Performing Arts Scat Jazz Club

Rick Waldroup

Veteran
Scat Jazz Club - Fort Worth, Texas - May 10, 2014

p550032299-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks, aj and BB, for the comments.

The Scat Jazz Bar is like stepping into a time machine. It is accessible only from an alley off 4th street. There is an old freight elevator in the alley that takes you down to the Scat, which is located in a basement of an old hi-rise in downtown Fort Worth. When the elevator doors open, you are immediately transported into a great jazz bar that has a vintage look and feel of cocktail bars from the late 50's and early 60's. Throw in a great swing band such as Riki Derick and the Vegas Six, some nice smooth dancing by a couple in love, and this is the result.

This is one of my favorite bars to hang out.

This shot turned out to be much trickier than I anticipated. I had forgotten just how dark it can be inside the Scat and I kept timing my shot to try and get just the right amount of light on the dancing couple as well as the proper amount of blur on them.

BB, I am always amazed at how many young people show up at these shows at the Scat, although this particular couple that is dancing is closer to my age. And they dress to the nines, as well. Like I mentioned before, when you have a venue that looks like the Scat, and most of the patrons are dressed up in the fashions from that era, it really does take you back to another time.

I believe the band was playing, My Funny Valentine, when i shot this.

Back