Say a prayer for Tom please?

He's been unwell for ages as most of you know, and yesterday had a sneezing fit which made his nose bleed, so made an appt for him to go to the vet this morning. Then late last night he had another, a spontaneous bleed much worse than the first, so it was off to the emergency vet. Got home around 1am with a report that has no good news in it. We are still keeping this morning's appointment, but last night's vet was suggesting I may have to be making a decision I really do not want to.

Please keep him in your thoughts for the next four hours... by then we will know the next step, which I hope is not going to be over the Rainbow Bridge.

Thoughts and prayers with you and Tom. We've all been there before, and know it is atough decision. We kept our beloved "Ernie" going on chemo for two years, he was happy. And a great Mouser. He decided on his own when it was time. With Felix- had to make the decision to not let him suffer just to keep him going another week. That was hard.

I'm with you. I don't know why I love others pets as much as I do, but I feel your pain. I'm just glad we get to make choices to ease suffering for our pets (that we are denied making for our human loved ones). Do what's best for Tom. I'll give our kitties extra snuggles tonight and send our healing thoughts.

Thanks so much, everyone. Its another hour and a half before his appointment... his nose isn't bleeding this morn (Mine is, now!!! raised BP I suppose) so all fingers crossed that last night's vet was wrong and whatever it is can be fixed. Easily. Sadly, finances will not stretch to CT scans and biopsies to diagnose - especially since that is only available in Sydney :( I'm already looking at what I can sell, just in case (including the brand new screen the macbook Pro and the iPad - and a new iPhone is further away than ever).

Tom is more important than "stuff" if the treatments will fix him.

Tom is my last. I can't do this anymore. Ms Smoochie in 2010 and now this, its just too stressful (not just for me, he's really aware, too).

I think I've decided the Rainbow Bridge is simply not an option today or even in the next week. Whatever they say, I want to keep him at home for as long as he is reasonably happy, still eating, still being Tom. He's slowing down, and some days he clearly feels awful, but then there are the other days... I don't want to send him on before its time.

I can't imagine how you feel. My Stanley is getting up there. He still gets around well, but he goes slow until he feels like speeding it up. I know this day is coming soon for me. He developed a benign tumor under his right front leg a while back. When the vet told me he wouldn't recommend removing it because he was too old my heart sank. I'm not sure I have recovered from that because I just never thought about him getting old. I wish I had some good advice for you. I know if I was in your shoes I'd want to keep Stanley with me for as long as humanely possible. You know the other day I was talking to a co worker about dogs (and my trials and tribulations). I told her as frustrating as they can be sometimes, they love you in a way that is impossible for people to love you. Anyway, I'm kind of teary eyed thinking about what you are going through. I'm not part of an organized religion (because they are so politicized here in the US) but I do believe something about us goes on after we die. My dream/belief is Stanley and I will be together wherever that is because if we weren't I don't know how I will go on living without him. I sincerely believe you, Tom and Ms. Smoochie will be together again as cornball as that sounds.

I hope it's okay to post this. For me, this in some way applies to all animals. My prayers are with you and Tom.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

One of mine...Susha lost the use of her back legs ad the vets told me it was time. i decided that it was time when she told me it was time. So for two years she carried on happily. I would take hr outside using a towel I had fashioned into a sling and she enjoyed life as much as ever. As she got older various things stopped woking and one day I woke up to find her sitting in a lot of blood. The vets again told me to was time and I looked into her eyes and asked her. She let me know she wasn't ready yet so I made her comfortable and about a month later I heard her make a little bark. I came down stairs and it was time. I held her in my arms and she passed within about a minute. I never regretted that decision.

Trust Tom.

I lost three pets within the last year. We currently have a 19 year old cat, a turtle, a rat and then my husband saved a baby bird a crow was attacking. I can't do it every time I have to do it. And good for you Sue, I go without for pet med bills too. My cat is on meds, got worse recently so had to up her dose. I love them like they are my kids but after they are gone I think I will have to stop getting pets. I have a stack of rainbow bridge cards and so may breaks in my heart. Still crossing my fingers for Tom.

Update

The vet is of the same opinion as last night's vet, that being that there is something growing in there. Unfortunately, after I did my sums, it seems I don't have enough resources to sell off, to afford the $2k+ for diagnostic stuff, nor the further $2k+ for treatment. So its palliative care and symptomatic treatment for Tom. More nosebleeds and the vet thinks the decision may be taken out of my hands. Its antibiotics at the moment, his temp is up somewhat, so that will help a bit and he will feel better. He has to go back in 2 weeks for a checkup, or before, for the inevitable, if the bleeds persist.

In the meantime, he is ensconced in front of "his" heater, and is ignoring me for now. Don't blame him. The ignominy of it all.

Back