Film Save a 100,000 Analog Cameras

I'm going to start a high-end cassette deck and Walkman Rescue. If anyone has any Akai, Teac, Revox, Studer, Nakamichi or other high end cassette mechanism that they no longer need, just ship it me. I'll get it fixed up and rescue it ;)

I am going to show my cynicism a bit and ask, after reading the linked sites... what makes the group a "Camera Rescue" group as opposed to just being a for-profit gear refurbisher? 🤔
The hipster beards maybe? 😉
But yes, considering the fact that the store that they're selling their "rescued" cameras through is also selling digital cameras and everything else - this looks like just a clever marketing ploy to get some free marketing on dpreview. Those crafty Finns! 👍

oh, speaking of rescuing "audio equipment" - if anyone wants to rescue any unused "Sansa Clip +" or "Sansa Clip Zip" mp3 players, let me know... 😉

(and yes, Luke, I realize that these hardly qualify as audiophile - but once I plug them onto my beyerdynamics DT 770PRO's they sound pretty amazing 🎧 :) )

well, in fairness, I could imagine that they invest more time and effort into this endeavour than they make money out of it...
(even a labour of love needs to be financially sustainable...)

oh, speaking of rescuing "audio equipment" - if anyone wants to rescue any unused "Sansa Clip +" or "Sansa Clip Zip" mp3 players, let me know... 😉

(and yes, Luke, I realize that these hardly qualify as audiophile - but once I plug them onto my beyerdynamics DT 770PRO's they sound pretty amazing 🎧:) )

I was eyeballing a dedicated digital audio player for playing hi-res files awhile ago, and after buying a new pair of headphones, I find that the files I play on my phone are MORE than good enough for walking the dog. I'm not saying that a dedicated player wouldn't sound better.

But I'll stick to rescuing analog gear......it's easier to get people to hand over "outdated" technology.

Yeah, but at the same if your 'rescue' group has a link titled "I would like to research the analog scene" I have to go with Luke's hipster theory. 🤣
I think you'll find that was my theory :)
(I was just trying to be less cynical in my later post - even though I'm leaning more to my first instincts :-D )

I have a couple of reel-to-reel recorders in the basement.

It cost ~$200 to have an SLR serviced at a professional shop these days. Over $100 for a fixed-lens RF. I doubt anyone could sell the serviced cameras for that amount. I've had people ship me three large flat-rate boxes of cameras, all needing some work. I got 60% working again, gave many away or sold for cheap. It takes at least 1 hour per camera, sometimes more. I've spent 12 hours getting a Jupiter-3 lens rebuilt, calibrated, and tested. About the same for converting a Zeiss Sonnar to Leica mount. There is no way someone could justify the per hour cost if I charged "market rates". I stopped taking on work from others, just do not have the time. I'll buy a lens, or a camera, that needs work and do it on my time- giving me a break from writing code. Been doing the latter for over 40 years now. Been fixing cameras for 50. My neighbor got mad at an 8mm electric camera and gave it to me. Took it apart and found the bad connection. I was 11.

What I would like to see is this project post repair manuals and tutorials, like Richard Haw does. I've posted tutorials for the J-3 and converting Sonnar lenses to Leica mount.

I bought a box of Kodak Retina Parts for $60, from a closed repair shop. Used them to bring back several cameras, replace dented top and bottom plates, a lot of fun. I've also parted out some pieces of junk cameras to restore others. Turns out that Canon used the same pitch/length of screws from the early 1950s through to the 80s. You would not think a broken Canonet 28 could be used to replace missing screws on an early 1950s Canon 50/1.9 Collapsible lens.

Capital_Gang.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Retina series is nice. I call these the "Capital Gang", IB, IIC, IIIC. All needed repair. all work great now.

The IIa is smaller, VF a bit squinty- but the 50/2 Xenon is every bit as good as the Collapsible Summicron.

You can always post a want-to-buy on the forum.

Back