depressing. I think perhaps I was unlucky with my timing (I arrived in the middle of the day, and most sensible people were inside having lunch) and with the weather.

An impression like that is hard to shake, despite photographic evidence to the contrary. When I hear San Sebastian mentioned I always think "everything closed, nobody about, grey".

-R

Back