Say a prayer for Tom please?

Truly sorry to hear the news about Tom, make the most of your time together, I hope the bleeds stop and maybe he stays around for a while yet.

It's never a good time as an animal owner ESP when they are more family than pet.

We just had to get emergency surgery on our little Bella the chuauaha. She is recovering after a long night.

All you can do is give them all your love and help them have the best life, I know Tom had the best life with you Sue.

I'm sorry to hear about the recent events with Tom, but it's comforting to hear that he is with you during this time. My thoughts are with you and wish the both of you as much quality time together as possible.

Prayers and thoughts are with you Sue at the time of decision. I'm glad you have a little more time. When my Bella was sick just a month ago now our vet gave her a blood transfusion - in the end it wasn't enough but for one day she had a little more strength and a brightness in her eye. We were torn up when we realised that the relief was only temporary but looking back we are so grateful for that one extra day when she was a little more herself.

In the end, as others have testified, we knew when the time had come. Bella was a street dog. Most of them die alone, often in pain. We committed ourselves to ensure that Bella would not do so. In the end she passed away with our touch on her fur, our voices in her ear. I knelt beside her and held her eye until she fell asleep. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do and even now the tears are rolling down my cheeks, but it was the right thing to do.

Best wishes for the days ahead with Tom. Enjoy them, however long they last. And be assured you're not alone.

sadly our pets lives are way too short, having been there too many times, I really what you are going through and feel for you, when we get close to the end it always hard to make the decision, I have done both and I really cannot help you to decide which is the best way.
, my thoughts are with you and Tom.

It's a wonderful thing to know that YOU are taking such good loving care for Tom. I'm sure he is appreciating the love you are giving and every second you are with him is precious. My prayers are with you both.

I'm really sorry to hear about the recent events, without going too much into it , I went through a similar experience and it was very difficult. Tom's very lucky to have someone like you. My thoughts are with you and Tom

Wow, this is some sad stuff. I would like for him to get better for sure but I have gone through this scenario before. When I would have a dog in the past get really sick and it's time was rapidly approaching to move on from this earth, I would say no, let God decide when he wants the dog.

The last time I was in this situation, I had a Irish Setter named Liam. He was about nine and had a bone cancer that is super fast growing and they always, always die from it. The vet told me the cancer was so fast growing, it would not be the thing that killed him. He would have a harder and harder time breathing as the tumor filled his chest and displaced his lungs and he would suffocate eventually. He said the dog might last ten days. I told the vet OK, I will wait the ten days so he can live as long as possible and be comforted by me as best I could. Then the vet told me that I was being selfish and cruel and putting off the inevitable while the dog suffered was in his opinion wrong. He was right so I held the dog while he gave him his last shot. Hardest thing I've ever done, but I would do it again.

Next Update

Tom seems better this morning. Might just be the calm before the storm. He sneezed a couple of times last night and no sign of bleeding (just other gunk UGH) and this morning he's back to his normal routine.

Thanks everyone for your prayers, good wishes and hugs, I think he's responding to them as well as the antibiotics.. at least for his discomfiting symptoms.

Sue, this vets advice is don't waste your money on lots of diagnostic tests to find something you can't treat anyway - all that gets you is a piece of paper with an answer on it and a bill. Routine bloods are a good idea, but beyond that symptomatic treatment is what I would do for my own pet - antibiotics and steroids.

My standard chat for all owners faced with a terminal illness is to take their pet home and give it the best time possible - ice cream, tuna, log fires, lying under the stars together. Then when it is time you'll know what you have to do. You will know when it is time. But for now, enjoy each other.

Losing my last dog broke me for a long time. He wasn't just a dog. He was part of me, he just knew stuff. He saw me through all the darkness, then enjoyed some of the light, then once he knew I was safe, made his exit. Sometimes I thought it would kill me. But instead Roddy came along. Murphy seems to have been teaching Roddy - as time goes on he picks up more and more of Murphy's habits, not anything we teach, just odd wee dog things.
I'll never quite get over Murph though. He was the best dog in the world.

One thing I have now done for years is when the older dog starts to get sick, is bring a puppy in to the house, I have now done this four times and every time I have had the fortunate result of adding time, sometimes even years to the life of the older dog, even though there are times the puppy annoys them, most of the time it seems to help ease their pain and add joy to their life, the second thing it does for us is it gives us joy in at time of sadness, it helps us to move forward, without feeling like we are replacing our dear friend.
Everyone has to what is best for them, but this has worked well for us.

So very sorry to hear about this, Sue. I trust that things are picking up for Tom and that you are remaining in good spirits.

We've only had one cat, a stray who came to visit and stayed when we fed her. She was a lovely calico with long shaggy fur. As we fed her over the months, the condition of her fur became better and better and she resided in our garden most of the time, stalking the birds and chasing the bugs. She was with us for over three years, but began to behave erratically over a week or so, and then vanished. We loved her very much, and years later we still think of her green eyes peeping over the patio in those first weeks of contact.

...ice cream, tuna, log fires, lying under the stars together. Then when it is time you'll know what you have to do. You will know when it is time. But for now, enjoy each other.

:) thanks, Heather, that's what we are going to do. Not the tuna though. He loves it but hasn't had any for nearly 8 years... gets bladder crystals and I traced it to tuna. And, oddly, he doesn't much like ice cream. He prefers that I leave some porridge for him, and in summer, its weetbix.

Losing my last dog broke me for a long time. He wasn't just a dog. He was part of me, he just knew stuff. He saw me through all the darkness, then enjoyed some of the light, then once he knew I was safe, made his exit. Sometimes I thought it would kill me. But instead Roddy came along. Murphy seems to have been teaching Roddy - as time goes on he picks up more and more of Murphy's habits, not anything we teach, just odd wee dog things.
I'll never quite get over Murph though. He was the best dog in the world.

Yeah I hear ya. I was like that about Ms Smoochie. I've had a lot of cats but she was my mate. A little friend who came along at a time I was pretty much on the brink. I always said she saved my life. Tom learnt a lot from her (and so he should have, he's here only because of her generosity in inviting him to stay) and even though I love him to bits, and he's a fabulous companion... I'm not over Ms Smoochie and probably never will be. In the meantime though, Tom is here and in need, and he's a terrific animal (he thinks he's a dog, you know... if ever I can get out and walk the neighbourhood for a little way, he comes along!)

Thanks for your good wishes and advice, its really appreciated.

Tom seems better this morning. Might just be the calm before the storm. He sneezed a couple of times last night and no sign of bleeding (just other gunk UGH) and this morning he's back to his normal routine.

Thanks everyone for your prayers, good wishes and hugs, I think he's responding to them as well as the antibiotics.. at least for his discomfiting symptoms.

Some good news then. Hopefully it keeps getting better. Best wishes.

Back