SC Photo Challenge......a question

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
Before I move on to this challenge........I am likely not alone in having noticed that the challenge gathers fewer and fewer submissions. It goes without saying that the quality is always high......but is the appetite still there for it? I am happy to curate the challenge. Any other views?

Cheers
Pete

Is this just a "lately" thing or is the whole thing in a downtown? I know for me from December to about beginning of March, between weather and work being kind of lean, I don't get to shoot as much.

Thanks Andrew. I think it has been going like this for a while. I don't shoot so much either. I used to shoot every day....every single day from sunrise to sunset and any other time. Is it like this for other members? Too much stuff impacting on our daily lives? I shoot about once a week on average now.

As I said, I am happy to curate if the consensus is to continue.

I also think there is some burnout after the SIJ challenge. BTW, when I saw the thread title, I thought "a question" was the next subject.

now, there is a thought. A question...........But I have something else up my sleeve!

( I am finding it hard to type at the moment. I have very little feeling in my finger tips when cold....Reynauds?.......and it is a very weird sensation when typing)

I'm pretty well finished making photos....I just hang out here to make myself feel less anti-social.

But I say keep it going. I think the whole site has seen a lot less action in general, so it's not related to the challenge. If we have one less reason for people to participate, it can have a snowball effect.

Also, consider that some are not comfortable having their work "judged"

Another point is that one doesn't need to participate in the challenge to enjoy the photos and the curator's insight.

I'd say give it a go, there's probably an element of burnout, but tbh I noticed the dropoff really almost immediately the "post a pic related to the one before" began. Prior to that, I think it was more about the topic. For example I prefer to shoot something thats fairly concrete, rather than try to shoot something thats nebulous and without form. So I will often not participate in those.

Speaking as someone who hasn't participated for a while for reasons explained elsewhere I say keep it going. I think there is a bit of burnout evident at the moment; I would describe it as ennui. I think winter is also a contributory factor. I also think that we need a new stimulus. Any ideas...?

Speaking as someone who hasn't participated for a while for reasons explained elsewhere I say keep it going. I think there is a bit of burnout evident at the moment; I would describe it as ennui. I think winter is also a contributory factor. I also think that we need a new stimulus. Any ideas...?
I agree totally , Bill. After SIJ I have definitely taken a bit of a breather, but what with winter & all, I'm feeling short of inspo as the young & trendy types say. Maybe a subject that's a bit more defined would be a good idea to get people moving?

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated, and I agree with all sentiments. Nothing is taken too seriously, and it is just a small & light hearted competition to look, enjoy and...... maybe..... even learn.

I will continue the challenge in a new thread.

Being an avid YouTube viewer I keep thinking shooting video would be fun. That might make an interesting challenge this year. Most compacts let you shoot video. I’ve never tried to pull a montage together to make a short video but I’m gonna have a go before the year is out.

I really like the challenges, even though my own shooting has reduced ever since i got a job, basically... but i do try to participate when an image from my backlog seems to fit the theme.

I hardly ever shoot video, but i do like the video contest idea!

Back