Travel Scotland Trip (image heavy)

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
So, we had our week and a bit in Scotland. I drove 1100 miles and we ate a lot of haddock! I also took quite a few photos...here are a few of them.

First stop - Stirling where we visited the Bannockburn memorial and the old town
20210910-DSC05364.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20210910-DSC05369-Pano.jpg

20210910-DSC05372.jpg

Next stop - the county (sorry, "Kingdom") of Fife. Culross:
20210911-P9110004.jpg

20210911-P9110005.jpg

20210911-P9110007.jpg

Then St Monan's:
20210911-DSC05377.jpg

Pittenweem:
20210911-DSC05382.jpg

20210911-DSC05387.jpg

We stayed in St Cyrus up the east coast, just into Aberdeenshire, which is a small village with a huge beach:
20210912-DSC05391.jpg

20210915-P9150070.jpg

20210914-P9140037.jpg

Also visited were Stonehaven:
20210913-DSC05415-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

20210913-DSC05416.jpg

20210913-DSC05418.jpg

Dunnottar Castle:
20210913-P9130025.jpg

Glamis Castle (of Macbeth fame)
20210915-DSC05424.jpg

20210915-DSC05433-Edit.jpg

Lunan Bay:
20210912-DSC05405.jpg

And the Hillfort "Brown Caterthun: (view from top)
20210916-DSC05444.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Martin for this series. It brings back old memories. Having spent one year at Edinburgh university I returned to Scotland every two years to spend my holidays there. I must confess that I know this beautiful country better than my own. Except for the south western borders region (Burns country) I've seen every part in depth, including the Orkneys, passing wonderful nights and delicious breakfasts in B'n'Bs. I was even woken by a Black Forest coockoo-clock in John o'Groats. Due to the long-time relationship with France the Scottish meals were far better than the English ones I've had. And yes, I do love Haggis. A friend of mine in Edinburgh cooked the most delicious Haggis I've ever had. The Burns Night in the Edinburgh Town Hall for foreign students was a treat I'll never forget.

And the scones, cakes and home-made shortbread fingers I got with a cuppa tea in the afternoon in the B'n'Bs ... I must stop now, it gets overwhelming. Time for a wee dram of single malt, there should be some 12 year Glengrant left, mmmhhh!
I could have imagined staying there for ever if I had there been flats or houses without drafts (open chimneys and those “scaffold windows”). At least those drafts made me come to know more than two dozen single malts of various ages during the long evening talks wrapped in pullovers or blankets. Quite a contrast to the sunny south of Germany.

Last edited:
What??? No haggis or red pudding???
Hope you had a great time in Scotland.
I also spent a whole week with not a single dram passing my lips 😭 but I did discover battered smoked haddock, which was fabulous, probably because the food was served at the same harbour where the fish was landed and smoked. We had a great time anyway!

Thanks for sharing these, Martin.

They remind me of my plan last year to visit my brother in Germany then go to Scotland just to do the NC500, which is voted by many as one of the best road trips. The COVID pandemic, which is an endemic now, changed everything.

As soon as things stabilise, I will probably just go straight to Scotland just to do the NC500.

Thanks for sharing these, Martin.

They remind me of my plan last year to visit my brother in Germany then go to Scotland just to do the NC500, which is voted by many as one of the best road trips. The COVID pandemic, which is an endemic now, changed everything.

As soon as things stabilise, I will probably just go straight to Scotland just to do the NC500.
I had always fancied doing that route myself, but it has become very busy by all accounts, as it has been so well marketed, not as bad as the Ring of Kerry in Ireland but still heavy traffic and full car parks in the popular places, and nutters racing each other to finish the route. That may be journalistic hyperbole of course and I'm sure that if you take your time it'd be a very worthwhile road trip.

Back